Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should cats be kept indoor at night?

Maybe people in the Uk should try cow bells too..

As normal catbells do not stop cats hunting.

Placing three bells on a cats collar (One under chin,one on each side) works better at scaring prey but they will still catch some.

The best thing a normal catbell does, is tell other cats where your cat is. (i.e. Your cat is more likely to get into fights.)

But I don't know anything about cowbells...

Presumbly if it's a proper cowbell, then the cat can't hunt very well. Mostly due to being unable to walk thanks to a piece of metal the size of it's head hanging from it's neck.

There are ultrasonic bells that I understand work better as a cat with a bell on it's collar will either loose the collar or learn how to move without rattling it.
    Last edited by PaysForIt; 05-31-2003 at 01:55 PM.
    Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui.

Yes, it's time I updated my sig.

When living in central Calif. I lost too many furkids to coyote raids- as I lived in a rural area. If cats are taught to keep inside at night at an early age, chances are they will continue this habit. I have a few that will not attempt to go outside, even if I open a door for a few seconds, and then again I have to put some of them in the house behind 2 sets of doors so they will not dart outside everytime I open a door. There are 14 cats that live with me, and I allow none of them outside at night, because of the coyotes that can be heard at times in the river bottoms. About half of them sleep with me on the bed, and seldom do I have to reach for an extra blanket when the temperatures drop.. I also try to keep all of my furkids inside during the day. I only let a few of them outside, especially when I go outside also -usually in the mornings. They usually stay outside for an hour or two and then want back inside.
    Last edited by L. Wayne; 05-31-2003 at 02:55 PM.

Originally posted by moosmom
    As far as scooping litterboxes, if it bothers you THAT much, you should've thought about that before you got your cats!

Just for the record......I have 7 cats because I take in abused animal. I spend my days mending wounds, burns, broken bones and just getting them friendly again. So getting 7 cats to use a kitty litter box or two, is just one more problem I don't want if I don't have too.

So as far as I should have though about that before I GOT 7 cat, I do think about it. But when the woman from animal rescue calls...I come. If not for me and others like me these animals would be put to sleep, because of what some other idiot did to them. If she calls again I will take in another cat, dog, or what ever they need for me to take.

At this time I have 30 plus abused pets and 2 dogs that where mine before I got into this. My day is filed with other more important things to do, meds, bandages, physical therapy and of course emotional therapy. Now would you want to do Kitty litter box too.

If I came across rude, I'm sorry, but you did offend me some by your comment, Then again you had no way of knowing what I do and how, what to you seems like a simple thing as a kitty litter box, is a not that simple around here. I'm just thankful that I can get them to come in the house and trust me.
    Last edited by Fox-Gal; 05-31-2003 at 06:58 PM.

The Cow bell

As for the cow bells I talked about.....I didn't mean a real cow bells.

You find them on some bird toys, shaped like a cow bell, small enough for the cat, but large enough to make a sound worth while. The bells that come on cat collar are just not enough to warn animals of the cat comings.

It Really takes the fun out of it for the cat though, they get in pounce mode ready to jump and then the bell sounds. Poor cats they look like their saying "What the Heck happen"

Fox-gal, what you do is wonderful. I have six cats, and cleaning boxes is not tops on my list. But, it isn't the worst thing, either. My kitties are 98% indoor only, but, do go into a fenced back yard, and on the front lawn, with supervision. I wouldn't feel safe with my kitties outside without my big ole eyes on them.

As to the cow bells, that made me laugh. I, too, thought of the huge cow bells, and didn't see how kitty could even move with one around her/his neck!!!

Yes some people are a little to quick to judge others.
    Payitforward and I are in total agreement, we both come from countries where its considered rather cruel to have a completely indoor cat only, but unlike some others, i donot take that approach, i think whatever suits you and your cat, it all depends where you live etc.
    I do however think keeping them in at night is a good idea, and i do that with mine.
    But i would never say either are right or wrong, it appears some people think you are a bad kitty owner if you let your cat outside and this offends me.
    Every ones circumstances are different and need to be taken into account.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

like others are saying, I think it depends on the area. I live in a safe area. I only have to worry about fog and storms once in a while, and thats when I keep them in. Other then that, they are free to come in when they want or go out when they want. They really like being outside, so I let them go out when they want. Now if it were in other areas, I would have to rethink it. The country I would not let my cats out because there are too many wild animals there. But here there are none, and Misty the dog scares off and protects my cats from any other dangers.

My Cats stay indoors , only thre princess goes out because I know that she is so timid that she would be extra careful and ashe always comes back in an hour. The siamese are way too curoius and would be running around te neighbor hood. moose gets lost easily , he was lost about 60 yards from his home. I had to walk over to him and point him in the right direction.Oi Ve!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

he was lost about 60 yards from his home. I had to walk over to him and point him in the right direction.Oi Ve!
    ROTFLMAO

my cat is 100% outdoor, because my dad is alergic.

KRISTEN14.....

I hope at the very least, your cat has a shelter from the elements ???

Fuzzy sleeps indoors at night but is out free most of the day.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Fox-Gal what you do is fantastic!

Originally posted by moosmom
    I have 7 cats in my 3 bedroom apartment and it can get crazy at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

As far as scooping litterboxes, if it bothers you THAT much, you should've thought about that before you got your cats!
    I don't think one should judge someone by whether they have litter boxes or send their kitties outside to do their thing. Personally, if I had 7 cats, I would never go with litter boxes. That would be crazy (for me and my lifestyle). For 1 or 2 cats, I wouldn't mind, but for 7, I don't think I have that much time to waste, that could be spent on something more beneficial. (No offense to anyone, but I'm concluding this with my lifestyle, not with any other's) Everyone has a different lifestyle and its everyone's choice if they want to have full indoor cats or indoor/outdoor cats. That doesn't make them bad kitty moms.

Fox-Gal, you are doing a great service to animals. Good job.
    Last edited by popcornbird; 06-02-2003 at 03:31 PM.