Thread: I have a question about my spoiled cat

I have a question about my spoiled cat

Hi there! I have a 5 year old torti cat, and I have been trying to get another addition to her. Everytime I bring a new cat, whether it be a kitten, or full grown, she attacks it, hisses, and hides for days, starving herself. I end up having to give them back. Is this normal and will I ever be able to get another cat? Help!!!!

That happened to my five year old cat Dudley. When we brought Sammy home, Dudley hissed, wacked, and growled at Sammy. He ignored all of us for several days. It turns out Dudley lost 3 pounds from all of the stress.

Now they get along fine, and we are working on getting Dudley's weight back up. He is currently on a specail diet from the vet to re-build his weight.

You can see a picture of them both in my signature.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Welcome
    1st you have a tortie. They have a lot of attitude most of the time.
    2nd simply the fact that it is a girl will more than likely make introductions more difficult.
    3rd you really need to give them more time. We are talking weeks (possibly months) not days.
    4th any new addition should be able to have their own separate space when they first arrive. A room shut off from the other cat at first. The resident cat will sense its presence and help to get her used to the idea of an intruder before actually coming face to face.

If you try it again let us know as I am sure we all have some tricks to introducing a sibling.

jenluckenbach's advice is good. Let the cats get used to eachother's scent before introducing. Raven was our first pet in the house. We have had a total of 3 cats and 5 dogs brought into our home since we've had her. Plus we've babysat a few. Every single time, Raven gets mad at the world. But, I just give her space and time. She always seems to get over it.

I totally agree with the last message. It took my cat Bailey (another female Tortie) a very long time to accept my over-friendly, very boisterous Tuxedo Ziggy. But eventually he did manage to win his way into her heart - Even though they still have their occassional tussles (More to show off to my husband - their top cat!!- than anything else!), they are often found to be cuddling up asleep together or grooming each other. They also seem a lot closer when theyve been on hols to the cattery.

So please, don't give up - Persevere and just give them both space and time. Good luck!