Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smelly Dogs

Smelly Dogs

Does anyone know of the least-smelling breeds of dogs? I've heard Chow-Chows and Bijon Frises are among them.

I don't know about purebread Chow-Chows, but my boy Sue is half Chow and he wants to smell everything...

------------------
    Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue...

LOLOLOL, Steak!

Well I will put in my plug for poodles. I was told by a co-worker many years ago (who owned two) that they had no odor. I have since owned 4 and she was absolutely correct. Also, I guess it doesn't hurt that they must be bathed and groomed approximately every 6 weeks, so that may give them an unfair advantage when compared to other doggies who go longer without their baths. I guess if we humans went as long as most dogs do without bathing, our furry friends might even give us a critical sniff!

Well, I may be the last one any one of you wants to hear re: my opinion of doggy smells, but... Fritos go without saying. MMMMMMM, MMMMMMM, good! But in addition to them, I just love doggy ear smell, fur smell, (wet and dry) and doggy breath, (puppy breath is particularly devine!) I think it's all just a matter of association. Every one of their smells evokes a wonderful memory/thought of them. I had a friend once who, if you can believe this, loved the smell of dirty diapers!!! Any baby's dirty diapers! Just brought back wonderful memories of her loving time with her daughter as a baby! I really have no expert opinion on any particular breed being less smelly than another. But, having worked with dogs in a grooming setting, I can say that the groomers feel, and it seems logical, that most unpleasant doggy smells really do come from improper or inadequate bathing and grooming, as well as unclean ears, draining eyes, etc. Long haired dogs, of course, having more fur, have a tendency to get stinky faster than short haired dogs. Just more surface area to get dirty, retain scents, etc.! Poodles, at our kennel at least, seem to be groomed on the most regular basis. Maybe that's part of it! Anyway, good luck!!!

I think I would rather smell the dirtiest dog in the world than dirty diapers yuck!

Hi, this seemed a good place to educate folks about your own abilities here! Pam had accidentally posted a response so that somehow it appeared three times (hence her apology). I deleted them for her, but she could have done it herself. You can always delete one of your own posts, by hitting the Edit/Delete button. It will ask your user name and password so that it knows you are indeed the author of the message, and then you just need to check the little box that says "Delete this message."

You can only delete your own posts. Paul and I are Moderators, so we can delete anyone's message if necessary, or in this case, is a redundant post!

Originally posted by ownerof3dogs:
    I think I would rather smell the dirtiest dog in the world than dirty diapers yuck!>>>>>>>>>

I think I can agree with you on that one too.

Well, I have to put in a pitch for my Jack Russell Terrier here. She seldom smelled "doggy" and didn't get bathed very often. A lot of it depends on how sensative you nose is, I guess, but any dog is going to smell bad if he/she finds "yard treasures" that are raunchy. We've lived in the country for years and our dogs always found something to roll in that was noxious to say the least. What my point is here is that bathing in a good quality shampoo (but not too often as it will strip the hair and skin of essential oils) is an option that must not be dismissed. So, with that in mind, pick a breed that you like although, I wouldn't recommend the Shar Pei or any of the wrinkley dogs, as they can get smelly wrinkles or may have skin conditions. Another thing to keep in mind, feed the dog a quality food and you'll have less smell from the dog and the yard.

Speaking of treasures: Hubby and I were out recently exploring with our two furkids. We were walking along a creekbed and discovered that we were in cow country, as evidenced by the presence of many, many cow "biscuits". My border collie Max was right by my heels, but when I looked for my aussie, Annie, she was no where to be found. I backtracked a bit and found her, much to my horror, rolling her head in a fresh "biscuit"
    Thank god we were next to water, because she got her first winter bath. She wasn't going to get in MY car!

Karen I actually did click on the edit/delete button but it told me I was not authorized to delete. Again, I must have done something wrong. Maybe a mis-click! Is that a word? Anyway, thanks for making us more computer literate!

I also tried to erase one of my replys and it also sayed I wasn't athorized to do so

Me too, Karen! Message stated only the moderator could delete messages. Any suggestions?

I am sorry for the confusion. I changed the configuration of the software. Everyone should be able to delete their own messages now.

While we're on the subject...Cody has been known to roll his face in smelly stuff too!!! Other than soap and water, is there any "quick fix"when that's not available?? Maybe some of those packaged handwipes? He won't go into the tub or shower, and it was freezing and late so I didn't want to wash him outside, so I gated the kitchen off and soaped up his head, but what a mess! You guys are so much better than me!