Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heeeeeeeeeere's MAX!

You all have had a lot of good ideas! Maybe the bicycle attachment would be a good idea, and I also will take him to the park on a long lead.

I won't let him run next to the car - even out in the country.

I have another idea we're going to try tonight - we're going to take him to the park and see if he'll pull us on the merry-go-round!

I also think he looks a lot like Kersey - so he probably is a German Shepherd Rottweiler mix.

My son and I took the dogs for a walk this morning. We didn't put Max on his gentle lead because the one we bought is too big for him and we want to return it. He pulled so hard on his lead that my back is sore! But he's pretty obedient. When he got too out of control I would just tell him to sit, and he sat immediately - even when he was getting ready to chase a squirrel.

He's such a sweetheart! I just love him.

He's extremely protective of his rawhide bone, though. He'll let me grab it but he really growls when he thinks Jake is too close to it. So - the rule is that Max can only play with his toys in his crate, and Jake's not allowed in the crate. Also the mudroom belongs to Jake - we feed Jake in the mudroom and feed Max in the crate, because I have a feeling Max would have food bowl issues.

What do you think?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Originally posted by stacwase
    My son and I took the dogs for a walk this morning. We didn't put Max on his gentle lead because the one we bought is too big for him and we want to return it. He pulled so hard on his lead that my back is sore! But he's pretty obedient. When he got too out of control I would just tell him to sit, and he sat immediately - even when he was getting ready to chase a squirrel.

That is amazaing...the sit immediately part, even when he was getting ready to chase a squirrel. It shows that your dog is highly trainable. So with the pulling, just start teaching a command such as *no pulling*. There is also the method of just stopping in your tracks every time the dog starts to pull and soon he will realize that if he pulls, he isn't going to get to go anywhere. I also teach my dogs the word *stop*.

The best way to prevent pulling is to teach him to heel. Of course a walk at heel is just one form of exercise, a walk with being able to run here and there uses a bit more of the expendable energy.

When you use that 50 ft. leash and Max, being a big strong dog and on a flat out run, you must be prepared to brace yourself when he comes to the extention of that leash. You don't want him to pull your arm out of its socket, and he needs to know there is something he can do to prevent getting the inevitable jerk when he gets to the end of that line. Here's where you'd want to call out that *stop* command.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Here are some more pictures of Max!

Hmmmm - anybody have any idea why that didn't work? I'll just attach the photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

And one more:

Wow! Is he ever pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Congratulations!
    Max is a lovely looking dog! I`m sure you are going to have great times together!

He's gorgeous!! Congatulations and welcome home beautiful Max!! You must be so excited!! I'm sure he's so thrilled to finally have his forever home!! And a doggie pal!

As for the exercise... I have to say that I am definitley not in favor of the use of cables or tie outs, especially with younger, larger very active dogs. They really don't get real exercise while attached to them and the potential for them choking, becoming entangled or strangled by their leads is too great. My friend's Lab snapped it's neck and died while trying to catch a squirrel while on a cable run. Another broke his spine as he was jerked back after hitting the end of the run.

Do you have any hiking trails, paths, a reservoir near you?? A short walk around then neighborhood will definitely not do it for such a young, active dog. But a brisk, hour long walk through "interesting territory" would definitely help to tire him out physically and mentally! And OBEDIENCE TRAINING!!! Did the shelter require you to attend one 6 week course?? I know many do. Even if not, it sounds like Max would do well with a little brush up on the basics and he'll have great fun meeting the other dogs and those classes are a mental workout as well as a physical one! AND it's a great way for you/your family to establish a bond with him and establish who's alpha! After basic obdience you can attend advanced classes where much of the work is off lead and they get a real work out; agility too is great! A lot of doggie training/daycare facilities have fenced in areas they you can "rent" by the hour; usually around 10.00. Maybe once a week you could take him there and give him a good workout with a ball, or such. I'm sure you'll come up with great ideas as time goes on. Right now I'm sure he's extra excited to be finally home!! Hugs to you Max!!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Great ideas, Tats!

Actually - I think he'd do extremely well in agility.

He jumped our fence 3 times already. I do have him on a 15-foot leash when I put him out (just in case), and I don't leave him out very long. Just long enough to go pottie. He didn't even have to put any effort into it! He was just sitting by the fence and got up and hopped over! It's about 4 1/2 feet high.

Are obedience training and agility expensive?

I think he must have had some obedience training, because he knows sit, stay, and lay down - and obeys very consistently.

He's doing really well today - I just took him out for a walk this morning and I've let him have the run of the house today (supervised) and he's doing fine. Maybe yesterday he was just really hyper because he was excited about his new environment.

My husband has bonsai stands in front of three windows in our parlor. Max just loves to look out those windows - and he hasn't so much as bumped a bonsai stand.

Oh - he caught the cat again today! Licked him half to death.

I just love this dog!!!!

Woo hoo!!!!! I'll bet he was extra excited yesterday being in his new digs!! He sounds so terrific!! Kissing the kitty; what a sweetie! And he already knows so many commands! I just love his ears Makes you wonder how someone else's throwaway is someone else's dream dog! As for the classes...around here it's around 60.00 for a 6-7 week course, 1 hr. per class/obedience or agility. If you can manage it, it's well work the investment. And 10.00 for an hour class isn't too bad! And Max is DEFINITELY agility material!! Wow, jumping a 4 ft. plus fence in a single bound!!! For now, enjoy your beautiful new boy!! I'm so happy for you! And him!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Speaking of ears - he does the cutest things with his ears! He was laying on the floor in front of TV, sleeping, but every time country music came on, his ear would go straight up. It was so cute.

Here's another picture - Max with my son, Kyler!

One more

Originally posted by mugsy
    Very cool Anna!! Mike and I just got bikes yesterday at a garage sale ($10 each and they're mountain bikes!!), we could do that with ours!! Great idea...Thanks!
    Mugsy - just remember, you can't have 10 dogs attached to each bike!

----

Max, congratulations on your new home and family - you are a beautiful fellow!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Max is gorgeous!!!!
    He sure looks like fun!!! Agility would be a lot of fun for you and Max--I don't know about the cost, but I'm sure he would love it!!!

I want a bike thing (gotta get a bike first)--how much are they anna???
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Max is soooo gorgeous!!!! Congrats! There a great pair!