View Poll Results: What style of riding do you do?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • hunter

0 0%
  • dressage

1 8.33%
  • jumping

1 8.33%
  • saddleseat

1 8.33%
  • western pleasure/trail riding

7 58.33%
  • polo

0 0%
  • barrel racing, calf roping, etc.

0 0%
  • in-hand showmanship

0 0%
  • stock seat

0 0%
  • other

2 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: share your horse experience

share your horse experience

I've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to go online for like, ever! Finals are in a week, but more busy than that, is that the horse show season has begun! So I was wandering, because a lot of people here have experiences with horses, share your horse riding experience and brag about it! I'll go first.

Years of experience: 5
    Riding style: hunter/jumper
    shows: 4H and "A" rated shows
    own horse: unfortunately not yet

I really wanna try eventing (dressage, stadium jumping, XC) and saddleseat. Does anybody have experience with these styles and how are they?

years of experience: 6
    riding style: western pleasure/trail riding
    shows: none
    own horse: sadly no..

I ride a horse named Shannon-Doa. She is a bay mare and the best horse I have ever rode!

I havent ever riden a horse befor.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Years of experience: 14
    Riding style: western pleasure/ trail riding
    shows: none
    own horse: nope
    I've been BOO'd!

Years of experience: 13 years
    Riding style: mainly pleasure/hacking
    shows: Not anymore, used to jump Ross grade C (newcomers) 7 years ago. Then went to showing at local level when I lost confidence in jumping) for 2 years. I have done a couple of cross country courses but not in a competition.
    own horse: Yep!!! Ross 14.2hh dark bay (almost black) half anglo-arab gelding.

This is my boy looking quite tall!!!

This is him with my partner (Ross didn't want this pic taken) it makes him look really tiny, podgy and ewe-necked but I like it!!!!(my partner is 5'11)
    Happy to help

I have been taking lessons for two years and I dont really specialize in dressage or jumping or anything.I mostly just do lessons.
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~

Wow shellonabeach! Ross is wicked cute! What made you lose your jumping confidence (hope it's not too personal)?

HoRsELUvR, what style lesson do you take? Are you addicted to riding yet?

Last summer, I leased a TB named Romeo. Here we are at his first show

I recently trained a Morab (Morgan/Arab) pony named Sadie. She was supposedly used as a Western lesson horse before she came to our barn, but she didn't even know how to canter. Well, after 6 months of working with her, she turned into a push-button but stubborn lesson pony. I hadn't ridden her in about 3 months, and when I got on her last week, she bucked all the way around the ring at the canter. I guess I still have to keep riding her once in a while. This is when I took her to her first show

Now I'm riding a saddlebred named Jewel. She's a one-person horse and she doesn't like to trot, so she races around the ring at the canter.

Visit the barn I ride at now http://www.rockhillstable.com

Lovely pictures Luka-pop, both those horses are so beautiful and you look great in your show gear

My reason for losing confidence in jumping was...... I really don't know. I think as I got older I was just a lot more cautious - I wasn't so brave at jumping and I wouldn't gallop about on hacks as I did when I was 14. Things were so bad that I would go at jumps from a trot holding the neck strap!! Ross loved to jump and has a lot of scope. I actually haven't jumped him for 3 years now but he has taken to hacking about quite happily (I have had him 8 years now).

I did regain some confidence and then we had an accident going cross country - we were jumping a ditch which was a little overgrown and he obviously didn't realise how wide it was - landed in the ditch and somersaulted ending up on top of me - I broke my collarbone and Ross was ok - but obviously won't go over ditches anymore. I did find that when we stopped competing and he wasn't jumping so much his jumping improved as he enjoyed it so much more.

I think we will get back into jumping the odd small fence when we are fitter but for now I love nothing more than a quiet hack with my boy.

I'll leave the jumping to you younger/braver ones!!!!!!!!
    Happy to help

I know what you mean. When I was younger, I used to love roller coasters. Now, at a pathetic age of only 16, I'm terrified of going on one. *sigh* That's probably where the high school graduation field trip will be in two years.
    *sigh*

What matters most is that you and your horse enjoy what you're doing. I hate people that force animals to perform what they don't want to. I visited a stables once where their main riding ring was located right on the main road. Every time a truck or motorcycle passed by, the horse would spook. All the instructors and riders would smack the horse with the whip or shank the nose with the chain to "punish" it. I asked the instructor, "Why are you punishing the horse if all it did was spook?" She said, "They're lesson horses and if they're going to work with humans, they have to learn to behave under all and any circumstances. We need to be able to trust them to be 100% safe. Plus, the horses live here. They should be used to the cars by now." I was so mad. Where's the logic and reasoning behind that?!?

Years of Experience: 9 1/2 - 10 years
    Riding Style: English, Western Pleasure, Bareback, & Barrel Racing (just started)
    Shows: Just local stable shows when I was younger. 1st Place: 4, 2nd Place: 3, 3rd Place: 1. Nothing to special!
    Own Horse: As soon as I move out (& get enough $$)!! :P

I leave June 22nd to horse camp for 6 weeks. I can't wait, I am so excited, and I miss my buddy Jack!!!!!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Excuse my ignorance...but where is the granite state????
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Deli, it is New Hampshire!
    Cookiebaker recently posted some photos from the White Mountains of New Hampshire in Dog General.

I will get back to this thread tomorrow to talk more about horses, too much to list right now, I gotta sleep sometime!
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

New Hampshire it is! Although I don't know what our symbol is going to be, now that the Old Man of the Mountain is falling apart...

Hey YellowLabLover, where are you going for the summer camp and what style riding is it for?

Hurry back Vermontcat! I wanna read your list!

Pics too! Too bad my scanner is so crappy. My photos are never clear.

Originally posted by Luka-pop
    Hey YellowLabLover, where are you going for the summer camp and what style riding is it for?
    Camp Anokijig. It's Western style. But...if you are in the advanced group, you get to do bareback also. It's a blast...homesickness never pops up during my stay.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

i do mostly english riding. i ride at green pastures farm. i've ridden there for about 4 years. i don't have a horse (yet!) i know i'll get one later in life when i can afford one (or two) and have the time to take care of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images