Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luna: constipated and vomiting after change in diet

Luna: constipated and vomiting after change in diet

I'm a bit worried about Luna at the moment. As I posted earlier, she's on a Hill's s/d diet from last Monday on, because struvite crystals have been detected in her urine, and the new diet is supposed to dissolve them. This means, she isn't allowed to eat the food she's used to, and this is causing problems.

Luna already had problems with constipation in the past; when she was one year old, she got two enemas to make her bowels move again, and since these days, she was eating Hill's Hairball Control respectively Hill's Indoors, plus Hill's Oral Care, and things worked fine. There haven't been any problems with constipation since - until now.

First of all, Luna doesn't like her new diet food very much; she eats a bit, but obviously only as much as necessary, and she often seems to be hungry. Wakes me up at night and when I get up, she would rub my legs and purr, as if she's expecting some yummy treats - heartbreaking!

As soon as she started the new diet, she got constipated again, and yesterday (Friday), she got an enema which helped her pooping, but that was yesterday morning and she hasn't pooped again since.

But she has vomited two nights ago and today, no food, but a yellowish-green liquid (sorry for the details ), today, there was also a hair ball in it, it was the first hair ball she ever puked in her life (usually, she barely vomits). Last night, she desperately tried to get into the bathroom where I have a bamboo plant which she likes to eat (she's not supposed to), so it's very likely that the hair ball was already bothering her. But in combination with the constipation, the vomiting is worrying me, even though she did not vomit her food.

Too bad that these things always happen at the weekend when the vet isn't available. I will call her on Monday and ask for Hill's s/d canned food, it has the same effects (reg. struvite crystals) and I hope Luna likes it better, it also might stimulate her bowel movements again. To prevent constipation, the vet has already given me paraffine oil to be poured over her dry food, but Luna refuses to eat it.

Has anyone experiences with this subject? I'm feeling so sorry for my poor Luna, her diet really seems to upset her, and she often seems to be hungry. She's also extremely attached to me today, I'm sure she's not feeling too well!

Kirsten

Have you ever tried Laxatone for her hairball treatment? It's available at most vets offices and may be at PetSmart as well(?).
    Some cats will eat it directly from the tube .... if not, you can smear it on her nose or front paws and she will clean it off!

Those hairballs can cause vomiting and constipation both!
    Poor baby, Luna! I hope she gets feeling better really soon!!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I have a malt paste called Petromalt against hair balls which is available here in Germany. Luna doesn't like it (unfortunately, she's VERY finicky), but sometimes I smear it on her nose so she has to lick it of. I'll try to give her some today, but she will hate it!

Kirsten

See if you can find a hairball remedy (like petromalt) in a fish flavor. They like that better.

Poor Luna! I was so hoping she would get better! I know what you're going through. If only you could get hold of the vet and ask advise. Is there an emergency you can ring?

I suppose, all you can do now is give her what you have, even though she doesn't like it - it may help. I hope she'll like the wet S/D! If not, perhaps the C/D will be good enough. Give her small portions at a time!

Give her lots of cuddles (I'm sure you do already) and see if you can get her to drink!

I'll be thinking of her - and you and sending positive thoughts.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Jen, thanks for the advice. It's definitely worth a try! I hope it's available over here!

Thanks Randi! I'll cuddle her from you and I'm sure she'll appreciate it. Luckily, she's drinking a lot, and she hasn't puked anymore. So I really think it was because of the hair ball, at least I hope so. Just in case she'll vomit again, I'll call the vet emergency, if not, I'll wait till Monday and call Luna's vet. Have to ask her for the wet s/d food anyway.

I think she is supposed to eat the c/d after the s/d diet, to prevent a new developing of struvite crystals, at least this is what the vet has told me.

Thanks for your support!

Kirsten

YES, it is s/d first then c/d for life. Mine are all on c/d. they eat the dry, but the wet might be a good choice in Luna's case. Or mix them together so she still gets the "crunch" of the dry food.
    Has Luna had a complete blood count work-up? Constipation can definitely be caused by teh hairballs, but it could be more serious as well, Maybe when you ask about the canned food you should ask their opinion on the CBC.

No, she didn't have her blood tested this time. I know, it's a standard in the US, but in Germany, the vets usually don't do it. I will ask her though...

I actually tend to believe she's constipated 'cause she's not eating her Hill's Hairball Control anymore. She never had problems while she ate that. But now with the s/d, she doesn't seem to do very well.

Kirsten

Maybe you could talk to your vet about a different brand of prescription food? I always had better luck with CNM rather than Science Diet. My oldest, Amadeus is on CNM-UR for bladder crystals and he's done really well on it. I'm not sure if they have specialized ones for different crystals. Or maybe it might be an idea to see a holistic vet? I've never seen one, so I don't know much about them.

Good luck.
    ~Kat

Poor Luna

And poor you, too, Kirsten - the only thing worse than cleaning up kitty vomit is watching the poor things go through it. When Grasshopper was vomiting, I thought, like you, it was hair. However, the presence of so much liquid was not typical of tossing a hairball, at least not for her. They did do a blood panel, which is why she is now on anitbiotics. If she's hanging in there and you can wait to go to your regular vet, you might request they check for infection. My vet also put her on small doses of Pepcid, an antacid med available over the counter here for humans. That has done her a lot of good. Perhaps along with diet changes there might be some supplement you can give her to maintain a healthier stool.
    I'll be thinking of you and praying all turns out well.
    Headbonkies to Luna from grasshopper - Ko
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Kirsten,

Constipation can also be from not getting enough fluid (water). Try giving her some water via a syringe. Another suggestion would be to give her some pumpkin. That always works on constipation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'm so sorry to hear that Luna isn't feeling well. I sure hope that it's only a simple case of hairballs but I'd call the vet just to make sure. Hopefully the vet can suggest something to help her with her new diet. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way.

Thanks everyone for your support and advices! I will definitely call the vet tomorrow and ask for another diet, and I'll tell her about the vomiting.

Luckily, she did not vomit again and...

[SIZE=large]YAY, she pooped this morning!!! [/SIZE]
    But I have to admit that I gave her a spoon full of Sheba and a bit of milk yesterday which cannot be a long term solution. I really hope things will work better with the canned s/d food or another diet.

Anyway, Luna seemed to feel relieved after she pooped, minutes later, she got one of her toys and started happily playing which she hasn't done for days!

Kirsten

She was surely thinking, "That was a load off my mind! " Seriously, though, I hope you can find a diet for her that will be suitable for both liquid and solid waste management.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

You only ever appreciate your bowel when it's not working! I'm glad she went to the toilet, and fingers crossed that a more suitable diet can be found for her
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy