Thread: Advice on an Injured Stray

Advice on an Injured Stray

Hello,

I need some advice concerning one of my local strays. I did a TNR for this cat (Mummy) last summer so she if "okay" that way. Now it seems she has injured her back paw somehow. She doesn't let it touch the ground (unless necessary), but there is no obvious wound.

I would like to try and trap her to take her into the vet and get it fixed up, but I am not sure I would be able to get her in a trap again. It took me months the first time when I had her spayed.

Any advice or suggestions? I would like to try and get her in ASAP (but it is totally dependent upon her).

Cheryl

How long has her paw been this way? You may want to wait about a week to see if it improves. We've had this happen to a couple of our ferals and they got better in about a week. One we actually trapped again, took him to the vet, there was nothing visibly wrong or anything they could do, we released him and he was better in a couple weeks.

If the paw does not improve and she won't go in the trap, you might consider a drop trap.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I am not sure how long this has been going on because she hadn't been around for the last week or so (a big tom cat scared her away). Last night was the first night she had been back in about a week and that was when I first noticed it.

I will keep an eye on her because it will take me a while to get her into the trap and it maybe better by then.

But I do have one question ... I am not familiar with a drop trap. I have only ever used the Save-A-Heart traps.

Cheryl

Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
    I am not sure how long this has been going on because she hadn't been around for the last week or so (a big tom cat scared her away). Last night was the first night she had been back in about a week and that was when I first noticed it.

I will keep an eye on her because it will take me a while to get her into the trap and it maybe better by then.

But I do have one question ... I am not familiar with a drop trap. I have only ever used the Save-A-Heart traps.

Here's a drop trap. My husband made it. If you decide to go this route let me know and he will provide instructions on how to use and make!

Cheryl
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Thank you very much, I maybe taking you up on that offer with the next couple of days...

Just let me know. It could be the tom-cat bit her on the leg!

Anything new with this cat?

Good morning,

Unfortunately I haven't seen the stray around for almost 2 weeks now. I have been told that there is a fox living in the woods behind our apartment complex and I am worried about what happened to her. She has disappeared like this in the past, but usually she eventually comes back. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that she will manage okay

So sorry to hear she hasn't returned. I do hope she's OK. If, God forbid, she had gone to the RB at least she'll be healthy and happy and her paw will be all fixed. Please keep us updated.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Right now I am really really hoping that she has moved to another building in the complex (further away from the fox). I know that she used to be fed by a different person in each building. I can't bare the thought that she might have gone to the RB...but I think that you might be right

She returned last night

Her back paw seemed better and she looked like she had lost some weight, but she was back. It was kind of funny because I had gone inside to feed my cats, but had left the screen door open. I turned around and she was laid out on the patio with the expression of "so what's keeping you"...

I was very very glad to see that she is okay!!

That's good news! Has she been spayed? Just wondering if maybe she went off and had kittens, since she was gone so long and now looks thinner???

Yes, she is spayed. I took care of that a couple of years ago. So there is no worry about little kitties running around.

Whewwww that's a good thing! I'm glad to hear her paw is better.

I am thinking that cats tend to sprain their legs and we see that as a limp. My mother's indoor cat began to limp for no reason she could see. She took her to the vet, who wanted to keep the cat overnight and AMPUTATE ITS LEG!!!!! She refused and the next day, Shanna was fine.
    My mother goes to a different vet now.