Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby and mother attacked by dog.

Baby and mother attacked by dog.

In the Honolulu Advertiser, June 10, 2001, there is an article by Karen Blakeman, Advertiser Staff Writer:

"Pit bull kills baby in Puna. Mother injured in attack at home.

An 18-month-old boy is dead and his 24-year-old mother seriously injured after a pit bull attacked them yesterday on the Big Island.

Lt James Kelly of the Puna police said the attack occurred at about 6 p.m. at the family's home in the Hawaiian Acres Subdivision in Mountain View, Puna.

The baby's father, Sandy Hilderbrand, returning home for the evening with a friend, found his son, Tyran Moniz-Hilderbrand dead and the dog still attacking the baby's mother, Luana Moniz.

The dog belonged to a friend and the family was keeping it as a favor, Kelly said. It had slipped its collar shortly before the father was due to arrive home.

Hilderbrand and his friend killed the dog with a pickax, likely saving the Monix's life.

She was taken to Hilo Medical Center, where she was undergoing surgery late last night.

Kelly said an investigation into the dog's history will be conducted, and a vet will examine the dog's remains.

No determination has been made as to whether any charges will be filed in the matter, Kelly said."

There is a serious problem in this state, of morans raising and training pit bulls to fight. If the dog had slipped its collar, it must have been tied up for a reason. How sad that an innocent child has to pay for some so-called adult's stupid choices. The pounds here are full of pit bulls and pit bull mixes. And I only see the adoptable ones. I myself rescued and trained a 3 yr. old female pit bull mix, with a very loving and sweet personality She is now in a loving home. But those who create killing machines should be prosecuted and locked up. The lives of these parents and their family will never be the same again. I will add any updates.

Thats horrible for the people... im crying now... errrrr they shouldnt have done anything to the dog STUPID STUPID STUPID people!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh my god! There has been sooooo many Pit Bull attacks lately! About the Rottweiler attack with the Hairdresser, did the dog actually EAT the baby? It's kinda hard to believe. People should keep thesE vicsious dogs at home and NOT around other people! (And I'm not JUST talking about Pit Bulls).

------------------
    ***.Sadie May and LabLover.*** .*Labs rule the universe*

http://hometown.aol.com/sarahbcm/myhomepagedog.html

God, this is awful. You hear about this all of the time... therefore bad impressions are given to pit bulls and some rotties. I have only heard about the pit bull attacks though. I find it hard to say that I hate any animal and I want to blame the way that animal is raised but is it always the humans fault if they treat a dog with love? Some people that own pit bulls don't train them to fight so what happens? Is it really inate with the breed? I just wish I knew.

I myself don't trust pit bulls because I don't know what their background is but I can't say I hate them. I just wish I knew the details of how this breed came about so we could understand them better.

KayAnn, you love the breed so can you help fill us in on some details about them?

Thanks - Angel

Strong and determined. Originally bred to fight but now tends to remain calm unless otherwise provoked. Can make a good pet with careful training and socialization. Has retained more of its fighting instinct than its cousin, the American Staffordshire Terrier. Caution should be taken to avoid unethical breeders creating dogs of questionable physiology and temperament. May also be called a Yankee Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier, or American Bull Terrier. Note: According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, this dog has a history of biting.

i also wanted to add alot of the dogs you say are angels have the .. Note: According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, this dog has a history of biting. at the end

[This message has been edited by *BaSim* (edited June 10, 2001).]

Thanks KayAnn

In response to your last comment, I recall hearing something years ago about the Dalmation. It topped the list for most likely to turn on you or most viscious or something. Does anyone know if that is true?

Angel

What I can't understand is why in the world these people would agree to "watch" this dog for their friend, if he had vicious tendencies. He slipped his collar??? Something is wrong folks, unless this is the very first time anything like this ever occured with this dog.

I am so, so sorry that this happened. It is another slap against the pitbull, and is probably undeserved.

Logan

This is off the topic but I wanted to tell KayAnn that Molly, the Staffordshire terrier, was adopted today! YAY!

YAY!!!!!

Hurray for Molly!!

------------------

The anwser about Dalmations, I'm not sure if they will turn on you, but they will bite. No one would expect it from a cute little Dalmation, but they are one of the top dogs for biting. My husband has one. I was lucky, he likes me. The werid thing is that my brother-in-law walked in the yard, and petted Blue three different times, but the fourth time, Blue decided he didn't like him, and tried to take his hand off. My brother-in-law now has scars on his hand that looks like bullet wounds. But he was good about it. Said Blue was just doing his job......but he won't let his little girl have one.....

Why is it that the headlines always scream "Dog Attacks" never "child teased dog to dog's breaking point?" i watched a child tease my dog through the car the window and by the time i got back to the car Bug was pretty wound up. When i mentioned the bad habit of the child to the father he got in my face about calling it a bad habit - that it wasn't a bad habit and how dare i say that teasing a dog was a bad habit that his son. (he had been there the whole time and wasn't paying attention to what either of his kids were doing) Hopefully that child will get bit by a small dog in time to learn its lesson.

Yes, sometimes dogs do just "attack" but in most cases its provoked first - heck maybe the mom was teasing the dog without realizing what power the dog had or how it was trained.

all in all its a bad situation turned worse. I do hope the family heals and know that in time they will heal - but never forget. and what a tragic way.

bug's mom

[This message has been edited by bugmom (edited June 11, 2001).]

I'm with bugmom. Very few times will a dog attack or bite without provocation. We have 2 pit mixes and they are great. Serenity is a little agressive sometimes but when reprimanded she always backs off. She has a thing for attacking leashes!! lol She really is a sweetie. I wonder if anyone ever puts in the headlines that pitbulls are rated in the top 10 best breeds to have with children? I doubt it...it seems the media likes stereotypes.

Mugsy -

I just got a mental picture of two dogs meeting on the corner and one "attacking" the leash of the other with the little thought bubble of "don't worry. i'll get this snake off of you in no time!" reminds me of the scene in Lady and the Tramp where they get the beaver to chew off the muzzle.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bugmom:
    [B]Why is it that the headlines always scream "Dog Attacks" never "child teased dog to dog's breaking point?" [QUOTE][B]

I know what your talking about. My dog Hercules was teased as a puppy by neighborhood kids. They would bark at him and throw stuff thorough the fence. now today he hates kids. He sees them and he sees red. He has gotton better through training but I can't really bring him anywhere. It's really sad

------------------