Thread: OK to swallow rawhide "bones"?

OK to swallow rawhide "bones"?

Is it OK for dogs to eat rawhide bones? I bought some of the big ones for large-breed dogs. I thought they were just for chewing, but Max ate the whole thing this morning. Will that hurt him?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I'm no expert, but you really need to be careful with rawhide, especially if they are voracious chewers like my Lilly is. She doesn't just "knaw" on the bone, she attacks it, and I have had to have my hand down her throat more than once. Maybe it would be better if you found an alternative for Max, just in case. The frightening stories about rawhide include choking and intestinal blockage, but many people give them to their dogs with much success.

Good luck!!

Logan

Thanks, Logan!!

I've heard that the pigs' ears are really bad for them because they can cut their intestines going down but I hadn't heard much about rawhide.

I have had success with those knuckle bones. They are HUGE and they last a long, long time, but I won't let them bring them inside, so the girls get mad at me!!! They are YUCKY!!!!

We also have a love for beef ribs at Tony Roma, and we share our bones with the dogs. Beef ribs are much larger than regular pork ribs. Again, they aren't allowed indoors, but even 13 year old Murphy gets excited to see the Tony Roma bag come out of the freezer!! I freeze them and give them as treats on occasion. I always watch them very closely, though, when I share them.

Logan

Here is THE ultimate Pet Talk thread on the topic of rawhides!! Logan, you will remember this and a lot of other veterans, too! It's from Dec. of 2000 and it's over 5 pages...You should be able to get a lot of informative info. from it. Personally, as my Lab Star is a voracious chewer, giving her rawhides just makes me too nervous; a couple of times she almost choked on them! Here's the thread...

Rawhides, pros and cons

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

We do give our dogs rawhides, although I limit the amount...too much makes Cincy have runny poo Also, I try to only buy that made in the US. Other countires do not have the FDA regulations we have here and some of the chemicals used in making the rawhide is dangerous to dogs.

We have found Nylabones to be a great alternative, although some people don't like those either. Like everything else, you have to decide what is right for you and your dogs

Occasionally we give each dog a rawhide, but not often. Too much to fight over . When we do give them rawhides, we get the compressed ones. They last much longer, even for Chester who is also a voracious chewer. Usually they just get Booda Bimples and Dental Bones from Petsmart. Or Greenies. They used to get "Bully" sticks until I found out what those are! YUCK!!!!! Too bad though, cause the braided ones lasted FOREVER!

My friend knew a german shepherd dog who was given raw hide bones, and the dog ate an entire one. Then he stopped eating and got really sick, so the owner took him to the vet and the vet told him that the bone had gone into his stomach, and the rawhide had soaked up all the juices in his stomach, causing it to swell. So it was stuck in his intestines and he needed to have surgery to get it out If you ever put one in water, you will see it get bigger.

Other than scary incedents like that, I don't think rawhide is a bad thing, just maybe some types or shapes or something.
    I've been BOO'd!

I don't give Cisco rawhide, but there is a new type out there. Instead of being a whole peice of rawhid it is a bunch of tiny peices compresed together. I don't know what it is called, but maybe this would be safer.
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

Angus tries to swallow his whole after it gets soft, so they are a no-no for him he chokes himself, but the girls both eat all of their so they are allowed, with supervision of course

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Micki, What is a "Bully" bone? From your expressions it must be gross. I think I have an idea!

I had to take the rawhide bones away because Max and Jake fight too much. But Jake's 2 lbs overweight and the vet said the rawhide is good for his teeth and doesn't have any calories (unlike milkbones), so I think I'll give him some rawhide to chew on occasionally.

Knucklebones are a good idea. I think I'll pick some up at the butcher's once in a while.

Max breaks the rawhide bones up into pieces about 2" X 2" or so before he swallows them. I was afraid he was going to choke!

Originally posted by Cisco's Mom
    I don't give Cisco rawhide, but there is a new type out there. Instead of being a whole peice of rawhid it is a bunch of tiny peices compresed together. I don't know what it is called, but maybe this would be safer.
    I think it is called a compressed rawhide bone!! LOL!! We have gotten the compressed bones in the past and Honey will attempt to work on one for days, that is until her greedy sister, Lilly, steals it and gobbles it down! For Lilly, the harder the better, otherwise they don't last very long!