Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone want to ease my mind??

The experience is different for everyone. My sister's cheeks swelled so much she looked like a chipmonk for days afterwards ... she had all four done at once, (before they came in) they put her under to do it. She ate only soft food for three or four days.

Same doctor, same hospital, when I had mine done, she was looking forward to paying me back for all the teasing I did to her. But when I had mine done (all four at once, before they came in or got impacted, as with my sister, there was just no more room in my jaw for four more teeth, and they were aimed diagonally at the roots of other teeth ...), my cheeks did not swell at all! I was a little sore for a day or so, was ready for chewable foods after one day, and that was it! She was soooooo disappointed that I didn't get chipmonk face!

I had all 4 of mine done at the same time. I had a lot of pain, but it only lasted about 3 days.. I figure that's better than the months of pain I had been having with the wisdom teeth pushing and shoving everything else in my mouth!!

I was nervous too, but it really isn't that bad. Just think.. one week out of your life, tops - and you NEVER have to worry again!

I agree, it is different for every person. I had all four of mine removed at once and I was put under for the procedure. Let's face it - it just isn't all that much fun. But in a day or two you should start to heal nicely. The tea bags are a good idea...I personally hated the guaze.

I don't know of anyone who has exactly jumped for joy over the news that their wisdom teeth needed to be extracted but the option is to do nothing and invite an abscess - and with those having my head removed was my request. They are so very painful.

Good luck...we are all here to listen and support you. I don't think it is ever as bad as we anticipate.

Not to burst your bubble, my experience was the most unpleasant. I had the procedure done around one & a half months ago & I am still in need of more surgery. Was supposed to be a simple "pull two & get out" Now I have a misaligned jaw due to dry socket that occurred after vomiting from a reaction to the medicine. Ugh...the muscles retracted (or something) and one actually tore & is now healing incorrectly. I cannot open my mouth more than an inch. Eating is tough...but I know it will be ok in the end..... Sorry I had to contribute to the "nay" end of the spectrum...but it's a sore subject for me! I pray your experience is FAR better! Good luck!

Oh ash0113 ...... you poor thing!!!

How terrible - fingers crossed you get better REAL SOON!!!
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

I know lots of people who've gotten theirs taken out. No one likes it, but they don't hate it either...Excpet my stepmom...kind of a scary story, so I won't tell unless you want me to...lol
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by joycenalex
    i had all 4 of mine out at one time, 2 were impacted and i had no problems at all. the dentist started an iv line in my arm, count backwards from 100...99...98...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. i woke 2 hrs later, my brother took me to my moms' house for the week, but i didn't need all that time to mend. i ate soup, yogurt and soft stuff. the only problem was on the 3rd day, when the taste in my mouth was bad. otherwise i was fine and lived to tell the story. hope yours is as easy.
    My story's exactly the same. The best piece of advice is to make sure that someone puts the ice on your cheeks for 15 mins, then off for 15 mins. Makes all the difference in the 'chipmonk cheeks".

Thanks everyone..except Ash..I'm going to cry now..lol..I don't mind 'pain' once I'm home..but..yeah..I didn't finish reading Ash's story cause I really don't need to know that right now..I want to what happened but not to that degree..long story..My bottom ones are coming through and it hurts SO much sometimes..I'm almost WANTING them out..I figure if it hurts this much now, it might as well hurt that much after only it will go away. I'm nervous about my top ones cause theres like no room between my jaw and other teeth..how do they get them out? Now I'll like up like Ash...I hate being a worry wort..I sware I have an ulcer...-scared- I know I'll be in soo much pain now..Ive have 10 teeth out at once before and it was all gums for the longest time..like only one back molar (I think it never falls out?) and that was painful suprisingly..It was worse by FAR then 4 adults I got out..I know I'm going to break down and cry as childish as it seems, but I'm just terrified...I wouldnt be suprised If I cry AT the dentist and he thinks I'm crazy..I'm such a baby..I almost want it to be happen now to get it over with..Ive been worrying about this for like 4 yrs atleast..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I am so sorry! I really don't want to upset anyone! it's just a harsh subject with me & I was surprised to see a thread regarding it! I can almost promise you you're experience won't be near as bad! I am sorry though! Best of luck!

Audrey, don't let Ash's story scare the daylights out you. Getting your wisdom teeth removed is a very common procedures. Complications like Ash's don't always occur. She just had a worst case senario. Poor thing!!

It's pathetic but I can't remember exact details......I *think* I had 3 out...2 on the bottom, one on top. I also had a crown done. I think the one on top was impacted.

I was completely scared to death also, but it turned out not nearly as bad as I had imagined! I wasn't even put out, just had a bit of that lovely gas hehe. It was hurt and swollen for a few days, but healed quite soon! Good luck!

had 3 taken out, and it was no big deal.

Audrey..
    I actually had a VERY pleasant experience. And I was just like you... SO SCARED to be put under but that was the ONLY WAY they were getting in my mouth!!!!!!

I had all four wisdom teeth removed and two molars.. all at once, and the two molars had cracked and were breaking apart. Everyone told me all kinds of horror stories...

They gave me some gas wich got me real *high* and then put the i.v in and told me that I would feel some burning and tingling before I went to sleep... and I was trying real hard to feel the burn or tingle and the next thing I knew I was waking up and it was all over.

The only bad part was the antibiotics were REAL strong.. and that and not being able to eat made me feel nausious... But the pain killers are pretty strong too... and I pretty much slept most of the time.

So... don't worry too much... I am sure you will do GREAT!!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Well, this is coming from a gal that's had 12 teeth pulled, braces three times and jaw surgery. My wisdom teeth were a piece of cake. I had all four taken out when I was 16. I was put under for it and did fine. I went to school the next day.

I think a lot of it depends on how impacted they are and the skill of your oral surgeon or dentist. I bruised a little but didn't swell up at all.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    ~Kat

Be thankful you can have yours taken out.

Mine ache every now and then, but cannot be removed because when I was a child, my orthodontist had my 12 year molars removed claiming the wisdom teeth would come in the place of them.

Well they are coming in alright... crooked.

There are days I want to rip them out myself.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June