Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As if by magic...

Do you have access to Pet Store this weekend? Usually these places will sell kitten milk replacement formulas, so that Houdini would be able to supplement the kitten food with some milk. But he should be okay with the diluted kitten food.

You might also want to try playing soft classical music in the room where he is. As they say ... music calms the savage beast (and he might qualify)

Good luck and I suspect that he will worm his way into your household in very short order

Good news, she has eaten.

I have spent the last hour sitting near her box ignoring her. She only hisses if I move suddenly (So i won't do that again)

She has soft kitten canned food diluted with water to a mush.

I took a clean poop scoop with a long handle and scopped some food onto the thin end and slowly presented it to Houdini.

She hissed and then lickled the ladle handle clean. So I fed her about 6 ladle fulls. She hissed at the approach & removal of the ladle but she ate the food and even got her little teeth into the handle to get a big lump of meat.

I've left her to settle and will feed her again in a hour. Just to make sure she is eating something. I'm sure she'll find the food bowl shortly.

We were thinking of taking her down to the vets to check her over tomorrow morning. (I am only leaving at dinnertime)
    Last edited by PayItForward; 06-06-2003 at 04:33 PM.

Bravo! Good work catching the elusive Houdini! I can just picture the little one hissing and eating.

It is all so great, what you and Steve have done, and are doing, for this litttle kitty and her family, bless you both!
    Sorry that I don`t have any advice or suggestions - not that you need any it seems, looks like you are doing just great!

Hugs
    Chris

Yipeeeeeee!!!! She's eaten!!!!!!! I'm sure she's so scared at any little sudden movement. You guys do good work! Love to you all.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Houdini is so cute!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

What wonderful news!!!! She's a little cutie!!!

Hemoine was seven weeks old last Saturday and the woman was feeding her Science Diet Kitten. She had had Hermoine for three days and said that when she approached her, she's freak out. She said she even had her hand covered with a towel because Hermoine would attack her. (Hermoine, her siblings and their mother are/were feral). She said that after a few days (three?) Hermoine was a totally different cat. She is a huge lover girl already.

I hope that gives you hope for this litte thing. She's still very young and will learn humans are wonderful soon.

Can't wait to hear more about her. How is she doing now?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
    You might also want to try playing soft classical music in the room where he is. As they say ... music calms the savage beast (and he might qualify)
    YES, YES, YES!!!! Play classical music for her....it helped with Micah's last trip to the vet and calms Hermoine as well.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Congratulations on catching Houdini! What an adorable baby!!! Since Houdini is still so young, it shouldn't take very long for her to get used to you!!! GREAT JOB! More pics when it's "safe"!!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Great job!!

Kittens that young are easily socialized. Sounds like you're doing all the right things!! Keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Congrats!

Glad to hear Houdini is being looked after!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Good work rescuing Houdini and earlier Fleur and the two other kittens. Houdini is really cute and I'm sure she will feel at home soon. Please keep us posted and I hope her mommy and siblings (adorable too) find good homes soon.
    Steffi and Lovable

I got Charlie and Patches at 8 weeks and they were already eating dry food...

congratulations! she is a very cute kitty!

Good job! Kittens that easy are very easy to socialize, but you need some Personal Protective equipment.

If you have a sweatshirt and leather gloves, this is good for kittens. Using the gloves, pick up the kitten and hold it up to your chest near your heart. Your heart beat starts to calm them down.

What I do is I cradle the kitten with one arm, and if I think it's safe I'll use my teeth to pull off one glove and (carefully!) pet the kitten.

Mouse (foster) was a 12 week old terror and within 7 days was a purring mushpie.

Good luck!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb