Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADVICE, HELP!! Fluid Around lungs in my 8 year old Siamese

ADVICE, HELP!! Fluid Around lungs in my 8 year old Siamese

MY DEAR SWEET BABY JANE, 8 YEAR OLD SIAMESE, HAS BEEN LOSING WEIGHT FOR ABOUT A MONTH. I TOOK HER TO THE DOCTOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO AS I HAD NOTICED SHE WAS THINNING OUT AND KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG. THEY RAN BLOOD WORK, URINE, ETC. X RAYS DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING . SAID CHANGER HER FOOD. (THIS JUST AS MY OTHER CAT HAS RECOVERED MUCH FROM KIDNEY PROBS. KD SPECIAL DIET FOOD, PREDNIZONE AND AMOXYCILINE)

THEY DID $223 WORTH OF TEST, XRAYS, SYPHONING OFF LIQUID THAT THEY FOUND AROUND THE LUNGS, NOT INSIDE BUT OUTSIDE OF THE LUNGS BETWEEN THE OUTER WALL OF THE LUNGS AND THE CHEST CAVITY. THIS IS CAUSING HER TO BREATH HEAVER AND HER HEART TO BEAT FASTER. THE ASPIRATION OF THE 180 ML OF LIQUID HAS BEEN SENT TO A LAB FOR ANALYSIS.

THEY HOPE TO LEARN FROM THIS WHETHER THERE IS A LEAKY VALVE, (CONGENITAL HEART DISEASE) OR A TUMOR, CANCER.

NEITHER ONE IS A BRIGHT PROGNOSIS.

ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SORT OF PROBLEM. i HAVE BEEN FEEDING THE CAT FOOD WITH A SYRINGE IN HOPES OF KEEPING HER FROM LOSING ANYMORE WEIGHT AND WORSENING. THE VET SAID EVEN WITH REPEATED ASPIRATIONS OF LIQUID THE PROBLEM WOULD NOT GET ANY BETTER.

THE VET SAID NEXT THING WOULD BE ULTRASOUND AND EVEN WITH FINDING THIS OUT , IF THERE IS A TUMOR OR IT IS HEART DISEASE, (SHE THINKS IT IS THE LATTER), THERE WOULD ONLY BE A COUPLE OF MONTHS OF LIFE AND NOT THE BEST QUALITY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I FEEL SO BAD

ANY ADVICE FROM ANYONE OUT THERE? YOU CAN EMAIL ME DIRECTLY IF YOU LIKE , [email protected]

THANKS AND BLESS ALL OUR BABIES,

BRYON AND BABY JANE IN NYC
    I love siamese appleheads

It's possible your cat has chylothorax. Do a search here on pet talk with that word because there are a few others here that have the same condition. Ozzy, Bassett and one other one that I can't remember the name right now (sorry!). It's definitely a serious and expensive disease, but is treatable. If you have trouble finding the other threads, please ask. Hope these help!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ht=chylothorax

Here's one of the chylothorax threads -there are more links in it! All the best for your furkid!

Here Nomilynn and Catsnclay have furkids with chylothorax. Chylothorax means basically that the lymphatic fluid that is usually a thin film around the lungs gets more and more. reasons can be cancer, or heart disease, or nothing at all
    It can go away on its own -or stay and be fatal.

But there is hope: it does not mean in all cases that it stays.

Hi,

It sounds like it could be chylothorax. Apparently, Siamese kitties are more prone to these types of diseases, usually from a heart condition. Did your vet tell you what the fluid looked like? Chyle looks like watery skim milk.

Please keep us posted, and if you have any more questions, please do ask. I know that I have had TOO much experience with this disease, along with Catnclay and Ozzlou. Hopefully we can provide you with some insight.

Naomi

i'll start saying prayers now.
    if the kitty does have chylo, due to a heart condition- there is a good chance that treating the heart condition will fix the chylo.

but i'm getting ahead...please keep us posted!
    meanwhile,i'll pray.
    ozzlou

I'm so, so sorry to hear this Hopefully the vet will able to definitively diagnosis her so that you can move ahead with treatment. You've got a great support team here in Nomilyn, Catnclay and Ozzlu. Sending you and your beautiful Baby Jane my most heartfelt prayers and well wishes. {{{HUGS}}}

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Byron....

I'm so sorry to hear of your kitty's illness. Pet Talk is a great place to get helpful information, and loving support! Please keep us updated on Baby Jane's condition, our prayers are with you both!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

BABY JANE'S FLUID IS CLEAR BUT.....

DON'T KNOW IF THAT IS GOOD OR NOT

HAVE TO SAY I WAS A BIT DISSAPPOINTED AS I THOUGHT AT LEAST I KNEW WHAT IT WAS; CHYLOTHORAX BUT GUESS NOT. . GOING AHEAD WITH THE ULTRA SOUND TOMORROW. BABY JANE STILL SEEMS TO BE EATING WELL AND DRINKING. I GAVER HER HER MEDS IN CAT TREATS AS WELL AS 250 MG. OF RUTIN. CAN'T HURT SO.............

WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED AFTER ULTRA SOUND TOMORROW, FRIDAY.

BRYON AND BABY JANE

if its not chylothorax, trust me- be thankful!!!
    hopefully some tests will find the leak somewhere-
    you keep us posted,
    i'll keep praying.
    take care-
    tara

THANKS TARA

i GUESS I SHOULD BE RELIEVED. I AM MORE AFRAID OF THE UNKNOWN THAN WHAT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT. CANCER COULD BE WORSE THAN THE CYHLOTHORAX I WOULD THINK? DON'T KNOW BUT JUST THE WORD SEEMS SCARY.

BRY

you're absolutely right, bryon...its all very scary.
    especially the unknown.
    i just know with chylo- there are so many unknowns.

but that doesn't mean that another diagnosis isn't just as unnerving and frustrating. i feel for you, i really do. the amount of anxiety ozzy's illness has given both of us, not to mention catsnclay, and lucky, nomilynn and bassett...
    its hard to watch any of our animal friends get sick- then not be able to really help.
    so far, praying has worked better than anything- for me and ozzy, so i'll pray for you and your baby jane, that the ultrasound will find something conclusive- and better yet- that can be fixed easily!!!!

take good care-
    tara

We all understand your fear, even with chylothorax ruled out. I'm so glad to hear Baby Jane is eating and drinking and taking her meds...Hang in there; and remember, you're not alone. Hopefullly after the ultrasound you and the vet will have a lot more information to work with! Prayers continue for your precious girl and postive thoughts for an encouraging update after the ultrasound {{{hugs}}}

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I'm so sorry to hear this. Please let us know what you find out from the ultra-sound. Good luck to you both.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Oh No - another poorly furbaby - I'm so sorry Bryon and do hope that Baby Jane will soon be back to full health - fingers crossed over here and I'm keeping her in my thoughts and prayers..

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Thinking good thoughts for you and your Meezer baby.