Thread: Border collie's

Border collie's

was wondering if anyone is owned/owns border collie's and what to look for in a good all rounder dog showing 1st/ then agility/flyball/obedience/endurance companion

thanks in advance

rhiannon
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I don't know much about showing qualities...but I know quite a bit about personailities. I'd love one. I hope to have Kai still around by the time I get one.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I have never owned one, but my mom absolutly adores them. She grew up with collies, shelties and border collies. My guess would be to look in the "lines" of a dog. If parents are flyball, agility, etc... champs, then theres a possibility the pups could be great in it.

I had a border collie/ german shepherd / doberman / lab cross. Acted alot like a border collie when playing, but was very calm like a lab, and a great guard dog like a shepherd or dobie.

She was never in agility, but would have done great in it..
    I've been BOO'd!

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    I currently own a 2 yr old female border collie named Winter. I compete with her in agility but not flyball...only really because I haven't had a chance to train her in it, that and well I'm not sure if I would want to train her for flyball, she already has to many issuses thank you.

Unfortunately I can't tell you what to look for in a good show, or obdience dog due to the fact that Canada doesn't reconize the border collie for the show ring and well I just don't do obdience. As for the agility and flyball you want a dog that has good drive although you need to tak into consideration that to much drive with a border collie could mean that you end up getting herdered for on course rather then running the course, so sometimes it's good to look for a BC that's a herding reject.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

cricket your winter is beautiful

i have heard that BC's are not shown in some countrie's because they want to keep them doing what they were bred for and not go on the looks of a dog (i thought it was the case in aus but have recently found out otherwise) i think anyway must research that

thanks everyone for your replys

jagger the BC im hoping to get a pup from, he is one of the main stud dogs for red and white BC's in victoria and aus

josh, one of jaggers sons

jarrah another one of the red clan
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I had a border collie/ german shepherd / doberman / lab cross. Acted alot like a border collie when playing, but was very calm like a lab, and a great guard dog like a shepherd or dobie.
    oh that would have been one lovely dog, do you have any pics?

I have never owned one, but my mom absolutly adores them. She grew up with collies, shelties and border collies. My guess would be to look in the "lines" of a dog. If parents are flyball, agility, etc... champs, then theres a possibility the pups could be great in it.
    yeah, they are awesome dogs (as all dogs are) .

the line that i am interested in (red n white's in the pics above) have not been shown and most have done well in obedience and all excell at flyball (where i met them) and all are sweet hearts ~grin~

it's good to look for a BC that's a herding reject.
    lol, yes i have tried border collie rescue australia, and they get so many dogs in that have not done well with hearding, but most dont come with the dogs pedigree (not that showing the dog is nessecery) just thought id like to try my hand at everything

doing the endurance test with clover next year dont know how we will go, training for that is going to start soon

i own border collies, 2 pretty gals! for dogsports get one from a farm with herding parents, please dont show a border collie, only barbie collies can win shows anyway and they dont even look like real borders, they look exactly like aussies with a tail. and have no ability whatsoever for dogsports not to mention they are ruining the breed by showing them, someone tried showing a real border to see what would happend, obisously the barbie collie won the real BCs were not even accepted!

i have heard that BC's are not shown in some countrie's because they want to keep them doing what they were bred for and not go on the looks of a dog
    yes that is true, a BC is the only breed that has not been taken over by a machine, by barbie collie i mean they were bred for looks, they are fluffy, with short legs,and short muzzles, when bred properly they GENERALLY not always have long legs, long muzzles,flat coats, ect.. people argue that we dont care about the looks yet we condemn barbies because of there looks, that is not the case, a BC needs long legs to run all day, they cant have a fluffy coat cuz it gets cought up in bushes ect.. and we dont want them to becum smushed faced like all the other breeds, running all day they need to breath properly just do dogsports with them
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by cloverfdx
    oh that would have been one lovely dog, do you have any pics?
    Yes, this is her here, only about 4 months old
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I've been BOO'd!

i used to have a border collie,i don't know very much about showing the breed....but i do know you have to have alot of things for them to do.!!!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

thanks for all the replys all have been quite helpful

i used to have a border collie,i don't know very much about showing the breed....but i do know you have to have alot of things for them to do.!!!
    have been researching alot more and have decided NOT to show

there is no chance of a BC getting bored with me as we are away at all sorts of canine sporting events most weekends. the dog will be kept busy and i am interested in doing some herding as well.

wolfsoul
    Yes, this is her here, only about 4 months old
    ohh very sweet indeed, j/w is that leather in the background?

cali

for dogsports get one from a farm with herding parents, please dont show a border collie,
    after much thought i am not going to show as i am too busy with other doggie sports and wouldnt have the time anyway

i like border collies, but i have read that they are very hyper and active; one of the reasons that they are given up to shelters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yep you're right cocker_luva. They're VERY intense working dogs although there will be a few who are more laid back. They're also very intelligent. Sometimes, too intelligent. Owners often mistake the intelligence for being a naughty dog. They get bored very easily and will find something to do including herding the kids. The herding is often mistaken for agression.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

One of my good friends recently adopted a border collie, it was taken to the shleter because it was too hyper. My friend couldn't belive that someone could have a dog for 2 years then just get rid of it. She decided to adopt it because she was worried that if she got adopted again she would just be returned back to the shelter. She is taking Megan (the BC) to obidence training and she is doing very well. I think they are going to be very happy together.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!