Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem dog

Problem dog

My dog Kiki, who is a Papillon X. We adopted him last august, at the end of summer holidays. He was not fixed when we got him. We got him fixed in October. Before he was fixed, he was fine with other dogs and people. Since he was fixed, he's become VERY aggressive with other dogs and other people, even if he got along with them before he was fixed. Has anyone else here had this problem?

Gosh, that the opposite of what usually happens! Are there certain situations he's aggresive in?

Not really. If he sees or hears another dog, he starts barking and growling. Or, if he sees someone or some people just waslking along, he's attemp to lung at them. Also, if we have someone over, he barks and barks at them, and if they try to take a step from the front door, to the hall, he'll go for their ankles.

My cat was the same way, she used to be so sweet but after she was spayed she was and still is very cautious around people. If she lets you pet her that's luckey but if you pet her near her stomach she'll claw you and hiss and sometimes bite.
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

How old was kiki when you got him and how old is he now?
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Kiki was about 2 and 1/2. He is now 3 and 1/2.

Usually the time at which dog/dog aggression is going to show is between 2 and 3 years old. Sounds like you should work on some extra training.

Good luck!
    ~Kat

He's so stubborn. He will only do things for my dad I can't get him to do a thing for me. I'm also trying train him as a 4-H dog for other kids to use. I have e-mail Dr. Stanely Coren about his behavior, and Dr. Coren said it was most likely he was not socialized properly as a pup. I agree. Also, at his last obedience class, he tried to bite my friend's Standard Poodle on the nose! I don't know what to do with him. He'll attemp to bite anyone who tries to pet him if they are not me, my mom, my dad, or my sister. But once he gets used to someone being in the house for a while, he will calm down.

You might take another obedience class with him - you and him. He needs to learn that YOU are the big dog here, not him. Walk him, work with him, another class will help with socializing, especially if you talk to the instructor first.

I know the instructor of the class, as she is one of the moms of two girls in the Junior Kennel club in our area. I might try another one if he doesn't improve soon.

I'm sure another training class will help. My Kito wasn't socialized properly as a pup either--he can handle other dogs, but he cannot meet them while he is leashed--he goes crazy!!! If he meets them off leash, he's fine, unless they're small. He does well with all of the dogs we need him too, my parents, my mother in laws, and ours, but I usually cross the street if there's another dog coming on our walks.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Leashed or unleashed, Kiki can't meet other dogs. He'll try to bite, snap, and he will lunge. I won't take him off leash becsue he does have a tendancy to run of. he's done it before. Just if he sees a dog and that dog is all friendly and wagging it's tail, he's snarling and barking, and trying to jump at them.

ORLANDO

He just hasn't learned that he is not top dog. It will take a lot of time on your part, working with him. Correct him when things are not acceptable, keep rewards with you when he does even the tiniest good thing. Keep him crated after he has done a bad thing. Go to one or two behavorial classes, discuss with the instructor that you are there to UNlearn some bad habits BE persistant.....He loves you, but he thinks more of himself at this time and knows he can get away with it.

Janice - - - - -

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Thank you LAURA.....

Even keeping treats with me will not work. He gets distracted so easly. He knows who's top dog in our house, and that's my dad. The problem is, my parents are not willing to take him to behavior classed.

ORLANDO

If you have any Independent Income and Kiki is your dog you can get into behavioral training on your own. Why do you think you need your parents permission to do what is right for you and you dog.
    You asked for help with this dog, are you willing to try some of the suggestions?
    Janice - - - - -

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Thank you LAURA.....