Thread: Urgent! Health Problem!

Urgent! Health Problem!

A fellow rescuer, whom is also a friend of mine, recently moved into a new home.

She has several cats right now, all whom are suppose to be in good health and get regular check ups.
    2 of them suddenly died the other day. She and the vet are not sure of what yet. The signs looked kind of like rat posioning, but their clotting wasn't as bad as it should have been.

They had 2 seizures before they finally just flopped over and died. Just an hour before this they were playing and eating just fine! And had no other signs of illness before this.

She has the rest of her cats in one room right now, trying to figure out what to do, as she doesn't want the others to fall ill or die. The vet is running a pathology/necroscopy on the two deceased cats. But so far has no real clues as to what might have happened. We are perhaps thinking Acute Anemia.

I'm trying the best I can with suggestions for her, but otherwise I am pretty much clueless right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone had something similar happen?
    "If you won't rescue, don't breed"

OMG that's so terrible. Must be very hearbreaking. Were they playing outside before they passed?? I'm wondering about any poisonous plants in the yard. I wouldn't think Acute Anemia would come on so sudden. Hope the vet finds out something soon. Please keep us posted.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Well there are differnet forms/causes of Anemia. We are pretty much open to lots of possiblities right now.

It will be about a week before she gets results back from thet vet, and one of her older healthy cats was sent in for lots of random blood testings.

Possibly FIA, FIV, pesticides.

Her cats are not outdoors, they go on an outdoor enclosure, but it's really just a screened porch.
    Her mother whom lives next door, uses this power based pesticied. We are trying to find out the name of that product.

Both cats died within 3 days of eachother, and she has about 10 other cats at home right now.

I'm thinking pesticides. Was the house sprayed or dusted before they moved in? Have her check with the past owners or real estate people.

Gosh what a shock, I sure hope it doesn't happen to any more of her kitties!

Keep us posted on what her Vet finds out.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

This is just horrible and so sad. I don't have any advice to give you but I'd like to give your friend my condolences and send some prayers her way. I sure hope that the vet will be able to tell her what caused her cats deaths and I also hope that her other cats will be safe from whatever caused this. Please keep us updated.

If the cats were not outside, and were healthy before being brought into the new home, then I would deduct that there was something in the house that they may have eaten. Check all corners for exposed rodent poison in containers, and possibly you will have to mop the entire house down -at least where the cats can get to, especially on hardwood floors and wooden cabinets, and storage areas.

.............wayne

The owner found some remains of old rat posioning under some floor boards she tore up. The cats must have been able to get it somehow, if even in a dust form.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I sure hope that the house will now be safe for her other cats.

Poor kitties! I suspect poisoning. Rat poison contains warfarin, which is an anticoagulant, or strychnine, which is just plain NASTY! I hope the other cats are OK. When I moved I kept a close eye on my (at the time) 2 cats and kept them confined to one room until I was sure the house wasn't contaminated.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb