Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smelly Dogs

Karen, sounds like you did the right thing soaping him up in the kitchen. I've never tried the "baby" wipes, but it might be worth having some around. Especially if you catch them "fresh". I guess they think it's "doggy perfume", but, Man, it's nasty!!!

Ikki: I hope we haven't put you off dogs with this discussion. I really do think the Bichon Friese is a lovely little dog that sheds little and is a very smart little dog. What it all really boils down to is this: you'll want to avoid a breed that has a tendency toward skin problems, and then keep its environment as clean as possible and you should have few problems with odor. Please let us know what breed you decide on.

[This message has been edited by ktreva52 (edited December 01, 2000).]

RachelJ, you really have? I never noticed it with the rescue greyhounds that came into PetsMart for informational purposes and potential adoption. Wonder if they aren't keeping them very clean???? The ones I mean re: skin problems are Shar Peis and other wrinkley dogs like Pugs and Bulldogs (English and French, tho' those Frenchies are really cute).

RachelJ!!!!! You are a brave woman, I'll give you that, but it is the enviroment the dogs have been kept in - not, I repeat NOT, the dogs!!!
    Greyhounds, if kept in clean conditions and groomed regularly, are one of the least offensive animals in the world! Even my mother has been known to touch them on ocassion and that's saying something!!
    We kept up to 42 dogs in excellent kennel blocks under excellent management ( O.K it was mine - but I was GOOD!) and visitors nearly always asked how we kept everything so clean and smelling so fresh. Our dogs were groomed daily, fed well and excersised properly. I know I'm going on but I have never met a smelly Greyhound that was healthy!

You did mean me didn't you??!!! (ha ha ha!)

I watched a show a few months ago called "Top 10 Family Pets" (I think that was the name) The Standard Poodle was in the top 10. Their best features were that they had no odor, rarely shed and they were hypoallergenic. The poodles shown were featured with their coat in its natural state and were absolutely beautiful!

Genia you struck a cord with me on this one! I have had four poodles, the last one being a black standard. The others were toys (2) and a miniature. Can't praise standard poodles enough although I loved all of mine dearly!! Standards are just so elegant!!! There is one area that must be kept clean in poodles of all sizes and that is their ears. They grow fuzzy little hairs down in their ear canals which can mix with wax and then have a not-so-nice smell. Most poodle owners merely pluck those hairs at the time of their grooming (which is usually every 6 weeks or so) so it doesn't become an issue.

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited December 03, 2000).]

Smithfield, Rhode Island, United States of America
    DOGS DONT SMELL I HAVE 1 AND THEY ARE CLAENER THAN MY 15 YR OLD BROTHER
    :MAD::MAD::MAD:MAD::MAD::MAD::MAD::MAD::MAD:

1!)There is no reason to be mad at anyone!!!
    2!)I agree with Carrie all the way across the world - my greyhound has no smell whatsoever the only time she did smell was when she came home from the Humane Society when she was around other dogs. One other time I was with her in the backseat of my dad's truck and my mom was in the front and I said "Shai, you stink!" And my mom said "I don't smell anything!" So I don't know what I smelled! Which like Carrie's mom is saying alot- she is not a dog person and cannot figure out where she went wrong with me and my sister!! But she does allow my dog in her house, just not on the furniture which is fine b/c the only thing she is allowed on at my house is the bed. Shai somehow knows when "grandma" is around she isn't allowed on the bed!!!
    Anyway, I have talked to SEVERAL people that are aquainted with greyhounds and they all say they don't smell, so I don't know what she was smelling, but they must not have been in very good conditions!!! I don't even have to bathe Shai very often to keep her from stinkin'!

I will defer to the experts. And I have deleted my post. I don't want to deter anyone from considering adopting a Greyhound because of inaccurate information.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited December 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited December 07, 2000).]

Aw Rachel, your post was funny, good natured and you have as much right to tell us of your experiences as anyone else. Greyhounds kept in bad conditions will smell as bad as any dog kept like that! You met some and told us about it - no problem!

Smelly or not,-I have read they don't smell,- I have not been deterred form adopting an ex-racing greyhound as my next dog. I'm very excited about being able to do this, and find it hard to wait patiently until this happens!

RachelJ, I didn't want to offend you! You were just relaying your experience! I don't think one person's opinion would affect the greyhound adoptions.
    I forgot to mention that I use baby wipes for quick cleanups they work really well!

No offense taken, really. Just want to be fair to the greyhounds. While you guys are here how about checking out my two kids. Hannah in back and Tucker in front.

Oh Rachel,
    They are wonderful! They look like such good friends too. They are much like Honey and Lilly, only smaller!
    Logan

Rachel,

Thanks for sharing the picture.

They are soooo cute!!!