Thread: potty training

potty training

I am looking for a real good idea/ ideas on how to get the dog to potty in one spot of the lawn without having to be there all the time.

When Cody was a puppy and could carry him I took him down the the spot I wanted to use (all the while repeating "Cody make ....."as I was even opening the door)and put him down
    and just kept repeating it followed by "good boy'" if he moved, I just put him back to the spot and afterwards gave him a treat and
    repeated "Good Boy made ......" honestly took about 10 days or less, as small as he was. Now I just put him on a 40ft leash and he heads to his spot. of course he sometimes strays-all the while looking back at me (laughing I'm sure!) but 99 % of the time he's as good as gold. Good luck!

Originally posted by mary:
    I am looking for a real good idea/ ideas on how to get the dog to potty in one spot of the lawn without having to be there all the time.
    Check the local petstore for potty training aids. They will have everything from scented papers to sprays. I used a spray to train my dobe, Jake. Take the pooch to where you want him to do his duty, spray the "spray" on the ground(bush,tree,neighbor) and praise the heck out of him when he does his business there. Should take 1 to 2 weeks.
    good luck