Thread: Snow, Snow, Snow in Southern California

Snow, Snow, Snow in Southern California

I know all of you Easterners are sick of snow, however it is a rare occurance here in Southern California. I came to California fifty years ago from Rhode Island as a teenager with my family and we spend my husbands birthday in the mountains ( he was 71 this year) every year wishing for snow.
    This year we got our wish and then some. It was so much fun, we had six Schnauzers all together and they loved it. All are native Californians. We didn't even know how to put our chains on and snuck by the Highway Patrol and made it to the cabin. We live only approx 5 miles from the Mexican Border, so we are about South as you can get. Idyllwild is only two hours from our home. If you would like to see what the snow looks like in So.California, please look at our website "Idyllwild". http://schnauzerville.homestead.com
    Jackie

Wow! The snow looked gorgeous at the cabin! They actually mentioned the possibility of snow here in San Jose for tonight and/or tomorrow. That would be interesting. I just moved here about a year ago from Indiana, so it definitely was a culture, not to mention a weather shock for me!
    I just love your schnauzers! That breed always used to remind me of little men with mustaches...but that just makes them look so endearing

Love your website! Your dogs are darling and can tell they are loved lots. Would they be spoiled by chance? I would love the snow more if I lived in Calif. too!

Thanks Wolflady and Sammi, we surely do love those Schnauzers, and Sammi yes they are spoiled rotten. Wolflady, yes we had some light snow down here last night, did you get any in San Jose?

Not ALL Easterners are sick of snow! I still love it, even when what was supposed to be a "possibility of flurries" dumped enough tonight to make me shovel again! Enjoy what snow you get, I'd send you some of ours, but it doesn't work that way!

Snow and six schnauzers
    Sparkle, pawprints and "iced dogs"
    Winter visits south!

Jackiesdaisy,
    Loved your website and am so envious of the cabin! I know you enjoy it. The snow and the dogs, and their owners are all special. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Logan

Jackie,

I think I have told you before, but in case I did not, your website is delightful. VERY well done, and your fur babies are sweet as sugar!

Hey, speaking of snow, did anyone see animal planet's show on funny animals last night? It was on at 7:00 I think, Eastern time. Anyway, there was this one video of a dog walking through snow with so much snow packed in it's fur that it wobbled and bobbed like a little drunken It was quite a sight, and quite funny, although I am not sure how a dog could get THAT packed with snow! Maybe it was wet when it went outside and the snow packed and froze to it. Did anyone by chance see that?

Thank you all so much for the kind words.
    I think we go overboard with our babies, but we love them so much. They go everywhere with us, we used to take vacations flying to Europe, Mexico, Hawaii etc, but we restrict our vacations to places now where we can take Perry and Daisy. That is usually to the cabin in Idylllwild or we found a great hotel in Palm Springs that take pets. At our age we were worrying what would happen to them if we fell ill, but our Son and family has two Schnauzers and he has promised to take ours, which relieves our minds. I think that can be a problem with older pet owners, what would happen to their pets if they passed away. I'm glad we have that settled.
    Anyway thanks again for the kind words, we love putting those photos on our website. Our Grandson helped us to set it up. Karen I will pass on the snow, will take it once a year if we are lucky in Idyllwild.
    Jackie

Believe it or not, I actually really miss the old Indiana winters! I went back for Christmas and it was white the whole time. But then again, it always feels so good coming back out to Northern CA. It's like a perpetual spring (or fall). No snow yet, but it's predicted for today and tomorrow. The valley may get some ice and sleet...yuk!!!

jackiesdaisy,
    Thanks for sharing your pictures with us! I had no idea it ever snowed in Southern California. We really have had a lot of snow here in NYC this winter, but I still love it. The only thing is that you have to enjoy it right away because within a few hours, it turns into a yucky brown mess!! It doesn't stay as pretty as it does at your beautiful cabin! I'll bet the babies had lots of fun in the snow!!

I agree with Karen, I am definitely not sick of snow! But who is when you can have snow days? We just got thirty inches dumped on us on Tuesday, and that wonderful feeling of seeing your school flash on the television screen under "School Cancellations" is just wonderful! Daisy was, however, unable to play in the snow because it is way too deep for her! We actually had to save her, she got stuck in a snow bank. For a short dog like her, too much snow isn't good We had to shovel her a little "potty trail!" But she doesn't mind, she has found that she can go down the stairs and travel under the porch to the plowed driveway, and she just romps in the inch or two of snow there Snow-covered pups are just the cutest thing!!! Jackie, you don't go overboard with your doggies! We all do the same things, if not more! My grandparents own a beach house in Seabrook, New Hampshire that we go to every year, but my grandfather does not allow dogs! This is hardly possible for my father and I, who are attached to Daisy the most. This year, we decided not to go without her. Hopefully my grandfather will feel bad that he is keeping us from vacation and give in. We also decided to try to teach Daisy how to do something to help Dad out, like pick things up for him or bark if his vent tube comes undone. Then we could just say she's like a service dog and my grandfather would HAVE to let Daze come! Anyway, it's a big dilemma!!!

To Daisys Mom: I don't blame you, when I was going to school in Rhode Island I loved those days when school was closed and then we could play all day in the snow, when you get our age it's pretty to see, but you can't afford to fall and break something. I hope your Grandfather will change his mind about having Daisy on vacation. That would be wonderful if you could teach her to help Dad out. He just doesn't understand what he is missing, and once Daisy got to go, he would look forward to seeing her every year.
    I know you love Daisy so much just as I love my Daisy, they are both sweethearts.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 12, 2001).]

We've been watching Westminster tonight and the standard Schnauzer just won for the working dog group! Had to think of you! I know yours are from the miniature group that shows with the terriers, but they do look so much alike.
    Congratulations to the Schnauzer. I didn't catch his whole name, but something about Jail House Rock.

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited February 12, 2001).]

ing0962 - Thanks for the information, we will get the program at 8:00 p.m. here in California. Can't wait to see the Schnauzer.