Thread: It's time for some changes

It's time for some changes

For those who didn't read my earlier thread I'm going to be moving soon. I decided then when I move there will be a few things that I want to change, I think it will be easier to do them once I move since my roommates cat will no longer be living with me. I was hoping that maybe I could get some advice on some of the things that I am planning on doing differently. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

1. I don't want my cats to get on the counters anymore. Tables and shelves are fine, but not the kitchen counter. I'm getting tired of all the cat hair that I find in all of my cups, it also gets into my food and it's kind of gross.

2. I don't want to free feed them anymore, I would like to be able to just give them two meals a day. They are both starting to get a little chubby.

3. Now I'm not sure about this one, it sounds kind of mean but I think it could be helpful to me. My allergies are starting to get really bad and I haven't been able to get much sleep because of it. At night I feel like I'm inhaling hair everytime I breath and I usually wake up everynight and I have to use my inhalor as well as flush out my sinuses. Not a fun thing to do at 4 a.m. So I was thinking the cats can be on the bed during the day when it is made but at night when I am asleep they can only be at the foot of the bed so I don't get cat hair on my pillows. Does that sound mean?
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

For the kitchen counter thing, you could try either double sided tape or some other booby trap thing. Foil might also work because cats aren't supposed to like foil for some reason. Or you could get one of those carpet runners and put it upside down on your counter so the spikey things are sticking up.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

let's start with #3; It is not mean, but it may be difficult. It might actually be easier and less confusing for the cats to prevent them access to the bedroom. It would certainly be good for your breathing.
    now, counter tops may be difficult but not impossible. Try double sided sticky tape. You can put it on cardboard, it you do not want tape on your counters, and put the cardboard on the counters.
    changing to twice a day feeding is a fabulous idea. I am an expert here. It is not difficult but you will have reluctance at first. Conceiering that at their first "set" meal they may not be hungry. But you put the food down, gove them 1/2 to 1 hour and them pick it up. Do it again in 12 hours and soon they will be in the routine.

I don't think any of those are mean. You have to do what you have to do. I don't have to do it, and I don't care about cat hair/cats on the table. But, I can see others caring. I think keeping them out of your bedroom altogether would be easiest.

Have you found a place yet?

I think I've found a place, I'm going to put in my application for it tomorrow. It's a little small but it's cute and within my price range. It also has tile floors in the living room which makes it much easier on my allergies.
    I've been Defrosted!

is there any way you could close off the kitchen? with a door or gate? they have folding doors, accordian doors etc. as for the cats not getting on your pillow, do they usually sleep near your face? maybe start now, nudging them away when they do that, you can put a little bed or blanket at the foot of the bed, and put them there and pet them, then maybe they will learn to not get on your pillow?

maybe if you give them attention THEN put them on their bed they will eave you alone?

Tibby LOVES to sleep on the pillows with me at night. Then I turn my head so I won't be facing her but she just walks right on my head to the other side so I'll be facing her again. So usually I'm inhaling her hair. Sometimes when it gets bad I push her off the bed but the the pillows are still covered in cat hair.
    I've been Defrosted!

Then I turn my head so I won't be facing her but she just walks right on my head to the other side so I'll be facing her again.
    ok give me back my cat Cassie! LOL thats exactly what she does...
    well is there something that you can put on your hair or the pillow that they will not like, and maybe it won''t bother you?
    sorry it's all I can think of...

anyway what about the door idea?

A door/gate in the kitchen would keep Tibby out, but she's not the concern since she doesn't jump on the counters, they are too high for her. But Corkscrew would clear a baby gate, I'd have to have a full door in the kitchen which since it's looks like I'll be moving into an apt i don't really see that happening. I'm hoping that maybe since it's a new place it will be easier to train him that the counter is off limits. I have certain places currently in the house that are off limits and he seems to do a fairly good job of staying off those places.
    I've been Defrosted!

would it help if you got the kittys shaved for the summer, then maybe got something to help more with your allergies, they have shots, or there ia nose spray type thing that de-sensitizes your nose...sounds funny but it helps.