Thread: What a rip-off!!!!

What a rip-off!!!!

After much procrastinating I finally gave in and went down to the pharmacy today, to buy some eyedrops for my springtime allergies. The only kind they had was of this size:

Now, guess what this puny little thing cost me? 154 kr (the equivalent of 15 dollars)!!!! O_O What a rip-off!

And that concludes my little whining rant for the day

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

My thinking is this: If it helps, it will be well worth it!!! Hope you feel better soon, Ann!

That's crazy! Here, I refuse to buy Claritin (a wonderful allergy drug) because every since you don't have to get a presciption for it anymore, the price is almost $1 a pill, I don't have that kind of money. I'll stick to my Zyrtec that the doctor prescribed and not pay a dime for it!

check this out...

go to the hardware store and pick up a three inch, stainless steel
    screw, cost????? about 2-3 cents????

a stainless steel screw, three inches, the kind to fix a broken bone or plate to the broken bone....60 dollars......and that was 7-8 years ago....

60 DOLLARS!!!!!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Claritin (a wonderful allergy drug) because every since you don't have to get a presciption for it anymore, the price is almost $1 a pill,
    Actually...when Claritin was a prescription drug it was about $2.00 a pill. However, you were paying for it through your insurance premiums. If you didn't have a drug card it was $63.00 - $72.00 per month. (I did not have a drug card when I started taking it.)

Originally posted by Dakota's Mommy
    That's crazy! Here, I refuse to buy Claritin (a wonderful allergy drug) because every since you don't have to get a presciption for it anymore, the price is almost $1 a pill, I don't have that kind of money. I'll stick to my Zyrtec that the doctor prescribed and not pay a dime for it!
    This is me too. I hate spending money on myself, but I didn't flinch when I picked up a refill for Bandit's Etogesic yesterday - at $1 a pill. And he needs 1.5 to 2 pills a day!

Yes, isn't it sad that these drug producing companies make such a PROFIT!! It cost them next to nothing to produce most of it! Even considering the research they do beforehand.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I use Clarityn too, and it's also very expensive. But it does work better than the other, cheaper brands I've tried so I'm sticking with it.

I was at the doctor today since I've been having a rougher time than normal with my allergies (and it started earlier this year as well) and it turns out I've developed a cross-reaction to hazel pollen as well >_<

You'd think with all the technology we humans have we'd be able to deal with allergies better than we currently do. But nooooo; we can walk on the moon but not develop a vaccine against allergies

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

Originally posted by Randi
    Yes, isn't it sad that these drug producing companies make such a PROFIT!! It cost them next to nothing to produce most of it! Even considering the research they do beforehand.
    *AHEM* I must beg to differ.

Let me first put in the following disclaimer: I work for a pharmaceutical company.

I don't know the exact figures, so please bear with me.

For every drug that humans (and animals) have available the drug started out as a mess of organic goo in a beaker.

The organic goo has to be purified, and find out if it's any good. This is called "in vitro" studies. It goes into a test tube with cells or bacteria or whatever, and we see if it does anything.

Say it's good? Then the stuff has to go through at least one round of animal testing and three rounds of human tesing (Phase I, II and III.) The money to do all this comes from....guess where? The bux (euros, pounds...) you pay for the meds that are out there now.

So of the goo in the beaker, how many Claratins are there?

Maybe one in one thousand!

Now, do I think the Pharma industry has some objectionable things they do, like direct to consumer adverts and lobbying? Yes. Any industry contains bad behavior.

Just an opinion by way of presenting the other side. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

15 dollars is kind of a big price for something so small.they should do something to cut down the price.
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~