Thread: Cat potty problems

Cat potty problems

I am new here can you all help me? I have a 2 year old male cat that is fixed. Every morning when I get up he does this whole routine. When he wakes up he crys all morning until I go into the bathroom for him to go potty. I will get up and go in there a few times but he just runs into the living room and starts all over again.I have no clue why he does this. Does he think it's a game or does he just want a little extra attention? I am home all day with him and so he gets plenty of attention all day long. After he finally goes potty in the morning he will go potty on his own for the rest of the day unless I take a nap with him. His litter box is also in the bathroom if that helps any. I noticed he started doing this after I left him for 2 weeks with my husband. Please let me know if you have any ideas what his problem could be. I have had alot of cats in my life but none of them have done this. And I can't figure out why he does it. Please let me know. Thanks!

Cubby 31682, wecome to the Pet Talk forum.

I do not know exactly what to do in this case, however, you might try placing another litter box somewhere in the house, for him to use. It sounds as though he might be scared that you are going to leave him again. Do you entertain thoughts of changing residence or looking forward to a vacation? He may be picking up on your thoughts/emotions. Cats are very perceptive in this area. Also, you might consider getting him a play-mate, another cat who will be compatible with him, so he won't be so dependent on you for company. Two cats are just as easy to care for as one, and they have a tendency to rely on each other for companionship, when ever you are not around for them.

........wayne

Welcome to Pet Talk Cubby31682 - hope you enjoy it here.

Just a thought - when you go into the bathroom first thing in the morning have you tried locking him (by the way - what's his name?) in with his litter box for say 10 or 15 minutes? He may be so excited to see you he can't find time to do his stuff! A couple of minutes to himself might remind him!! Good Luck

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

His name is Cubby. We can't have another cat. I did think about getting him a friend until the apartment manager said no more cats except the ones you already have. My husband and I are planning a vacation. But that isn't going to happen for a while yet. We haven't thought about moving or anything in a long time. I should try and lock him in the bathroom for a few minutes to see if that helps. I use to have to litter boxes. But he only used one of them so I got rid of the other one. Thank you for all your advice.
    Katie