Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Miss Edwina and Furry Friends like her

Question for Miss Edwina and Furry Friends like her

Miss Edwina,
    My name is Rocky. You and I haven't formally met. But, I've noticed your photos and enjoy your hats. You are very sophisticated.
    But, what caught my attendtion was your recent haircut. It's quite becoming for you.
    You see, I believe that you and I have similiar fur. We're short haired kitties, but fluffier than most. My fur is beginning to drive my mom nuts. She says I shed like crazy and the fur is now floating through the air. (I think she is looney.)
    She bought this brush that she thinks does a great job. But, it's quite uncomfortable for me.
    So, I'm wondering what you can tell me about your new haircut. Did it help? Are you cooler now? What type of clipper did your dad use? Should I have mom take me to a vet or groomer for this type of cut?

Or are there any other tools out there that mom can use instead of that rubber brush!

Thanks for listening,
    Your friend, Rocky.
    Here' s my photo so you can see my fur.

!

Dear Rocky,

You have described my fur exactly! Short but VERY fluffy. I get that complaint about my fur being everywhere -- especially in the Spring. Then momma reminds poppa that he promised if he could get a cat he would keep her brushed because of momma's allergies, blah, blah, blah!

Anyway...I didn't really get a hair CUT. Poppa got this brush....I'm sure it has a technical name. It is a round strip of metal with a handle and teeth on both outer edges. The teeth are small on one side than the other. It takes out far more of the loose hair than a regular brush -- especially the under hair. Then he uses a metal fine-toothed comb.

I won't say I like it but I sure get rid of TONS of hair this way. I look skinner and feel better too!

Good luck....

Edwina

Dear Rocky,
    My name is Monte and I am a short haired cat. I shed a wghole lot and I like to bathe myself VERY regularly. I have been getting those very uncomfortable hairballs that cause me to throw up. My Mama, who is a pet groomer, decided that I needed my fur shaved off. I have been very comfortable lately and not a single hairball in 3 1/2 weeks. Your mom might just want to take you to a groomer to see what they can do for you. Here I am with my short hair:

Edwina, is this the "brush" your poppa uses?

I've seen these around, but never thought about using one. I thought they were more for dogs, but I guess I'll have to invest in one because Tubby is getting a little ridiculous with leaving his hair everywhere. I particularly hate it when I'm petting him, then my nose itches and I forget that I have fur all over my hands when I touch my face. I think fur on your face is kinda like sand in the house. All you need is one grain/strand and it magically multiplies all by itself!

Amazingly enough, Tubby with his short hair, loses much more than Peanut with her long hair....then again, Peanut loses her share of it too.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Exactly!!!

I am so going to go get one of those things!! We can no longer take Noah to the groomers for his haircuts (my grumpy "old" man likes to bite the poor girl!) and we've had to do what we can at home. Will that help a long haired cat too?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Amazingly enough, Tubby with his short hair, loses much more than Peanut with her long hair....then again, Peanut loses her share of it too. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Tubby and Peanuts Mom,
    My black short hair cat also sheds much more than my two long hair cats. I can brush and comb her forever and there is always loose hair all over her body.

Jen, I dare you to groom this one:

I can't even brush him without him attacking me and the brush.

Rocky, your mom is not looney! We also have fur floating through the air, how else would it get into my coffee cup?
    Last edited by auggie; 06-26-2003 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    It's a shedding blade!

I've used 'em on horses (and they work miracles) but have never heard of using 'em on kitties or pups!

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    It's a shedding blade!

I've used 'em on horses (and they work miracles)
    but have never heard of using 'em on kitties or pups!
    Yep! They "Work Miracles" on medium to long hair Dawggies, too!

We've got a "horse style" one - has three *rings* of tooth'd blades - 3 different ring diameters from large to small - all mounted to the same handle.

They work *great* as long as the "Brusher" is reasonably gentle when working on thinly covered areas - like legs, hips, heads.
    Cinder has a "fluffy" coat - doesn't lay flat like most Shepherd coats do; and the Blades really pull out the dead hair.
    Smokey has a very short coat - and it lays down flat over most of his body. The Shedding Blade digs through his coat quite nicely; but extra caution is required to not dig *too* deep or be too rough on his legs.

KAT - Nebber tried it on Him!
    But we're sure Going To!

Boots also has a medium length, VERY "fluffie" coat!
    Horse Blade might be a little large on him - but if it works we'll find a smaller Kat-sized version. I've been using a small dawg brush on him - the kind with dozens of small, stiff wires protruding from a rubber base. It does a pretty good job removing his dead hair - but I'm curious to see if the Shedding Blade might do it either better or *quicker*! Boots has a rather *low tolerance* for extended grooming sessions. (And I have the scars to proove it! )
    Memo to Self: Klip the KLAWZ First, Dummie! THEN do the brushing!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

My Cirrus is short haired and has been shedding a lot too. I may just have to buy one of these. It will also help me when Sky's fur grows back in.

The shedding blade is now on my shopping list. Any idea where I can get one. I didn't see it on the petco.com site. And my pet store in town doesn't have them

What a great idea!!!
    Thanks everyone.

Rocky thanks you too. He got a brushing again last night and was a very unhappy camper.

Moose , Joseph and michael all got brushed yesterday! There was enough from moose The magnificent and Juke joint Joseph to make a Whole New cat! The Siamese are short haired but got brushed anyways! Edwina and Monte are so handsome now! Meeeeow til the ParrrTEEE!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Any tack shope would have one. I never even thought about one for cats...but what a wonderful Idea! Kaliban has a super thick undercoat and it seems as if no matter how many times I comb her she still is constantly shedding and getting tufts in her haunches....shedding blade here I come!

Denyce

Found it!!!shedding blade

Originally posted by 2kitties
    Found it!!!shedding blade
    Yep, you guys are too fast for me.

I was going to say that the first pic I posted was from the PetSmart website and the second was from the PetCo website. I think they were both under $10.00.

Hmmmm.....seems there's going to be a run on Shedding Blades, better get mine today before they sell out.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl