Thread: Salt and dog paws

Salt and dog paws

Hi Everyone,

I am curious about why some dogs can walk over a salted driveway without seeming to notice, while other dogs are in obvious pain? My old lab would be able to walk over salted driveway's, walkways, porches, you name it. However, I quickly learned that when winter time rolls around I have to be very careful with my aussie mix, Graham. He is a brave dog normally but when his sweet little feet hit pavement that's been salted he cries loudly and holds his feet up, trying to lick off the "ouchie" stuff. I have to keep booties on him but he sure does not like them.

I was just curious. If anyone knows why this happens to some dogs and not other dogs it would be nice to hear from you.

Adore,

I think that the pads on some dogs' feet are just thicker than others. Some can feel the sting of the salt on their feet, others don't. And if the pads are cracked, the salt may get in the cracks and hurt more. Wash your dog's feet after a winter walk. I also use hand cream on my puppers' pads in the winter to keep them as soft as possible.

dogncatluvr,
    you must be reading my mind because I was thinking of posting about how the pads of Hannah's feet feel so rough and what could I try on them. Thanks.

In response to the hand cream idea....it sounds really good, I'll try it, however, Graham's pads are rough but not nearly as rough as my labs' paws were. My lab had like tree bark on his feet, they were so rough. I wondered if that's really what it could be since his pads are not too rough. I'll try it and see how it goes. I have some really good, super rich hand cream...he won't have popcorn paws anymore tho, he'll have vitamin E feet!

Actually, "udder cream or udder balm" (called different things, but it's the same stuff) might be better than hand cream, because some of the brands of hand cream sting my hands too. It just depends what the hand cream has in it, I guess.

I think your idea of using a cream made for animals is excellent. I was worrying about the thought of using hand lotion on my dogs. They would just lick it off and I was worried that it would be unhealthy. I have some salve made from hemp that I bought at the Body Shop for my rough feet. Wonder if that would be a good thing to use on my dog's feet. It is all natural and doesn't have any scents added to it.