Thread: Icky, but... clear vomitting?

Icky, but... clear vomitting?

I've noticed the past 3 days that Madison (1 year old tabby) has been vommiting up a clear liquid (1/4 cup maybe?) once a day; usually at night while I'm asleep. Sometimes there's a little bit of hair in it, but doesn't really look like enough to make a differnce. He's long haired by the way.
    Should I be worried and taking him to a vet right away, or let him be for another couple days, or buy some hairball formula stuff and assume that's it? I've been making sure he's drinking alot so he isn't getting dehydrated. Appetite and personality are both normal.

As much as I love my boys, I really can't afford the vet fee if its something simple as a little hairball discomfort that has only happened a couple of times. Of course I will take him if you guys think its something, but ya know... I can't afford to be OVER protective all the time. :| (I feel like a bad mommy for say that)

Any thoughts?
    - Carole

First of all, welcome to Pet Talk! You'll love it here. My Speckles does that sometimes, but I think it's because she drinks too much water too fast. She's 16 and her kidneys are starting to go and even though she's healthy she still drinks alot of water. I did speak to the vet about it but he said not to be too concerned. If it starts happening on a daily basis then I'll taker her in.

Also, I used to give her filtered water out of the fridge, but now she gets filtered water at room temp. That seems to help.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Filpou does it regularly if he has eaten grass. He only vomits a hairball every some weeks but always clear liquid with a little green in it.

Welcome to Pet Talk!

To me, it sounds as if Madison is trying to get rid of a hairball. My Luna does that sometimes, maybe once in a month or so. I know how hard it can be when you cannot affort a vet visit, but maybe you can call your vet and ask for advice on the phone?

Does Madison eat cat grass or a special food like Hill's Hairball Control? It might help him to deal with that problem. You can also feed him a malt paste like Petromalt which makes it easier for the hairball to pass the bowels.

Kirsten

My chronic vomiter, Tex, does this. I have found that Tex needs to have food in his bowl, at all times, so that stomach bile doesn't build up. You might try keeping the bowl full.....

Noah does this when he drinks his water too fast.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I've been watching him closely since posting this, and it seems to have stopped for now. After reading your posts and thinking about it, I think the culpret was the bathroom tap... he loves to play in running water and drink from it. It was probably the combonation of very cold water and getting too much air in his system while he drank from it.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!
    - Carole