Thread: ears

Help with Ears?

After every bath, or run through the sprinklers Owen's ears bug him. He does the whole shaking his head thing...He's been to the vet several times (today he had shots, and happened to have the ear irritation going on). The vet says its just that: irritation. I've been using the stuff for swimmer's ear which seems to clear it up pretty quickly. But, its gross. Other ideas?
    Last edited by babolaypo65; 06-04-2003 at 10:44 AM.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I use a product called "Oticalm" for ears......works for both dogs and cats. My vet told me to use it and it works very well after swimming, or just for a weekly ear cleaning.

M

Try putting Cotton Balls in his ears before a bath or swimming, Molly used to do that, someone gave me the idea too, and she stopped.

yep..I tried cotton balls a few times...I took them out because Kai would just panick everytime he had one in his ear

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

excellent. thanks. Where do you get the oticalm? vet? pharmacy?

I'll definitely try the cotton balls, I think he will tolerate them pretty well. I can hope at least!

thanks for all your suggestions!
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

excellent. thanks. Where do you get the oticalm? vet? pharmacy?>>

I think oticalm is an over the counter item, so you can get it at a Pet Shop, vets, or through a Pet cataloge.

Hope it works for poor Owen's ears.

----<---<--<{(@

Dr. Robinson gave us a solution, which is mostly alcohol, but has something else in it (can't get my hands on the bottle right this second), but he said to put a squirt in each ear after we bathe them or they go swimming. It helps to dry the excess water out of those floppy ears. We also use it when we clean Murphy's ears.

I just went and found the bottle. It is called "Oto-Dry". I think it has to come from the veterinarian, but we haven't had ear problems with Honey and Lilly since we started using it.

Thanks. I think I'll start with a trip to the pet supply store and see what I can do. Poor ole owen doesn't love baths as it is, but is sooo good about them. I know its not pleasant, but want to make it as comfortable as possible.

and, I'll admit... I want to SLEEP through the night after bath night. He gets up and starts shaking his head, and does it all night long. One the bed!
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

-Ursula Leguin

this website has it I believe:

www.jbpet.com

they have better prices than the pet stores from what I have experienced too!

Hope his ears get better!