Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from the Emergency Vets

Just got back from the Emergency Vets

Tico and Max,(dalmation and cocker) had their cousin Brewski (catahula leopard. hound) over for a couple days. Max and Brewski may have eaten rat poison. Max's Mom rushed over to my house and we called the vet and took them in. Tico stayed in the house, never went to the garage. He said they would pump their tummy's and give them charcoal and vitaman K and they would be good as new, since we got them there so quickly. They would test them to see if they did in fact eat any. There is an antidote for 'this' rat poison, where there isn't for many of them. We are to call back in 3 hours and they will let us know what is going on. Both Max and Brewski are chow hounds, they would eat anything and everything. The rat poison may have been empty for days, no one looked for days. So she didn't know if they ate it or not. The vet said we did the right thing to bring them both to test. So at 10:30 she will call the vet and then let me know their condition. I will post again later.
    Let's not use rat poison, let's use traps. Don't let this happen to any one else.
    Last edited by tomkatzid; 06-09-2003 at 10:42 PM.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Oh no!!
    I will be keeping Max and Brewski in my thoughts and prayers, I hope everything will be alright.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Keeping fingers and paws crossed it will turn out okay.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

How about "no-kill" traps?

What a scare!! I hope they will be ok!

how awful, scary! I will be waiting to see the update...

11:24 pm. Max's Mom just called. They brought the dogs home. It was all in Max. None in Brewski. Max was drinking when she called me, he was very thirsty. She has to take him to her vet in the morning. I will post again as soon as I hear from her after the vet visit.
    Poor Max. We just love him. This just breaks my heart that he has to go through this. He is 10 years old.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

I'm so glad they all are ok! Poor babies!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

4:36pm tuesday The vet did blood work today. If it is still in Max's system he will need to take vitamin K for 21 days and blood work again after that. Nina and Ashlee went to the park with Max and Tico this afternoon and he seemed to be OK. If not taken to the vet last night, he would just now be showing signs of the poison. But the vet said he got it all out. I hope that is the case. The blood test will let us know. His Mom will call at 9am tomorrow to find out the results.

Poor Max and Brewski! Thank goodness you all were so vigilant and got them to the vet's so quickly! I stopped using any type of "poison" around the house, garage, yard, a long time ago. It's just not worth taking the chance. My Labbie Star would eat ANYTHING! Prayers are on the way. So glad to hear the vet's think they'll be fine!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I'm so glad you found out what the problem was and that Max will be ok. Whew!! I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier, but thanks for letting us know! It is certainly a good warning for all of us. With a hunter like my Butter, I certainly don't have to worry about poisoning the rats.........they should be running for their lives!!!

Get better soon Max!! *hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

9:22 am Wednesday
    Max's blood work came back good. He will not need to take any med's. He is one lucky boy!

good news!

I just saw this post now! The good thing is that they are all ok!! Whew!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)