Thread: What breed...?

What breed...?

I am gettin a horse soon as mine passed away last month but i dont know what breed to get. i would like one that isnt too high spirited but is a good jumper. If any one has any ideas on what breed would be good i would luv 2 hear!

Can't help in the horse department, but I would like to say welcome and sorry for your recent loss.

Dutch Warmbloods are EXCELLENT jumpers. BUT... a good Dutch jumper can run you $60,000. They also have wonderful temperments. TB's are nice too. My friend has a beautiful Thoroughbred who is a good jumper. His name is Victor. You can see pictures of him jumping here: Click here: Webshots

I have also heard that Cleveland Bays make pretty good jumpers, especially if they are crossed with TB. Irish Drafts are natural hunters, but I haven't seen many around. Other good jumpers: Selle Francais, Holsteiner, Trakehner, and I am sure there are more.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Also Perchron/TB crosses are great. I'll see if I can find some pictures of them. My Moms friends owns Perchrons n' breeds crosses n' throughbreds. They aren't too high spirited anyways b/c of the draft in them, so thats cool. They are soo sweet but most horses are.
    Im soo sry to hear about your loss n' I hope you find another great horse.

While I am around horses, Quarter Horses aren't skittish or anything, and they are good jumpers. I would reccomend the Quarter Horse!

I personally would not recommened a Quarter Horse for serious show jumping (showing, not just for pleasure). They are pretty stocky, and were built more for working on ranches roping and cutting cattle. They also make great pleasure riding horses, like Jack. An Appendix Quarter Horse might be good, because they are crossed with TB. If it is just a Quarter Horse, I wouldn't use it for show jumping. This is based on the Quarter Horses I work with every summer, and others through out my life.

If you were into serious show jumping I would recommed the breeds listed in my first post. I have seen all those breeds perform before, except for the Irish Draft, and they did a splended job.

A wonderful website to see horses for sale is www.equine.com. If you do search by horse, you can alter it to find EXACTLY what you want (i.e. breed, performances, location, etc). You might want to look around there to get an idea

GSDgurl- That's really neat! At the stable where my friend boards Victor there is a TB/Cylesdale (I believe), and the owner does dressege with him. I think it would be really cool to have a draft cross!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb