Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do cats prefer being single?

Do cats prefer being single?

As some of you might know, I've planned to get Luna a little sister later this summer.

Now a friend who has always been against my plan to get a second kitty, has told me she has spoken to a holistic vet who has agreed with her that all cats are loners and shouldn't have to share their home with other felines. Keeping more than one cat would always cause stress.

I told her I disagree. Of course there are cats who do not tolerate other cats or are not happy with company (that friend of mine used to have two cats that didn't get along well with each other, and after one of them has died now, the other one is more relaxed and happy 'cause she's getting all the attention).

But I think Luna wouldn't mind to have someone to play with. She's very interested in other cats and loved to play with a cat living in my mother's household (but that kitty has died). Also, my vet said it's worth a try because Luna is a bit lazy and would need more action and excitement.

What do you think? I know many of you here have more than one cat, and I know it happens that some HAD to be seperated again 'cause it didn't work, but I'm sure there are also friendship between cats!

Kirsten

Just look around at the multi-cat households. I would say about 90 % are peaceful and stress free...........mine included. Even my cat-hating cat Fern, is probably only stressed 3 % of the time and that is when someone is determined to play with her. If cats were loners they would not live in colonies in the wild. (ex. feral cat colonies)
    IMO

I think cats like company. For example, there are a million places in my house for cats to sleep, but often all three of them will be sleeping on the same bed or couch. Bo and Hanna especially love to curl up with each other. And Hanna and Abby love to play together, Abby was getting bored because Bo doesn't like rough play. Bringing a kitten into my house with Bo (13 years) and Abby (8 years) was definitely a good idea.

I'd hate to think how depressed my Angelboy would be if he didn't have other cats to play with and snuggle with! Kiri's on the other end of the spectrum--I don't think she'd mind being an only cat, but she has her own little hideaway next to my desk and she seems to like the arrangement.

Hagrid and Bob are buddies. They'll walk along side-by-side, rubbing against each other. Lily likes to snuggle with Katie or Angel.

I believe that, like most things in the feline world, it all depends on the cat!

I think you should get a kitty for Luna. Cats work out their own rules to have their "alone" time, such as hanging out in different rooms or napping at different times, but they do seem to enjoy having thier own kind to be with.

Also, think of how much worse cat over-population would be if we restricted ourselves to just one cat per household .

I'm sure that an only cat, just like an only child, reeps certain benefits from getting undivided attention, but since you mentioned that Luna likes other kitties, I think it would be a great idea to get her a friend.

of course you know the rules, once you do - we will want pics and updates

These are not the droids you were looking for

I think it all depends on the cat. Tibby and Corkscrew love being with each other. And even with my RB cat Zasper my life became so much easier when I added Corkscrew into the house. She calmed down so much and seemed to be much happier because she had a play buddy now to entertain her while I was away. She became less destructive, when I would leave the house she would get bored and destroy things but when we added another cat all that stopped. After Zasper died Corkscrew became very loney and so we got Tibby for him and those two are inseperable. I think they would be sad if they didn't have each other.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Originally posted by CatsinDenver

I believe that, like most things in the feline world, it all depends on the cat!
    So true!! My childhood cat Missy was definately an only cat. She hated other cats (and other people too for that matter..)

Now, my gang all loves each other. Cookie, I'd say, gets stressed when Tama starts chasing her but other than that, they are all lovable with each other.

How would we ever know the joy of 2 cats cuddling and cleaning each other if we only had one?
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Why is your friend against you getting another cat? Does she not like cats?
    Her theory makes no sense b/c Tigers and Lions live together in 'packs'. Granted I think mountain lions are loners but still. And most of the people her that have more than one cat, seem to have success.
    Kylie lived with her brother for a year. Then I got her and she has been a cat living with a dog for almost 2 years. I think she would be fine if she would have stayed with her brother. If she had to choose b/n a cat and a dog she would probably choose a cat!
    I thought she would like being an only pet when my RB Shaianne died. But she didn't really do anything. I think she spent alot of time just laying around ( As opposed to now when she does the same thing! )
    I think you should go with your vet's opinion and do what you think will make you and Luna happy. You know her better than your friend. And I don't mean to offend you b/c I know she is your friend but is it possible that she is just telling you that b/c she doesn't want you to get another cat? Unless she lives with you or is at your home 99% of the time, frankly I don't see how it is any of her business!!! If one of my friends told me not to get another pet, I would have to consider their motives.

IMHO!!!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

OH NO, which five do I give away? I don't know of any 'thing' that prefers to live alone. Sure, some pets (and people) are anti social, but, 'prefer to live alone?'

I adopted Georgia to give Tex someone to play with. It was a wonderful addition. I kept going. All of mine get along with each other. I will admit Tex has a shorter wick now, but, I think that is age, not because he prefers to live alone.

Besides, everything is better in pairs....or sixes..

I have two cats and they get along just fine. KC, my younger cat, looks up to Opie as a big bro. She follows him everywhere and likes to cuddle w/ him. He's even taught her to push our door open that leads from the garage(where they like to stay). If you think Luna would like another cat to play w/, then get one. What you could always do when/if you get another cat is take her to see if she'll get along w/ the new kitty. That way you'll know that they will like each other. :0)
    The Loves Of My Life:

~*Chelsea*~

Pfffft!!!!

"Holistic Vet?" How very Californian ... Richard would have something to say here. "Holistic Vet" translates in logical language to "No formal qualifications and unsubstantiated opininions that should be met with high levels of critiscism."

If cats were such loners, then why would so many chose to spend their time with a human family? And what kind of "Vet" would advocate a practice that would see many cats go to their graves in high "kill" shelters. Reminds me of Dr. Nick Riviera on "The Simpsons".

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

I agree, it totally depends on the individual cat.

I think most cats enjoy company of other felines, or at least learn to tolerate it. In most cases I've seen where cats didn't like other cats was just because they were never exposed to them so weren't used to them.

I found Shiloh when she was approx 7 months old and I didn't have another cat or any fosters at the time, just my Labrador. Over the next year and a half or so, she was just always around dogs and when I had foster cats, they were completely seperated from Shiloh. So the first time she DID see another cat, she went into nasty mode. She still does this when she meets my foster kitties, but she does get used to them after she hisses and growls for a week or so.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Depends on the individual cat, I agree. I have 7 cats and most of them get along, except Lita, she hates the two Manx's for some reason. If they get to close to each other... WWIII.... starts. Luckly they never really hurt each other, just sounds like it!!!!

Seeing how Hermoine has taken to Basie, there's no doubt in my mind that cats want to have others to hang around with.

Ignore your friend and her vet. They are clueless.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I really don't know. I love my cats to death, but I'd say I am more of a dog person. This is the first time I have owned more then one cat. I have had the two together for 2-3 years. I'd say that they fight or ignore eachother much much more then they cuddle and hang out. I think both of my cats would prefer to be alone. On the same line, I'd thought they hated my puppy until I started putting him in a pen. Now they go in the pen and hang out with him all day. So maybe my animals just don't want to show that they love eachother.