Thread: Help!! Newborn Kitty Abandoned

Help!! Newborn Kitty Abandoned

I need help asap. We found a newborn (1-2 days old) kitty this morning and the mother (feral) has never came back to get it. She moved the other two. I bought the kitten milk replacement at Petco and have fed the kitty one time. Also made it potty. What do I do with it???? Keep it on a heating pad? How will I know if it's too hot? Kitten ate pretty well, I guess. I don't know how much it should take. Trying to find a wet nurse mother cat. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Im not the one to ask, alot of other people know more about that than me, but, try putting the heating pad on the lowest setting and put a towel or blanket on top of it so the heat is not so , hot? call a all night vet to ask info. what does the replacemnet milk box say on its directions? so much every 2 hours?. and you said you know how to make it go potty...

There are a few people here that can help you. Aly and Moosmom are just a few. If they don't reply to this thread then you can try to pm them. I sure hope that the kitten will be okay. Please keep us updated.

Micki 76, welcome to the cat forum.

When it comes to nursing such a little new-born kitten, and assuming that mama cat will not come back to retrieve it, the best thing to do is to make a warm blanket for the little one. I believe that a cat's normal body temperature is about 105 deg. F. , but you might want to verify this. Using an electric blanket is OK but I suggest that you place a thermometer in the place where the kitten will rest. and attempt to keep the temp at a constant. Also, feeding may become a problem in that such a little one will require feeding about every 2 hours or so. Although I have not tried this, you might take a kitten's full nursing bottle and place it in such a manner where the kitten can nurse it any time she wants I am thiniking of a styrofoam block with a hole in it to receive the bottle, and bury in in the heating pad or blanket. I have heard that some folks will loose sleep while feeding a small kitten, until they grow out of tiny kittenhood in about a month. Perhaps if you can find a nursing queen, would be better than humans attempting the same role -that is, if she will accept it. Nursing mama cats will often take in kittens from a different litter What color is its coat?
    Last edited by L. Wayne; 06-16-2003 at 05:16 AM.

I posted in the other thread. Since the mama is feral, she will not return. To her, you are a predator which is why she moved the other kittens.

Sleep deprivation is something that goes along with caring for a kitten so young.

Here's my reply in the other thread. WARNING: When heating the bottle, DO NOT use the microwave! Just place it is some very hot water for a few minutes and test it first. As long as it's room temperature, that's okay.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...5&pagenumber=2

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!