Thread: What would you do if.....

What would you do if.....

What would you do if your dog had been serverily injured or hurt and you didnt have much money and you and your family would go bankrupt if you were to pay to save your dog?? My father and I have gone threw this convosation millions times. My father said thsi if the dog was old like around 14 he would rather put it to sleep but if it was under 14 then he would pay to help it.. me on the other hand if the dog only had a year to live or not even a year mabey a week I would help it and do what ever
    I could! I was just wondering and thought it would be something people could reply to.. also this has nothing to do with the subject but today my dad was mowing the yard and Simba had snuck out and when my dad turned the lawn mower on Simba started barking and growling at it and trying to attack it like it was going to hurt my dad our something.. it was totally strange!!!

------------------
    *.KayAnn.*&Simba*RuFf*

I would do anything to save it. If I don't have enough money I will borrow from my friends or parents. I think anyone who have dogs will understand my situation.

I think under most circumstances I would do whatever I could to save my pet. With that said, I did opt to have my poodle put to sleep 2 1/2 years ago as the vet had tried everything he could to bring her around. She had stopped eating and when she did eat, it came right up. She had an enlarged liver and the next step was to be a biopsy. She had already been in the doggie hospital for several days on IV and, at the age of 14, we didn't want to put her through any more. She had a long life with us with lots of love and we just couldn't see prolonging her suffering at her age. Each case will be different, but for us it was right.

On a lighter note BaSim, I am turning green with envy reading that your dad is mowing the lawn! Snow is in our forecast for tomorrow (3"-6" predicted). It's been a long time since we mowed around here!

Have to say that my nursing training has caused me to always take the "do everything at any cost" approach. Of course this is not feasible for everyone. I always want to believe a vet could never turn down a family or animal in need. I was surprised to learn at any early age that this is not always the case. I know I would try to do everything possible to help any animal in need, had I the means. Not of course if this meant the furkid would be subjected to undue suffering or pain at my selfish need to keep her or him with me. It can, as we all know, be a hard, very painful decision.

just to let you know Pam it is 80 deegrees and sunny here =O) i wish we had snow i have only seen it 2 times once in tennesee in the mountains and it was only about 2 inches of it and then fake snow at universal studios ( a theme park down here) and that was faek snow

Good question Basim! I was just looking into Pet Insurance. Does anyone know about it? The plan I read about was around $300 a year for both my dogs and after a $100 yearly deductible would pay for 80% of all medical and dental costs. This coverage included spay/neuter, illness, accident, surgery, etc. I don't know of anyone who has it. I think I'm going to check with my vet and the Better Business Bureau to check into this company and others like it.

I purchased Pet Insurance last year.
    It was between two companies and
    I chose PPI. Last year I submitted a
    claim. It took awhile, but I did
    get my portion of the money refunded with-out any problems. Customer service was very
    professional too.
    I forgot the name of the other company,
    the vets usually carry their brochure in their office and it has been around longer than the one I chose.)
    Read the small print on what is not covered
    and ask questions before you decide.
    I also checked with the BBB.

I'd do anything I could to save my precious Daisy! I have talked about this also with my parents. My mother says she would do what she could with the money we have, but wouldn't want to go too far. My father on the other hand, would do anything for our Baby Daze. She's a part of the family, just like me, and I know my parents would so anything for me. We'd borrow money or whatever was necessary. If anything ever happened to her and she could have been fixed up perfectly, but we let her down, I would just not be able to live with myself.

I too miss mowing the lawn! Although Basim, it's sad you have only seen real snow once. It is very beautiful and fun to play in... but the BEST part about snow is SNOW DAYS!

This is such a hard thing to deal with. I know I would want to do everything that I could for my pet. Having the experience with my cat's boosters just recently (see Scary Vet checkup Result under Cat Health) just made me all the more aware at how frightening it is when a pet becomes ill. I was so scared when my Marius was throwing up blood that I was just beside myself(although the vet didn't seem to concerned when I called in histerical about it)!! In such frightening moments, one does not really think, but they act...to do everything and anything they can for a pet. I don't know what I would do without mine!! But, I also agree with the statement that tats posted "Not of course if this meant the furkid would be subjected to undue suffering or pain at my selfish need to keep her or him with me. It can, as we all know, be a hard, very painful decision."
    Misty, my dog who has gone on to the rainbow bridge, had had 2 strokes(in her later years), but we did everything we could for her. She wasn't suffering from the strokes, but her head became a little tilted to the left. As long as she could eat, drink and get around and feel ok, that was good. Unfortunately, things got really bad (right before my wedding no less in June 1999), and we decided it was best to put her down. She had lived a long and happy life and we are glad for that, but it didn't make that decision any easier. I'm thankful for the years growing up with the best dog a kid could ever have had It is interesting to think about and discuss with others, though! Thanks for the topic, basim!

Pam, it is awfully strange to be mowing the lawn this time of year. I'm sure basim can relate to this, everything is green and we're mowing our grass on a weekly basis. People with hay fever must just hate it out here in northern CA. I tell you what, I've never seen such sites and big clouds of yellow being blown out of the trees up by where we live!! It's pollen!!! Yikes! Thank goodness I'm not allergic to anything!

Daisy's mom, I totally agree that Snow days are the best! Growing up in Indiana, I had my share of those! That's why the CA climate seems so odd to me!! As a kid, I always looked forward to those free days off, and I'd go and play in the snow with my dog for hours!!!

This is a little off the pet subject, but there are a lot of drivers tonight in the Middle Atlantic states (where I live) who would be very happy if they weren't seeing snow today. It took me 1 1/2 hrs. to get home from work tonight (normally a 10-15 min. ride). BaSim, we always want what we don't have!

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited February 22, 2001).]