Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gone but never forgotten

You all had very beautiful pets, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

This was my Opus...

Opus was only with us for a month. He was a 6 yr. old stray cocker spaniel who wandered into our front yard one evening. After taking him to the vet, we discovered he had a severe heartworm infestation. His ears were so thick and matted, that he could barely lift his head. The vet guessed that he had been abandoned because his family moved, or perhaps even because he was sick.

After having his ears shaved and spending $500 on having the heartworms treated, he finally started acting like a member of our family, and we grew to love him very much.

Unfortunately, without reason, one morning, he bit my 13 yr. old daughter (rottieluver45) on the face. Because we had determined he was a "fear biter", the vet felt it was best to have him put to sleep to avoid putting another family at risk for this kind of behavior.

Opus was put to sleep on May 23, 2001. I was with him, and the vet gave me a chance to be alone with him afterward. I told him Mommy loved him, and that I was sorry. Due to the fact that we had him for such a short time, he had to be tested for rabies after the euthanization.

It's only been 2 1/2 weeks since all this happened, and my daughter is doing fine. The doctor's don't seem to think there will be much scarring.

I can only take comfort in the fact that during his last month on this earth, he probably had more love than he had ever had before. He certainly brought a lot of love and happiness into our lives, and I will miss him forever. He was my "big boy", and I'll never forget him.

[This message has been edited by PJ's Mom (edited June 09, 2001).]

PJ'S Mom I am so sorry. What a sad story! It must have been such a hard decision for you. I hope your daughter is okay, and know that you did give that pup the best 6 months of his life. He was gorgeous.

I must have somehow missed your poodles before, Pam. They were all so beautiful!

PJ's Mom,
    I just want to say thank you for all you did for Opus in the short time you had him. What a terribly difficult decision to make, but probably a wise one if he was a fear biter. Thanks for telling us about this.

Logan

Don`t worry I`m alright!!!

------------------
    Rotties Rock!!!!

[This message has been edited by Rottieluver45 (edited June 10, 2001).]

Such a sad, sad story.

------------------

It took me all day to reply. What a very sad story. Opus is so beautiful. And you did such a wonderful thing in giving him a home; if only for a short while. I hope with time your daughter will heal emotionally and physically, and perhaps, still find love in her heart and life for dogs. You were so brave at the end. I still can't think about it without a tear.

Thanks to all for the good wishes. It was easily the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and I pray I'll never have to go through that again.

We received the letter from Austin, and the rabies test came back negative, thank God.

I still cry when I think about him.

I've recently adopted another dog from the shelter, and we're all having a tough time trusting her. I hope with time, our fear will diminish.

[This message has been edited by PJ's Mom (edited June 11, 2001).]