Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse Racing

Horse Racing

Do any of you believe horse racing is cruel? I personally dont like it, esspecially when they use that whip.....

The whip does not hurt the animal and at most (mainly major tracks) the animals are treated humanely, however there are bad people everywhere and things do happen that shouldn't. Before a horse can go to post, they are checked by a track veterinarian, if they deem the animal to be unfit to run physically, or there is any indication that the horse is in ill health, the vet will scratch the horse from the race. This is a very strict standard. I love horse racing and work in the industry and believe me seeing any horse being abused in any way would send my blood boiling. I am happy to say that the owners and trainers that I know of all love and care for their animals and definitely would not do something to harm them. It's people like vets, myself and others like me that help keep the animals safe and healthy by reporting any type of abuse or inhumane treatment of these wonderful animals.

i have read that the whip is just to help urge the animal to go alittle faster, depending on how that animal is trained to run. (ex: sprinter, one that runs fastest in the beginning, one that runs fastest at the end, etc.....)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is correct. Now if they were using a sledge hammer or something like that to urge the horse, I'd have a HUGE problem with that!

Ok, thanx you guys Now, I know its not cruel to them..

I don't think it's cruel to them. They take very good care of the horses. I actually like watching horse racing. I wish that Funny Cide would've won the Belmont last weekend(or whenever it was).
    The Loves Of My Life:

~*Chelsea*~

Even though Funny Cide lost that race, he still is a very good horse and did a great job in that "soup" they called a racetrack

I don't like horse racing. I saw a video where a horse's leg snapped in half, and that was enough for me. The horses are so faithful that they'll put their all into it, even if it endangers themselves.

Originally posted by hulabird
    Even though Funny Cide lost that race, he still is a very good horse and did a great job in that "soup" they called a racetrack
    I know. He did a wonderful job. Esp. since he's a gelding too.
    The Loves Of My Life:

~*Chelsea*~

I don't race, race horses, but I barrel race them. Some people use whips (over and unders or bats) to urge the horse to go faster so they can have a faster time, but every horse is treated very good and humanely. (This doesn't really apply to the topic of horse racing, but oh well) I talk too much some times

Being from Kentucky (especially Louisville, where the Derby is held), horse racing is a VERY big thing!! When Funny Cide won here in May, we were all rooting for him from then on--he had a special story. I was heartbroken when he lost the Belmont. In the past 10 Derbys, I think at least half has won the Derby and Preakness but lost to the Belmont. We still love you Funny Cide! It rocks being single, don't it? LOL

Anyways, I feel like it is my obligation as a Kentuckian to love horse racing--and I do. I do, however, sometimes wonder how the horses are treated in general and in races. My dad always reassures me that these horses have it made--their owners spend thousands sometimes millions on them, they get the best care, and plus, when races do happen, vets and the humane socities are there to make sure the horses are treated the right way.

I am a horse lover and cringe when a horse falls during a race, and I even cried when a favorite horse of mine didn't win a race. Above all, I know that these horses receive the utmost care and attention no matter what. If so, these races would not get the publicity that it always receives.

I love my hound dog

I think I goofed at the end of my post. Here's what it SHOULD say:

"If not, then these races would not get the publicity that it always receive"

I love my hound dog

Isn't Funny Cide the wonderful racing horse that is a gelding? Or am I thinking of a different horse?

Yep, Funny Cide is a gelding. He's owned by six guys who were high school buddies. They all chipped in, I think $5,000 each to buy him. And there are other people in on his purchase

I love my hound dog

Originally posted by apcrs5122
    Isn't Funny Cide the wonderful racing horse that is a gelding? Or am I thinking of a different horse?
    Yep, you're thinking of the great Funny Cide!
    The Loves Of My Life:

~*Chelsea*~