Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a bit worried today, worried and mad!

I got a bit worried today, worried and mad!

As you may or may not know my dog Bob tends to pick up stuff when we are out walking - anything and everything. Anyway, we were out on the field close to my home, just coming back home in fact when he picks something up, manage to get it out of his mouth and it turns out to be a syringe (picture attached, you can see where his teeth held on to it) but thankfully no needle left on the end, I took it home and put it in the rubbish bin.
    I thought this might happen one day because of Bob`s picking up habit and that, come nightime, you can bet your life there will be some druggie shooting up out there. I have found syringes on the field before -the last one hadn`t even been used!- and have called someone out to dispose of it safely.

I did make inquires about if there was any risk to Bob and myself after handling the syringe today (even though I don`t really think there is) but even though I called several times I didn`t get to speak to the person I wanted. Maybe tommorow.

Well, thats about it, thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maybe someone was using it for another purpose besides drugs? (wishful thinking, I know). I use those kind of syringes sometimes to feed my bottle babies.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

that sounds awful. If you didn't prick yourself with the needle I'm guessing you'd be ok. (But I don't have medical training so please don't take my word on it).

I hope you and Bob are ok.

These are not the droids you were looking for

That's horrible! I know those people may not be of sound mind while they are getting high...but is there no other place to do that? A field? Jeeesh!

I'm so glad there wasn't a needle.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Oh my!

That would be quite scary I'm glad to hear that there was no needle and Bob is alright. Tell him he shoudn't be picking up such things

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'm glad it didn't have a needle in it...that sounds like quite a scare. I remember this one time, my cousin had found a needle after sticking her hand in a pocket of a luggage bag. Very scary indeed.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Ewww! This has got to be really unnerving for you!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Yuck!

If they must do that, why can't they just do it in their own homes? Sheesh!

I'm glad there was no needle! You should be alright (again no medical training, just common sense) as long as you disinfected well when you got home.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

No wonder you were worried! What an irresponsable behaviour, they could at least hae taken it to a bin.

As long as Bob didn't chew a hole in it, he should be safe. I suppose you checked that. A good thing you took steps to have the field checked for more!

Stay safe!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Good grief Chris - that's too scary. I reckon you're OK if there's no needle in - but hey what do I know!

I feel so angry for you 'cos we've had a similar thing happening on the field at the back of our house - only this one was found by a child!

I wonder if these people who shoot up in public places have any sense whatsoever? If makes my blood boil

Would it be worth having a word with the local police? Maybe some sort of watch could be kept on the field concerned. At least if the users know there could be a police presence it might make them keep away.

Anyway I'm just relieved that Bob and yourself were unharmed

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Wow! I'm glad there was no needle and you were able to take it away from Bob before he chomped down on it and maybe somehow licked some of the residue. I think I would alert police also so they may watch this particular area. Bob may have a future as a drug sniffing dog. What do you think?

Sorry to hear this, yes it is sad that people leave those things lying there for kids and animals to hurt themselves on. Hope Bob is ok now.

Thanks everyone for your responses and concern.
    Maybe someone was using it for another purpose besides drugs? (wishful thinking, I know). I use those kind of syringes sometimes to feed my bottle babies.
    Oh, Aly I wish. I know what you mean about the ones used at home, I have one too, to give Bob liquid medicine, but my previous experience of finding these things leaves me with no doubt that one is/was used for injecting purposes.
    That's horrible! I know those people may not be of sound mind while they are getting high...but is there no other place to do that? A field? Jeeesh!
    Kelly, sadly, the people who use the stuff have no other thought except how to satisfy their craving, some people around here have even found used needles in their gardens!
    Would it be worth having a word with the local police? Maybe some sort of watch could be kept on the field concerned. At least if the users know there could be a police presence it might make them keep away.
    Good idea Lynne, but the police are already aware of the problem, and the sad fact is that it is almost impossible to fully police this particular field, or indeed the area for drug users. Though I will say the police are making some inroads in the drug situation in general with detection and arrest numbers increasing. But I doubt that we will ever get rid of illegal drugs and the problems they bring, either here in Wales, in the UK, or indeed any country, anywhere. JMO
    Bob may have a future as a drug sniffing dog. What do you think?
    Pam, you could be right!

Well, I never tried again to check anything about the health risks, I `ve gave it some thought and decided that we, Bob and I, will most likely be ok. And if by any chance we will not, worrying about it will do no good!
    Thanks once again for your thoughts and concern, it means a lot.

Chris & Bob.

take care in picking up the syringe!!!
    do not stick yourself and take care if there are any fluids within the barrel...

If you have any open cuts in your skin, hand or nail area PLEASE USE EXTRA CAUTION in touching any part of the syringe.

wash your hand as soon as possible with a good antibacterial soap or bleach, and you should be alright!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Thanks Richard! In this instance I couldn`t be careful in getting hold of the syringe because it was in my dog Bob`s mouth but other than that...there wasn`t an actual needle still attached (must still be on the field somewhere), luckily Bob didn`t puncture the syringe, just made a dent, I am almost certain there wasn`t any fluid left inside, I don`t have any broken skin on my hands and when I got home I washed my hands with a bleach mixture AND anti-bacterial soap. So I got some things right sort of by instinct!
    And now, thanks to you, I know exactly what to do, and not to do, if I, or anyone I know, find and have to pick up one again.
    Once again, thanks!

Chris