Thread: litterbox smell

litterbox smell

Sophie and Zoe's litterbox smells very bad! We clean it often and use some arm and hammer descenter but it's still pretty smelly. What do you suggest that has worked for you?
    Thanks! Laura, age 14

PS visit Sophie and Zoe's new site!
    http://www.geocities.com/lilboardergurly/laurascats.html

Maybe you need to change the litterbox itself - is it quite old? Or have you recently chaned their food?

Sorry but that's all I can think of!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Laura,

It COULD be your litterbox. Especially if you've been using it for a while. I've started replacing all my litterboxes because I've had them a long time. After a while the plastic absorbs the odor and no matter how much you scrub, disinfect and clean them, the odor stays. Pet Supplies Plus has a sale on jumbo hooded litterboxes for $15.00 for the month of May. It might be worth it to replace it.

Ally Cat's Mommy is right, it could also be the food you're feeding them.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

What kind of litter do you use? We recently went on a trip and had a neighbor come over and feed and visit with our kitties and scoop out the litterboxes.

We normally allow our cats to go outside so this was my first experience in a few years with cat litter. I used a combination of Tidy-cat mutiple cat, fast acting, and Tidy-cat multiple cat - long lasting. Both are the scoopable litters and did they ever do the trick. The neighboor scooped out the litter each day and when we came home a week later, we couldn't smell a thing!

Oh - and welcome to PetTalk - you'll find lots of friendly people here willing to help you out when ever you have a question.

lil Laura, I used to use creek sand for cat litter, but it wouldn't contain the smell. Now, since I have moved to another state, I use "Special Kitty" cat litter. It comes in a red-25 lb bag. It has been found that although it does not have the same "perfuming" feature as the other brands, It does keep the odor suppressed much better.

Does your furkid's litter box still smell after you have cleaned it up? If it does, then I would suggest that you replace the box. Personally I keep litter plastic tubs around the house. They can be purchased for about $4.00 each from most any hardware or home and garden store..

The next item is their food. What have you been feeding them? Is it dry or canned food, also how old are your furkids?

Sophie (the stinkier one, no offense) eats wet food in the morning and Nutro-Max Kitten dry food during the day. Zoe sometimes eats Sophie's food and also eats IAMS something or other adult formula. We use tidy cats litter. Thanks for your help everyone! I will try some new things

If you are using the covered litter boxes, some of them have the option of putting in charcoal filters. These will greatly reduce the odor coming from the litter boxes. One set of filters is usually good for 3-4 months and they aren't that expensive.