Thread: rawhide fattening???

rawhide fattening???

I don't think it's true, but I heard that rawhide was fattening I don't give it to the dogs, but I give it to the rats and I figured I'd get a better chance of replies here lol

Does anyone know? I give the rats a large piece of rawhide a day, and they are the perfect size, so I'm not so sure...
    I've been BOO'd!

Not sure about fattening or not, but if our Eli (collie/lab mix) is given a fairly large rawhide bone, he developes a bad case of gas.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

INFO

HI I AM BLADE5 I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RATS BUT I DO KNOW MY DOG TRAINER SAYS THAT RAWHIDE IS BAD FOR YOUR DOG AND SHE SAYS THAT IF YOU DO GO WITH RAWHIDE STICK WITH THE RAWHIDE COMPRESSED BONES. (THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN REGULAR RAWHIDE I THINK)

LATER
    BLADE5

i'm not sure...Kai use to have alot..but now only has one bone so I can monitor him when he chews.

Originally posted by Fuzzy317
    Not sure about fattening or not, but if our Eli (collie/lab mix) is given a fairly large rawhide bone, he developes a bad case of gas.
    The same thing happens to my mom's dalmation--whew!!!

Our dogs don't really get rawhide--they cannot have bones, because they may fight, so we just stick to things like Nylabones.
    I would imagine, like anything, if the dog eats to much of it, he or she could gain a few pounds.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I don't know if rawhide is fattening, but it can be very bad for a diabetic dog. It's like giving a kid candy. The blood glucose level goes way up.

I stopped giving my dogs rawhide because it can get caught in their throat or even their intestines if they swallow a chunk. Very occasionally they'll get a stick of chopped and compressed rawhide.

Mary

I have heard a lot of people say that rawhide is bad for dogs. But we have use rawhide a lot for all of our dogs to keep them busy and to keep them chewing on something that is theirs not our furniture etc. We didn't use it much for Oreo our 13 1/2 year old dog and she ate the couch, the chair, pillows, the loveseat, the curtains. Since we got Dazzi almost 2 years ago now and definitely since we got Taggert a year ago, there is always rawhide for them to chew on. On winter evenings it kept the 4 younger dogs busy doing something besides driving me nuts. Now that summer is here we will be taking them to the dog park so they probably won't need as much rawhide. But as far as I am concerned it is great for dogs. Maybe cause it is always available here they don't "overeat" it. They chew awhile and then sleep or go do something else.

Since it is available to them all the time and since none of my dogs are overweight (well, maybe Snoopy by about 5 lbs.) I would say it does not add calories. Maybe all that chewing uses up all the calories they eat. I do notice they drink more water after chewing on a bone for any length of time.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Thanks everyone

I'm still not sure if it is great for rats, but oh well, lol.
    I've been BOO'd!