Thread: Teach a dog to use the treadmill?

Teach a dog to use the treadmill?

Has anybody here ever taught their dog to use the treadmill?

I'm trying to think of some creative ideas to exercise Max. He has so much energy that I just can't tire him out. This is the first day we've had him, and I can tell he needs a lot of exercise. The treadmill might work!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I'm going to do this once I get a treadmill lol. I would start out by just keeping Max on the treadmill while it's off and pet him and praise him for a few days while on it. Then, I would tie him up to it while it's on VERY low, so he's not startled, and so he will only have to walk slowly. As he gets more advanced, then I would turn it up to a run, and he wouldn't have to be tied to it
    I've been BOO'd!

Would a treadmill really be a good idea? I don't know, I would be just worried that they might not take that step and go sliding off. Also, isn't there that oil on the treadmill? I don't think that would be very good for the pads on their feet. Sorry, maybe its alright, I'm just wondering.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I've seen on T.V. how people use treadmills with their dogs all the time. It's even used on racehorses I don't know about oil? I used to have a treadmill, it never had oil. I've never heard of that before? If they slide off, I don't think it would hurt them, probably only startle them? I've gone sliding off a couple times when I was little, but it didn't bother me much..
    I've been BOO'd!

We've tried that with Roxey......NO WAY!
    She wouldn't have any part of it!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

lol funny, as a matter of fact Daisy uses the treadmill! We started by putting her on a leash and just letting her walk on it. Now i just say treadmill and she hops on!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I've seen on T.V. how people use treadmills with their dogs all the time. It's even used on racehorses I don't know about oil? I used to have a treadmill, it never had oil. I've never heard of that before? If they slide off, I don't think it would hurt them, probably only startle them? I've gone sliding off a couple times when I was little, but it didn't bother me much..
    Okay, like I said, I don't know.

About the oil, I have a treadmill and there is this black stuff that goes on the track, I think to keep it running smoothly. I always called it oil, maybe its not.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

hhmmm, I don't know

But I dreamt about horses running on treadmills last night lol
    I've been BOO'd!

That's encouraging, that Daisy uses the treadmill. How did you get her to walk on it? Of course - she's little so you could probably just pick her up and put her on a few times.

Any ideas how I could get Max on it?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I've seen it on tv, but wouldn't have a clue how to do it. But, it's probably like anything else new that you introduce to a dog--give them some treats and some praise, do it slowly, and only for a little while at first, and he'll probably adjust.

My mother in laws pom, Casey, jumped on the back of her treadmill once when she was using it--I wish I would have seen it
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Daisy kind of really taught herself to do it! But, to get her really to walk on it, i guided her with the leash onto the treadmill, she was a little sciddish(sp?) at first, but now, loves to go on it, i just say treadmill and shes on! What i suggst is holding th leash and let them "experiment"with it at first, then as time goes by u could tie the leash to the treadmill or simply take them off it! Treats also work too!