Thread: Sick Rat

Sick Rat

As some of you all know, I recently adopted 3 rats. Their names are A.J., Chester and Noah. Chester seems to be sneezing almost constantly. Since I did some research online and read on many, many websites, I saw that it was okay to give him one tenth of a CC of amoxicillin to him. Chester is going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning... but I was wondering if anyone else has given their sick rat amoxicillin? Also, should I keep him away from the other guys? Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh... and is it possible for all of these little guys to come from the same litter? Their estimated age is about four months. Two of them, A.J. and Noah look almost identical. It is very difficult for me to tell them apart, but the shortness in A.J.'s tail makes it easier. Chester has blue markings only on his head and neck. Noah is the biggest one, then A.J., then the little one is Chester. I'm just curious. Thanks again!
    "It can't rain all the time." -Eric Draven
    "If you have words, you have power." -Brian

eep, yes, definatly keep him away from the others! Rats contract sicknesses very easily..Does he have any porphryin (red discharge around his nose??) So sorry to hear he's sick..
    I've never given my rats that type of medicine before, so I don't know anything about it..

It's very possible that the could be from the same litter. All different patterns and colours can come from the same litter. Icarus is an agouti hooded, and in his litter he had another agouti hooded, an agouti veriegated, a black verigated, and a fawn hooded.
    I've been BOO'd!

Awww...poor rattie! I have never given my rats amoxicillin, but I have given them Baytril for a case of pnemounia. It is also a good idea to keep them seperated, and wash your hands after handling the sick rattie.

As Wolfsoul said, it is quite possible that they could be from the same litter.

I hope your rat gets better soon! Have a safe trip to the vet!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Have you read any information off of this website? I think it is one of the best rat information pages out there. It is called Virginia's Rat Page. There is a lot of medical questions & answers, information, etc.

Here is a nice little piece of information about sneezing from Virginia's Rat Page (links to Rat & Mouse Club of America), check it out: Click here Scroll down a little bit until you find the Q & A about sneezing rats.

In case you don't have the Virginia's Rat Page address, here it is! It is a must for all rattie owners, IMO. Virginia's Rat Page

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Yes Amoxicillan and Clavamox is common to use with rodents. It can cause diahrrea but it's good for fighting off secondary infections or to help with scratches and absceses if they aren't too bad. Baytril like YLL said is more common for severe infections like Myco, wounds etc. If you do use Amoxi-drops or Clavamox you can give the rat active cultured yogurt to help his digestion.

If it is something contagious there is NO reason to seperate them, as if one has it there is a very good chance they all do! He could also be sneezing from allergies to bedding or things int he air as well. It's not good to seperate them unless you have to, especially since they are bucks they could start fighting once the boy is put back in with the others. Rats are very social and like to have friends. Some rats are very prone to Myco outbreaks so there is a good chance he could just be having an outbreak but the other ratties have stronger immune systems. I have one rat here, Bandit who has to be treated about every two months with Baytril. He has BAD flareups and it will one day claim his life.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by luckies4me
    If it is something contagious there is NO reason to seperate them, as if one has it there is a very good chance they all do!
    That makes no sence to me. What if the others DON'T have it, then they definatly WILL get it, if you don't seperate them. I am not talking so much about sneezing, I am talking about other illnesses.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    That makes no sence to me. What if the others DON'T have it, then they definatly WILL get it, if you don't seperate them. I am not talking so much about sneezing, I am talking about other illnesses.
    If it's anything bad, and they have been kept together the others will already have it. Rat viruses are very contagious, if they groom eachother and use the same water bottle etc. they will all have it. If it is spread through aerosol and kept in the same building then they will get it as well. No reason to seperate if they are already living together.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.