Thread: Could Baytril be making my cat aggressive?

Could Baytril be making my cat aggressive?

We started Marley on Baytril on Saturday for a small hot spot on his neck. He was on this medication once before.

Sunday night, he was sleeping on the sofa when he suddenly jumped up, became extremely frightened, and cowered under the dining room table, making very low, frightened noises. I've never heard these sounds come from a cat before and was afraid something was seriously wrong with him.

We couldn't even get near him as his fur would puff up and he would hiss at us. He remained scared the rest of the evening, and finally calmed down a bit by the next morning. My husband and I thought it could possibly be the meds, but we wanted to give him one more dose to be sure.

Last night (after his 3rd dose) he hissed at me while laying on our bed (he sleeps with us, and I leaned over to pet him in the night, as I often do.)

These behaviors are so completely uncharacteristic of our cat that I can't fathom what might be wrong. He is still eating, drinking, and visiting the litterbox normally.

I've got a call into the vet, but I am just wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience...

Thanks,
    Becky

Emily has been on Baytril a couple of times over the past year or so and she has never had that reaction to the medication (but she has reacted to me when I approach her about giving her the pil )

Good luck

This is warnings using Baytril on cats.

http://www.valleypetnews.com/pet_health_baytril.htm
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

WOW - Thank you for that warning. I hadn't known about those issues.

I just spoke with the vet. She told me that Baytril can cause neurological side effects, and she wants him off the meds for 24 hours. If he is still acting strangely tomorrow, I'll need to bring him in.

What's odd is that he was on this med before. Who knows why he'd react to it this time and not the last. I feel like a terrible cat mommy for making him suffer the last two days. I guess he'll be getting a new toy tonight to make up for it.

Good Luck! Please let us know how he's doing.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by MarleysMommy View Post
    We started Marley on Baytril on Saturday for a small hot spot on his neck. He was on this medication once before.

Sunday night, he was sleeping on the sofa when he suddenly jumped up, became extremely frightened, and cowered under the dining room table, making very low, frightened noises. I've never heard these sounds come from a cat before and was afraid something was seriously wrong with him.

We couldn't even get near him as his fur would puff up and he would hiss at us. He remained scared the rest of the evening, and finally calmed down a bit by the next morning. My husband and I thought it could possibly be the meds, but we wanted to give him one more dose to be sure.

Last night (after his 3rd dose) he hissed at me while laying on our bed (he sleeps with us, and I leaned over to pet him in the night, as I often do.)

These behaviors are so completely uncharacteristic of our cat that I can't fathom what might be wrong. He is still eating, drinking, and visiting the litterbox normally.

I've got a call into the vet, but I am just wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience...

Thanks,
    Becky

Hello... this truly seems to be an old story for you...
    I hope your cat got well after this.

Not only my three year old female cat hissed at me, but she attacked and bit me, sever times all over my body.

I spent one hour on the balcony with her hissing, vocalizing and attacking the narrow opening of the balcony door, only three hours after the one and only dose of Baytril that I gave her.
    Her eyes were all black and it was obvious she couldn't recognize me.

The next day she was agitated (I gave her no more medicine of course) and 15 hours after the first dose she attacked me for the second time hissing,vocalizing and acting in territorial behavior.
    I spent one hour in the bathroom.

I left the house for two days leaving water and food and the animal healthcare came to catch her in a drop cadge.

We are taking several tests since then and I am shocked as the doctors even suggest euthanasia.
    They express concerns about neurological disorders that were caused to start with the drug.
    But there can be no proof for that.

I hope all this ends well and that wasn't the case with your cat.
    It is devastating.