Thread: Speaking of Smelling Your Dog...

Speaking of Smelling Your Dog...

My little pup came in the other night with a sticky substance on her rump. Turns out it's pine pitch. Any ideas on how to remove it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I think I'll send her chasing under the furniture to collect dust for me!

Cinder & Smoke say ~

Hi, Peanut ~ Here's a kliker to a site Dad found that tells a way to remove Pine Tat or Pitch from the Pup's coat: http://www.peteducation.com/howdoi/tarpaint.htm

Let us all know if it wurks!

------------------
    /s/ Cinder & Smokey
    the Rescued & Adopted
    FurKids of *Phred*

The groomers at the kennel where I work had a bad case of "pine pitch" the other day. All the "old timers" say to use acetone. DON'T!! Several sites have said that this can be very caustic and dangerous to the dog. I haven't had a chance to check into Phred's site. But, from what I've read, vegetable oil or something similar is the best and safest method. Then combing out with a fine toothed comb. I have lots of pitch pines on my property. I FEEL for you! It's just awful to get out. Good luck and keep us up to date! Just read Phred's site suggestion....Can't believe I got this one right!

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited February 21, 2001).]

You folks are excellent! Thanks. Will keep you posted.

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke:
    Cinder & Smoke say ~

http://www.peteducation.com/howdoi/tarpaint.htm

Cinder & Smokey my old Mate, thank you for this website. It's great. I found lots of good things there.

I am no dog, but when I was little I practically lived in trees with my sisters and cousins. We even named our three favorites, Savey, Pitchy, and Stump. Pitchy's name says it all. We'd go home at night covered in pine pitch, head to toe. It was quite painful having Mom try to comb my hair, so we came up with a way to get it out. A good shampooing with lots of soap usually got it out of my hair, after saturating it with vegetable oil. Not sure if it will work on dogs, but it worked for me

The vegetable oil works nicely! Thank you so much. As soon as I applied it that icky sticky feeling went away, and it's slowly disolving the pitch. The pup has been spared "dust mop duty!"

Cinder and Smoke...and Dad too

Our Mom has been at that web-site A LOT recently, and it is grrreat! Her fur family has not been feeling too good, so she looks up things there.

Bailey and Heidi (Chocolate and Black Labs)

P.S. Mom's been reading us your 'doption story, Smoke, and you are one lucky pup! Behave 'K?