Thread: Anxiety (mine) about leaving my 10 month old dog in boarding kennel

Anxiety (mine) about leaving my 10 month old dog in boarding kennel

Jack is my first dog and we are supposed to go on vacation in July for a week, which means Jack will be going to a kennel for that week. He seems real attached to me (and obviously I am to him) and I am afraid to leave him on his own for the first time. The kennel is very nice and he will have his own "suite" as they call it (actually a dog run that is 5'x5'x6' with an attached 12' outdoor dog run). I think I am just worried that Jack will think I didn't want him anymore and that he will spend a week all upset. It is making my husband mad because I am allowing this to ruin our plans. I am just wondering if he is still too young for me to put into the kennel and would appreciate any suggestions/comments/opinions from those of you that have much more experience with dogs than I do. Thanks!

Hi hulabird!

I normally leave my dogs with my mom, but when I lived away
    from family for a couple of years, I was forced to leave my
    2 cairn terriers at a kennel. I was concerned about it too,
    but there's 3 things I did to try and make it easier on them.

One, I left a shirt with them that had my scent on it.
    Supposedly being able to smell you, is comforting to them.
    Two, the night before I had a lil' talk with them and
    told them I was leaving them for a few days, why and when
    I was coming back. Some people probably think that's foolish,
    but I really think it helps to tell them. and Finally, when I left them
    at the kennel I didn't make a big to do about leaving them.
    I really think how I act emotionally effects them, so if I act like
    it's no big deal, they will too. So I tell them a quick, "Have fun.
    See you in a few days", kiss'em on the top of the head and off
    I go and I don't look back.

They did really well. They didn't eat as much as normal, but
    they weren't so depressed as to not eat at all. And the next
    time I had to leave them, they did even better, because they
    knew I was coming back. They were around 8 yrs old at the
    time. I would think a 10 mo old would have an easier time
    adjusting, then an older dog that's so set in their ways.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Par,
    Thanks for your encouraging words of advice and fast reply, it is highly appreciated and makes alot of sense to me. I guess it will probably be harder on me than on my dog...I keep thinking things like "what if he thinks I left him for good?" and gets depressed and gets sick...I am going to ask my mom to take him before I decide on the kennel, I think that may make me feel better knowing my family will care for him, as they also have a dog. Your reply though has really helped and I am glad I decided to post here. Thanks so much and have a wonderful day!

Hulabird (Kristin)

PS...I liked the idea about talking to him the night before, I do not think that is foolish in any way, I am amazed at the things my dog already seems to understand so that idea is definitely not foolish!

Hi and welcome.

When I only had Captain ...... he was about 1 year old at this stage.

I must admit that I was worried when I had to take my precious monster to the doggie kennel, over one week at Christmas. I was convinced he would think I abdoned him .....

I took his bedding with to the kennel, and told him the night before where he was going, not to be naughty, and when I dropped him off .... did not make a scene.
    Got into my car and drove away BAWLING LIKE AN IDIOT.

I phoned the kennel the following day to see how he was, and the guy just laughed and said "he misses you, but doesn't want me to tell you he is having fun too!".

When I collectd him, he had ripped up his blanket ...... but he was happy to see me nonetheless!!!
    The guy said he was abit "edgy" when I drove away, and for about 20 mins after ............ then "party time!!!!!" Party so much, he ripped his blanket playing "tug of war" with another dog

Good luck, and the shirt thing ...... good idea!!!
    Last edited by captain; 05-28-2003 at 08:35 PM.
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

We have always been very fortunate that a family member or friend has watched our dogs when we were out of town. At the same time I wonder if it would have been better to start them at an eary age in a kennel, for a short period of time. I think dogs may make the adjustment better early on, and then if you kennel them again when they are older they may understand more that you will be back....

What we do have on our side, if the need should every arise to kennel them, is that they go to dayschool and several of the workers there board in their homes. We could kennel with them and the dogs would not be going to a complete stanger.

Thanks to all of you for your great advice and posts, I am getting very close to clicking the button that says "Purchase Ticket & Select Seat" on the ATA web site! I have to decide tonight because my husband has to let his job know that he will be off a week in July....or not. I have already started talking to Jack and saying that in about a month he will be going on a vacation and he will get to see other doggies (that I know he will love)....I guess I am trying desperately to talk myself into it....I know he will be fine...I'm the one who has to get used to this idea.....thanks again everyone.....I really appreciate it!

I can definately relate to you on this one, I think I was more worried than anyone when I had to leave my 3 month old puppy at the kennel.

Here's what I did:
    1. Brought a T-shirt with my smell on it
    2. plenty of treats that are his favorite so it reminds him of home
    3. Buy a neat new toy that he hasn't seen before - this will keep them busy!

Other than that, just call in once in a while (or everyday like I did!) and find out how its going.

I found out in my situation that another puppy was in the kennel and they played 4-5 hours a day and wore each other out! It was like I wasn't even missed!

Good luck, you will make the best decision for you and your "child".

Michelle

Well guys, I totally appreciate all of your help, and really and truly, it helped me, (after sitting with the ATA web site in front of me for 3 hours) to finally click "Purchase Ticket" and finish booking our vacation. Good thing too, because I got roundtrip tickets to Vegas for 350.00 total for both me and my husband, and today the price went back up to $470.00. So my hubby also thanks you guys for saving him alittle money. I am going to use all the suggestions given, they all make so much sense and I will leave it all in God's hands. If I hit a big jackpot I will remember each one of you!
    Well I have a month to go anyway, so now I can get used to the idea, I already keep telling Jack he is going on vacation...I also have a rabbit named Missy Pea, she is used to going to my parent's house during our vacations and it doesn't bother her a bit. If my parents didn't already have a dog, they'd probably let Jack come too, but I am not sure they are ready to handle two dogs and a rabbit. Thanks again everyone!

I don't like to board my animals if at all possible.
    I prefer a relative or friend to watch them. Or a pet sitter.

I used to be one for a few companies and it worked out a lot better for the animal to have someone come to their home. Instead of sending the dog away to a strange place.

You can find a lot of pet sitters here at NAPPS
    http://www.petsitters.org/

And at... PSI
    http://www.petsit.com/

Good Luck!

"If you won't rescue, don't breed"

I realize you've already decided to go ahead with your trip, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone in your anxiety. When we had to go to a wedding last fall, we only had Kito. We couldn't bring him, because the friend we were staying with had just gotten a kitten. I tried a pet sitter, but the ones around here wouldn't take a dog under a year old. Our vet was all set to take him for us, and a friend of mine was in town for the weekend. Her boyfriend was working all day and night Saturday, so I asked her to stay at the apartment with Kito, and she did. I felt so much better with her there with him. Now we have 3, so it's getting harder--we take them with us wherever we go, but this summer we're probably going to take a vacation, but not until our fence is up, so someone can stay here with them again.
    They day we moved, I boarded them at our vet's office--from 9 am until 4pm--not even a whole day, and someone was there the whole time---and I cried when I dropped them off!! I guess I just felt bad They were fine when I picked them up, the tech even said they were little angels (I think she was talking about the wrong dogs).

Sorry it's so long, but I just wanted to share.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

What you should do is leave a stuffed animal or cloth with your dog with your scent on it so you will still be 'with' him in a sense! Hope that helps!
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)