Thread: A telephone conversation at the shelter...

A telephone conversation at the shelter...

Speaking of STUPID PEOPLE...I went to the shelter yesterday to do my thing. As I walked in, I heard the girl in the office on the phone to someone who had dumped off their cat, an 8 month old orange tiger male.

Here's how the conversation went, as I has giving her a "thumbs UP". She had SUCH restraint! I would've hung up on the idiot.

"Okay, so you're telling me you dumped off your unneutered, unvaccinated 8 month old cat here, WHY???" "You didn't want it anymore and couldn't afford to take it to the vet". "I see."

"Now you're telling me that the circumstances have changed, and that you're able to give it a good home, have it fixed and get all it's vaccinations, correct?" "What made you change your mind??"

"Oh, I see...your 12 year old daughter is miserable and crying, making your life a living hell and wants the cat back."

"Well sir, I'm afraid it just isn't that simple." "Why??" "Since you dumped off your cat, this shelter has vaccinated, neutered and medically treated your cat for fleas, ticks, earmites AND an upper respiratory infection."

She then told the caller that they would not just hand over the cat, that they would have to fill out a 3 page adoption form and pay an adoption fee to get the cat back. She also told them the Director would be the one to decide whether or not they WOULD get their cat back, and she wouldn't be in the office till Tuesday.

The idiot on the phone began yelling, saying they didn't like the woman's attitude, and that it WAS their cat and had a right to get it back. Cheryl (the shelter office worker) told him that they relinquished the rights to their cat when they dumped it off and signed a release.

She was my hero! I would've gone off on those stupid people and probably gotten fired. But again, that's just me

I hope the cat gets adopted before the director returns on Tuesday. Those people have no business have kids let alone pets!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

hear! hear!
    stupid bastard. poor cat!
    I hope he doesn't get it back, but I feel bad for the little girl. great way to teach her responsibility! it's a living being not a disposable toy

As a volunteer at my local humane society I was helping with pet adoptions and experinced the following. The day before a man dropped off a dog near death. It was undernurished and in need of medical attention. It was under a year of age. He said he just couldn't take care of it anymore. The very next morning the same guy came in and was wanting to adopt one of the big dogs in the kennels!!! What an IDIOT!! As if we would really let him get another pet. So he says well I can just go to animal care and control and get one there. We told him to go ahead. We than quickly called and let the ACC know about this guy and his name. Some people will never get it!
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

I do feel for the daughter but she'll get over it.
    It is more important that the cat gets a loving home with the necessary vet care.

you know, the guy is really something. I hope he gets his reward soon(karma etc)

it's one thing if someone really , honestly can't handle an animal anymore, but to do something like that! and then , how stupid is he to tell you that, but glad he did... but he will get another dog, but what I don't understand, he will have to pay for that dog, so why not just pay for the first dog to be cared for?
    it's just beyond my comprehension, those kinds of people!

I do feel for the daughter but she'll get over it.
    yes I'm sure she will, but unfortunately she will learn his stupid ways, no responsibility for the care of an animal.
    you know, thinking back, my old bf was like that... maybe that is one (of many lol)reason we didn't stay together!

Cisco's Mom,

Boy, talk about hudzspa (sp?)!! I'm glad the shelter called animal control and told them about this idiot. Mary is right. If the guy can afford another adoption fee, he can certainly afford to have gotten his dog medical care!

I also feel kind of bad for the 12 year old kid. All her idiotic father did was teacher her that cats are disposable. I just hope this a-hole doesn't get the idea that he can go out and get her ANOTHER cat or kitten to appease her.

While we're on the subject of stupid people...a few years ago my daughter's cat Sox kept peeing in her father and stepmother's laundry basket. Rather than get the cat medical help to rule out a UTI, my dirtbag of an ex-husband took the cat "somehwere" (he wouldn't tell me where) while Amy was at my house for the weekend. My daughter was devastated when she came home and found her cat gone! I called all over the place to see if we could find her and get her back. We never found her. My friend's cat had just had 5 kittens. I took one of them to my house. Callie was waiting for Amy when she came over the following weekend. Callie stayed at my house until Amy got a place of her own. Callie and Amy are living happily ever after (although Callie HATES her Nana for clipping her nails ) Amy has never forgiven her father for what he did and neither will I. I just HOPE that Callie got a good home.
    Last edited by moosmom; 05-18-2003 at 05:14 PM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

OMG! What an idiot! I'm so glad that that lady set HIM straight
    I've been BOO'd!

that si so sad... what a jerk.
    my ex bf , brought lucy home ot me, as a gift. yeah then what the moron do some months later? he brings home a horse of a dog, which would be fine if we wern't living in a cracker box of a house at the time, a studio house! luckily Lucy was very calm and was fine witht he big dog.
    one day, I had enough and told my bf that the dog was eating all the cat foo,. we ended up arguing, and I got pushed down , and Lucy got thrown outside!
    ewww, it was war!. I got up, got Lucy, brought her back in, and lheld her, then I got the dog and took him outside, and I told the bastard(bf) that the only time that dog was allowed in the house was when he was home, and if he ever touched my cat like that again, he would wake up with one hell of a headache! I threatened to smash a lamp over his head!

that is so sad... what a jerk.
    my ex bf , brought lucy home to me, as a gift. yeah then what did the moron do some months later? he brings home a horse of a dog, which would be fine if we wern't living in a cracker box of a house at the time, a studio house! luckily Lucy was very calm and was fine with the big dog.
    one day, I had enough and told my bf that the dog was eating all the cat food. we ended up arguing, and I got pushed down , and Lucy got thrown outside!
    ewww, it was war!. I got up, got Lucy, brought her back in, and l held her, then I got the dog and took him outside, and I told the bastard(bf) that the only time that dog was allowed in the house was when he was home, and if he ever touched my cat like that again, he would wake up with one hell of a headache! I threatened to smash a lamp over his head!

and when Lucy was in need of emergency care, he said no. well I took her anyway, but I had to call my parents to help.

THe good thing is that sometimes parents DO actually learn from these mistakes. Several years ago my uncle to my cousing to go get a dog, well of course my cousin Kris chose the dog with the sign on it's cage that said "I tear up yards" But Kris was determined that was the dog for him. So Max came home a tore up the entire yard. My Uncle sent Max to obeince school and once again Max still tore up the yard. My uncle fixes the yard again, and of course Max still tore up the yard. So my uncle gets upset and takes Max back the the humaine socitety. Well the next morning Kris breaks out in hives from almost head to toe, the doctor asks my aunt if Kris has been under any stress. After she tell the docotor that Kris dog was taken away the doctor suggests they get the dog back. So of course my aunt calls and YELLS at my uncle that when they get home the dog better be back at the house. For the last 6 years Max has been a very loved member of their family.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

yeah! high five to your aunt! nothin' like a woman yelling is there ?hehe!

I feel sorry for that kid too, but I wish that someone adopts the cat soon, and they don't get him back.
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

It's so sad when people think that animals are disposable. These people should never be allowed to own any kind of animal. I sure hope that the cat is adopted to another family so that the original family can't adopt it again.