Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion of cropping ears and tails and fancy haircuts?

Hi everyone...I'm back after a 6 day trip to Chicago area for business and I sure did miss pet talk! I brought my laptop with my but could not get the silly thing online! I think some of you already know that I despise cropping ears! I can't stand the way it looks on any breed, and it's a horrible experience for the dog. As for tail docking...it's no doubt painful, I don't care what anyone says, the scream that comes out of those tiny lungs was enough to give me nightmares when I worked at that vet. Unfortunately I assisted with a large number of tail docking/dewclaw removals. The pups receive no pain killers whatsoever. They simply do 3 snips and the tail is off, then they stich up the hole. No one could ever convince me that it's a painless precedure...ever! I do have to admit that I like the look of a short tail, however, although I would never do it to any of my dogs. My Graham has a naturally docked tail and it's cute, and i love rottie and aussie's round backends. I just think it looks good, but as for the ear cropping, I am turned off by the look completely, but it's just my preferance. I think it ruins the way dogs look.

I am dead against it. I personally think that if a dog was born with a tail and ears it is meant to have them. Unless there are medical reasons behind the surgery, I think it is cruel to inflict those poor pups some unnecessary pain.

In my opinion, Ears and Tails should NEVER be TOUCHED.

Is it right to alter body parts on animals because some animal breed association thinks (or thought) it looks better? No way.

I'm sure that the VAST majority of animals that have these procedures done will never be "shown" in competitions anyway. What a waste.

We've had 5 miniature Schnauzers over the years and all of their tails were docked at birth. We were told they are prone to back problems later in life unless that happens. Don't know if that is true or not. The ears are another thing entirely. Our first dog did not have cropped ears and we loved him that way - the next three had already been cropped by the breeder, so we had no say in the matter, although the last one with cropped ears had a terrible infection and the man caring for her (the breeder had been hospitalized) used the wrong kind of adhesive and it was a nightmare to get off. Our latest baby - now 9 months old - has the most beautiful big ears that just flop over at the tips - and they are going to stay just exactly that way. When we took her for her first visit to the Vet he asked if we planned on cropping her ears. We said no - and he replied thank God because it is such a traumatic thing to do to the animal. I know that this practice is banned in England and some other European countries. I think the AKC needs to have some pressure put on it to change it's policies about what a "show" dog should look like.

Hi Margrete,

People will come up with any kind of excuse to make it ok to mutilate dogs for vanity reasons. I have heard the most ridicilous excuses for docking and cropping. I don't believe ANY of them, except that tail docking does have some benefits when the dogs are playing or hunting in the underbrush, having a docked tail will minimize potential tail damage. But how many dogs with a cropped tail actually hunt in long grasses and underbrush? How many of them even hunt? The original purpose of docking tails was to protect them from getting cut up while hunting.

I like the look of a docked tail...I would NEVER do it to any of my dogs, even if someone paid me to do it, but regardless I like the way it looks, as do most people which is why people do it now.

what you said about the tails I have heard too and that is why, in some cases, ears were cropped too so they wouldn't get cought up in brush while hunting or doing gaurd work( casing someone into the woods)

That doesn't make sense. Basset Hounds were bred to hunt rabbits and they have the biggest flappiest ears of all, not to mention a big wagging tail!

Hi Adoremydogs We have had three Schnauzers and it is almost impossible to get a Schnauzer from a breeder without a docked tail. They do that immediately after they are born and you don't usually get a puppie until they are at least 8 to 12 weeks old and their tails are already docked. However the ears are another thing, it is usually up to the person who buys the puppie to crop or not crop. We opt not to crop. We got Perry at 7 months old and he was already cropped, when we got Daisy she was not cropped and we left her natural, we love her big ears, they stand straight up, no tip.
    I think it is a thing with the breeders and until they decide natural, most Schnauzers tails will always be docked. Hopefully someday all dogs will go back to their natural state.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited March 17, 2001).]

Originally posted by Daisy's Mom:
    That doesn't make sense. Basset Hounds were bred to hunt rabbits and they have the biggest flappiest ears of all, not to mention a big wagging tail!
    That just what I heard. Also thats why I said in some cases because not every breed gets cropped ears.
    Can you imagine Bassets with cropped ears? Now that would be a sight.

Daisy just wouldn't be Daisy without those ears! The ears make a Basset. Big ears are adorable! Daisy likes to have her ears flapped

Hi,
    I have a doberman who had his tail cropped. It dosen't hurt the dogs if they get it done when they are small puppies. But however, he didn't have his ears clipped, and he is much cuter, and looks sweeter with floppy ears. He has gotten a lot of comments on his floppy ears too. And it is sooo cute when he wags his stubby tail! I think it is better to not crop their ears, unless your getting a gaurd dog and want him to look tough. As far as the tails though, if you want to have their tails cropped, do it when they are puppies, it won't hurt them as much then. But as far as I know, it is safe to do both.
    Thanks,
    -Smare

You have a Doberman. I LOVE dobermans. My mom bred them while I was growing up. They are lovely dogs.

Do you have any pictures you could show us?

i think you should leave your dogs ears alone my friends dad got her dogs ears cut and the vet messed him up they told me he was bleeding for like 2 minutes non stop and they had to put one of those baords around his head so he wouldnt sctrach his ear and it was a cardboard one. im against it all leave your pet the way it is if you do it, it is just wrong but thats my opinion so bye
    Luv Ya
    *Danegirl*

I am also against docking, cropping, and fancy haircuts. It is painful to them and also I think that it is mean.

I was thinking of docking my dog's ears but I thought that if god wanted his to be docked he would have been born with his ears docked. Besides I would not want any oneto cut pieces of my ears off, would you?

[This message has been edited by PUPPY POWER (edited April 09, 2001).]