Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you choose the breed you did?

How did you choose the breed you did?

This doesnt mean to offend anybody here, but how or why did you choose the breed of dog you did? My mom LOVES shelties and collies, so we found a collie breeder and got Molly, and I have always wanted a golden retriever, afterall...they are my fav!!!

I just went and adopted a dog from the shelter and it was a pitty/hound mix. She wasn't the easiest dog to raise. I would NOT recommend a pit bull/coonhound cross for a first time dog owner! But I fell in love with both breeds none the less. I like a good, solid medium sized dog with spunk and not a big shedder. And I love how pittys come in all coat colors/patterns.
    ~Kat

My dad loves black labs. they remind him of his see & eye dog Ridge. He loved ridge soo much. & when the pet store had some good looking black lab mix's he tested Max first (the scruff test) & said, I'll take him. later on we found out he had pitty & rotti in him, the pet store left out that part so the puppies would sell.

i love mini dachshunds,but i don't own one.i almost got one,but the people that found her gave her to me then took her before i could even see her.

we had a yorkie which is my mom's fav. breed of dog,but he died so we went to the shelter,and got beanie our pomarainian....i was the only one in the family that didn't want him,but he is one of the best dogs i've had.

we normally just keep whatever we find on the side of the road or from people that don't want their dog anymore.lol.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I'm a Boxer person, I have 3 right now, I've had them sense I was a baby. All my baby pictures have a Boxer in them, he never left my side. So It's just in my family blood I guess. Plus any dog that loyal....I should be loyal too.

Of course I do have other breeds, Great Dane, MinPin, Pom. so I'm not limited to just Boxers

I love pit bulls.... always wanted one but never have got one.

Both of mine "chose" us. we didn't go out looking for a certain breed although i'd love to own a full pit bull.
    For years i begged and begged and for a few days my dad and i went to each of the shelters close to us.... we found Simba. He decided he wanted to come home with us, so he did.

When adopting Nala first we went to the SPCA like the monday befor. There was this adorable little girl pit bull puppy. I'm pretty sure my dad would have signed the papers right then and there, we even went up to the office to check up on her availibilty. The only thing is, we were out of their "district" and they can't adopt pit bulls out of their district,which i think is complete B.S. Dogs in the shelter are in need of homes whether it be 1 mile away or 4 miles away. and since it was a pit bull, if i was the owner of a shelter i'd do anything and everything to make sure it find a perfect home, even if it is a few miles farther, as i would with any dog.

So, that Friday following Friday, i had a half a day of shcool.When we got home we went to the Human Society like our normal weekly visits. We were playing around with the 4 lab mix puppies in the puppy pin, but the guy who worked in the kennels said they were all adopted. Nala was the lightest colored, skinniest, smallest of all the puppies. she has 1 black and two tan littermates. My dad said "Lets go up to the office and see if she's really adopted, because there's nothing that says "Adopted".... "What?? Ok dad." So we went up to the office, gave the lady her number and she handed us papers...Dad still says "Well, i wasn't going to get her but the office was crowded and loud and the lady just handed me the paper" uhh huhhh ok day Dad had me fill most of them out, but with his info. He signed and i went in back to get her a bag of puppy food. As we were filling out the paper, one of her littermates were getting adopted also. When we were all done rushed back to get her, she was mine! My first "puppy".

Ok... so that was a little more than you asked for but yeah, they chose us.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
    And I love how pittys come in all coat colors/patterns.
    Aren't Pits the best??

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Fox-Gal
    I'm a Boxer person, I have 3 right now, I've had them sense I was a baby. All my baby pictures have a Boxer in them, he never left my side. So It's just in my family blood I guess. Plus any dog that loyal....I should be loyal too.

Of course I do have other breeds, Great Dane, MinPin, Pom. so I'm not limited to just Boxers
    Hello and welcome to PT! Joxer is my first boxer...he's actually a boxer/pitty mix and he's the best dog ever. he definately makes me want another one sometime in the future!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~Kat

Thanx for all your replies everyone! I enjoyed reading them!

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Aren't Pits the best??
    You know it.
    ~Kat

I've always loved dogs for as long as I can remember. I've gone through phases where I wanted certain dogs for their looks. Ok so I was 5..can't blame me for choosing looks over temperment. Last year, I started getting impatient with asking for a dog year after year. I started to actually do something about it. I searched the net for dog breeds and really liked border collies. I knew that they were hard to handle for first time owners but I was sure I was ready for one. I was certain because my relatives had always had a dog and I had looked after them a few times. Everytime I looked after them, my cousin's would allow me to train them if I wanted..so I always did. I found an independant border collie rescue here in vancouver and had my eyes set on one. Of course, I didn't get my way. The one I wanted had been adopted. So I tried the Spca and the local pound. Of about 4 shelters, one was the perfect dog. His name was "Lupe" and he was a BCX. Boy was he ever lovely. We went and spent almost an hour with him. I begged my mom to adopt him but she said we'd have to inform my dad first. Naturally, he was adopted before we could come back. I cried ALOT. So, my mom and I looked into newspaper ads. I knew that alot of them were BYB's so I was cautious. We found an add that said 8 sable shelties..etc. We called him and went down for a 5 hour drive to get a sheltie. I was determined to not care for the pup. Not abuse it or anything but just not give my 100% to it..leave it to my mom. 5 seconds after we saw him, my heart melted. So 5 hours back...and we finally had our pup home. Oh yea...you asked why we chose the breed..LOL well that's my story on getting a pup....
    To keep it short..my mom wanted a collie..I wanted border collie..both were herders so I looked into it and found shelties..I heard they had some bc in them..even if it was a little i didn't care...and looked close enough to a collie..

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Let's not go over Timber's breeds again

Anyways, I didn't choose Timber or Leather, but I'll tell you why I want my future dogs

Catahoula leopard dog --- Because they are smart, great guard dogs, watch dogs, large, BEAUTIFUL, they aren't common, they require alot of excercise, and they are great with kids and other animals.

German shepherd --- Very intelligent, great guard dogs/watch dogs, require alot of excercise and grooming, very affectionate, seen as somewhat aggressive (advantage for me: I love having a dog that looks tough ) Good with other animals, and with kids, large.

These are the dogs I'm getting
    I've been BOO'd!

I just loved reading everyone's stories!!!!

shiba inu --we saw a Shiba on the web, and thought it was just about the cutest thing EVER!!!!! This was while we were still in a townhouse where we weren't allowed pets, but we were moving soon, and planning on getting a dog. We researched the breed, and found out that they are pretty hard to find (around here at least). We decided that we probably couldn't get one, so we were going to get a boxer. Last July, we went to a dog show, and met 2 Shiba's in person, and loved them. As it turned out, the handler had 2 for sale, because the previous owner had cancer and couldn't care for them anymore--one week later, we had Kito!!!!
    beagle --I had a beagle named Spike growing up (he is puppy Spike's predecessor), and he was great--I missed him so much!!! When we decided to go for a second dog, I really wanted a beagle. We filled out an application at PAWS, a local adoption agency for pets, and got a call about a week later--from the man who ran the beagle rescue. He told us he had gotten our app from them, and he had a dog who he thought was perfect for us--we brought Abbey home that night.
    lab --Many of you know the story with Riley. I went to the SPCA, just to visit. As I was leaving, a woman was getting out of her car with a little black furball in her arms. She asked if I wanted a pup, and I said not right now. I got closer, and saw the little guy's face, and I couldn't say no. She told me he was a big baby (he was only 12 weeks old), and that she didn't want him anymore. I couldn't bear the thought of driving away, knowing he would be stuck in a cage in that awful place, so I took him. I brought him to see my husband at work, and he fell in love with him, so he went home with me to meet the other dogs!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I used to work with a girl who had a poodle. She talked all the time about how smart her little girl was and also that poodles are non-shedders and have no doggy odor. Hers was a silver miniature but she was quick to point out that they come in several colors and 3 sizes so there's a right one for everyone.

When hubby and I moved into our first house we wanted a dog immediately. We moved in mid-April and bought Peaches (toy apricot female poodle) on May 1st. That was many, many years ago (I don't even like to think how long ago! ) and I have had 5 others since then, in all sizes and colors. At this point I think you can say I am hopelessly hooked on the breed!! Though I love all dogs and have several other breed favorites, poodles are definitely my heart. As Aly recently posted, "to know a poodle is to love a poodle."

I didn't really have a specific breed in mind when I started looking for Ruby. I searched Pet Finder for dogs her size & age. I came across Ruby & she was perfect (she's a basenji/australian cattle dog mix)

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr