Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what do i do with ozzy now?? help!!

what do i do with ozzy now?? help!!

i am totally freaking out, because ozzy just decided to stop taking his medicine- the stuff that's kept him alive so far.

he is horribly stubborn- so i can't shove it down his throat- he won't allow that.
    i've been mixing it in fancy feast- and he's been loving that for months...i've tried baby food...mixing it in a tiny bit of milk...anything i can think of that he loves- but he won't take it...

what do i do???? he can't just stop taking this medicine- its keeping him alive!!!

i need suggestions- quick!

ozzlou

Is the medicine a pill?? If so try wrapping Ozzy in a towel, much like a burrito with only his head showing. Sit in a chair and place wrapped Ozzy between you and the arm of the chair with your left arm around him. Now he can't go anywhere. To open the mouth you use the left hand to open the upper jaw and your third finger of your right hand to ease down on the lower jaw. The pill should be between your thumb and second finger of the right hand. With the mouth open, shove the pill in as far back as you can get it, then close the mouth quickly. Rub under the chin or softly blow in the nose and the cat should swallow. If Ozzy licks his lips, that means the pill is down.

At least, that's how I do it. If it's liquid then the same thing applies but you ease the syringe in the side of the mouth and administer that way. A little at a time otherwise he might choke.

Other people will have more suggestions I'm sure. Good luck.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

slick- thank you so much for writing!

your technique only works once with ozzy...cuz after that- i can't get at him- to wrap him up!- i figured that out when he had a corneal abrasion and i had to give him eye drops. i still have scars.
    he didn't let me hold him for weeks after that.
    the first time i was at the vet here- it took the vet, and 2 vet techs to get ozzy to take a pill- and he still spit it out.

the stuff i give him now, is liquid. one is rutin, the other prednisone- both for chylothorax.

he's been doing ok- i don't want that ruined by him being stubborn!!!!! he's gone without 3 doses now...

i do appreciate your help!

tara

You'd have to get him when he least expects it. That's what I do with Speckles. If she ever needs meds it's usually twice a day after meals. After her dinner meal I let her come up on the couch beside me. I pet her a couple of times, then, grab and run to the chair. Works every time.

Also, I find that if you look at them while coming at them, they run because they know what's happening. Unfortunately I think you'll just have to use brute force. With the liquid it's tougher because it takes a bit longer to administer and that doesn't work with a restless kitty. I had real problems when I first got my cats, but I've got it down to a science now. Practice makes purrrfect, unfortunately.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Yup, I agree with slick.....catch them when they aren't on guard! Also, have a heart to heart with Ozzy, explain that the meds do him good, etc, and do it with lots of kissys.

When I give Lucky his meds, 3 times a day, we go in the bathroom together, close the door, he sits on the toliet (lid closed! ) and I make him sit, and I get behind him, put the back of his head against my chest, open his mouth with my left hand and shove the pill popper down his throat with the pills. Then he gets lots of kissys both before, during and after the pills. Also tell him how good he is, even tell him he is going to get a treat (that always perks him up) and praise him for being good. He gets 2 pills at every pilling (3 x day) and yes, sometimes he runs when I call him, but he knows.....also try to give the meds at the same time every day. Make it a routine, and eventually you both will get use to it.

Don't get frustrated, it shows and then he knows it and will react. This will make it harder on both of you. I talk to him during the entire process, it takes him mind off of what we are going to do.

Good luck, and I'm glad to hear that he is doing better, now if only Bassett will get better!!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

well, it worked this time-
    we've done this kind of thing before...ozzy is too smart for his own good. i think i do something, that i am unaware of- to let him know that i'm gonna get him...cuz when i call him for important stuff- he doesn't come.

i always give his meds at the same time every day...this was our routine for the meds i'd mix with his food. i just don't understand why all of a sudden, he doesn't want them??? he used to love this stuff!!

well tonight- i wrapped him up, real calm...i didn't hold his head or anything, but i stuck the syringe with both meds in it, in the side of his mouth. i couldn't shove it all in at once, uz 2 cc's is a lot for a kitty to swallow- but he took it sip by sip...this time. i pray he either starts eating his stuff again- or is more compliant...

my frustration level is at its peak...i admit i get freaked easily, but its hard to control- you know how this can wear on you, and i know he needs these meds. i do my best not to let it show...like i said- he's too smart for his own good.

at least he got one dose today...thanks slick, so much for your help!!!

thank you also, catsnclay!!! it is good he's doing ok...i so want it to stay that way!!! i know you understand!

tara

Way to go Tara.

I suggest you give him his meds that same way for a while just so you and he can get used to the routine again. Like I said before, practice makes purrrrfect!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

i will do my best, slick!

thanks again for your help!!
    tara

Another good idea is let him get used to having the syringe in his mouth, let him know that it isn't always bad. Try putting some juice from tuna or some chicken broth or any other liquid that is yummy to kitties and let him drink it from the syringe. So that way he learns that if he sees the syringe it isn't going to always be bad.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Great idea Ubassoon...never thought of that. See? You learn something every day.
    --unknown

--Polar Express

oooo...
    that's a good one, ubassoon!
    thanks, i'll do that!
    tara

Oh dear I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. I don't really have any advice.. Bassett used to refuse her pills but now she takes them with very little fuss. I think she finally realises they are meant to help her. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck

all good advice, but I am not good at things like that, I also have trouble. I like the easiest way out... try either a new canned food or new flavor, or, don't let your kitty eat for a few hours, no dry food then he will be hungry and will eat the food with the pill. I have found that minced style of fancy feast or the ones with juice/gravy work best. for mixing in pills. my cats don't seem to like the canned food witht the chunky bits in it.. minced is the best.

Oily sardines - i put the pill (crushed up) into the belly of hte sardine and I tell Bastet its treat time! She goes for it every time. I still have scars from the burrito wrap as well

Now she is having ear drops to clean up an ear infection i am having to wear *cat proof* gloves to be able to do that.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

this is insanity.
    i tried so hard this morning to give him is meds...holy cat fight!!!
    its like he was fighting for his life or something, i don't understand why he insists on fighting so...

i called my vet while i was at work...other than keeping him there and giving him his meds- she is also at a loss.
    i even kept the cat food away from him while i was at work- same thing tonight...he refused his meds.
    in the evening- i have more time to strategize, so i ended up getting him into the bathroom...rutin is everywhere, but most of it landed in his mouth.
    i can't do this everytime he needs meds though. eventually, he won't even come from under the bed when i'm here. believe me, he is that stubborn.
    this is a cat that refuse to eat for 3 days when i changed his food. the vet swore to me he'd get hungry enough. he didn't.

plus, i don't want him hating me for shoving medicine down his throat. i can't handle the silent treatment.

i just dunno what to do...does it have to be a fight every time?

tara