Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duncan and the Emergency Clinic

Duncan and the Emergency Clinic

I had to take Duncan to the emergency clinic last night around 11pm. He is doing well now just to ease your minds!! But last night was a pet owner's nightmare!! First of all, I received a phone call at work yesterday from one of the neighbors that is a friend of mine. He said that Duncan was outside running loose in the neighborhood and that the front door was ajar. (He didn't try to catch him because as some of you know, Duncan is fairly aggressive and this particular friend had already been bit once by Duncan)I had gone home for lunch and I know I shut the front door but I didn't lock it since my roommate hardly ever has her key and Duncan is the best security system you could have... But I think either someone tried to get in and left it ajar or the wind blew it open or ??? Anyway, Duncan got out.... I came home and started searching for him.. He came running out from behind the neighbor's house and jumped into the car (through the window, I mioght add! ) Covered in mud, soaking wet but he looked happy and healthy despite his adventure.
    So I hung around the house with him cleaning him up and uch for about 1 1/2 hours. Then I went to play racquetball. When I returned home around 10:30, he was a mess!! He was on my bed and he came to the door to greet me but his eyes looked glassy and his pupils were really dilated. He couldn't sit up straight and was wobbly and tilting form side to side. He was shaking like a leaf all over, his heart beat was very slow...I rushed him to the hospital. He sat in my lap all 100 lbs of him, crying and shivering. It was awful. I was crying so hard, I had to call my friend to come over and fill out the paperwork for me. I didn't want to stop holding him for a second....
    Anyway, he saw the vet. At first they thought that perhaps he was hit by a car but they ruled that out and we all agreed he appeared tohave been poisoned, either deliberately or got himself into something toxic on his afternoon adventure....
    The symptoms, however, were opposite of most toxic poisoning....
    his heart rate was slow, pupils dilated almost to the point of blindness...so we ruled out chocolate, nicotine, caffeine....I was terrified it was antifreeze but they did a test and it wasn't Thank you God!!! So to give you the good news, I had to leave him there overnight which was torture. I hardly slept a wink. I picked him up at 7 am and took him to his regular vet and they admitted him there. He has been there all day, getting fluids and being observed. The vet called at 11ish and said that other than his pupils still being dilated, he seems to be better.....I can pick him up at 5pm if he is ok and I haven't heard otherwise....(Keep your fingers crossed.) I have no idea what type of poison it was...the vet thought maybe marijuana poisoning....although I don't have any!! I don't know about the neighbor's though....
    So I am leaving now to go get him! If these symptoms sound familiar to anyone, let me know. The vets are stumped also. I'm just so ecstatic that he is alive!!!
    I will update again tomorrow!

What an awful experience for both you and Duncan. I certainly hope that he comes through this with no after-effects. In the meantime, lock the door and tell your roommate it is time to grow up and remember to take her keys.
    Last edited by Rachel; 04-24-2003 at 10:03 PM.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I'm glad to hear that everything has worked out so far. Nawtee doggie!
    ~Kat

How scary!!! Glad to hear things seem to be going better...fingers crossed that will continue!!!

I agree that that had to be very scary! Who would have believed that just being loose for a time would create such an awful result. Thank God whatever it was has seemed to move on through his system. Will hope and pray that all continues to improve.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Oh Jennifer! My heart beat raced when I read the title of your post. You must have been terrified!!! You poor thing!

How is Duncan now? Is he coming home with you tonight? Have they figured out what could have caused this? Poor Duncan. I hope he is feeling better.

Any idea how he got out? Unless you have a swinging door, I don't see how the wind could have blown it open.

The good thing is that he has been taken care of and treated by the vet.

Hugs to you and Duncan!

Oh NO!!!!! Not dear Duncan!! I felt your pain with every word, Jennifer!! Poisoning, either deliberate of accidental, is one of my biggest fears. Those who do not like dogs ARE capable of such a horror. But the important thing is that he will be ok. I sure hope so!!!! Please update us tomorrow! Duncan, you're in my prayers, sweetheart.....Love, Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

How scary for you. (poisoning is just one of my mamy
    fears) My Aunt and Uncle say I am paranoid when
    it comes to my dogs.

Please let us know how Duncan is doing, I will
    be thinking and sending many good thoughts your way.

----<---<--<{(@

I hope and pray everything turns out great. What a horrible nightmare you are going through. My prayers are with you and Duncan. Please Please keep us updated.

Morning everyone! Thanks for all the responses and the well wishes! I picked Duncan up last night from the vet's office. He is 100% or almost...... The vets still are not sure what substance he may have ingested that made him so ill. She did say that it was probably some type of chemical because of the neurological effects...He seems so much better. He was hungry and ate his dinner last night. His pupils are still dilated but much much less....and the vet said that it should diminish a little every day for the next few days. I snuggled with him all night and told him over and over again how happy and lucky I was to have him in my life. I'm going to thank him every day for being alive and loving me! He is my best friend in the whole world and coming so close to losing him was the most terrifying experience I have ever had.....Kiss and hug your pets as much as they can stand! Give them an extra one from me!

What a nightmare!

I'm so glad to hear that he's ok & your able to pick him up from the vets.
    That is so strange, please keep us updated on how he's doing.
    Feel better soon Duncan!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

EEK!

I'm so happy to hear that Duncan is getting better.

I'd be a wreck if I were in your shoes.

Give Duncan a hug for me.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

It's so good to know that Duncan is better and on his way to recover fully. It must have been a terrible experience for both of you.
    I'm going to start a new thread with all the things in the garden that may be toxic to our pets.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Poor Jennifer! Poor Duncan!! I know it had to be scary enough for you that he got out of the house when you weren't there. Thank goodness your neighbor could call and let you know.

I'm so glad he is going to be ok, Jennifer. Hope you were able to get some much needed rest last night!! I know you were relieved to have him back home where he belongs.

Whew!!!!

Souraya, I really don't know how the door got opened.... It is an old house and this winter we did have some trouble with it. It would expand or shrink with the temperature changes and I have seen it pop open before. It hasn't done it in a really long time and I honestly didn't think about it.... It is locked and chained today!
    There is another strange thing that happened the other day that is making me suspicious....a few weeks ago Duncan bit the neighbor, the college kid that lives on one side of me. He was on a leash but I had forgotten his collar so I had 2 leashes hooked together and looped around his neck. So I underestimated how far he could reach. The silly neighbor reached down to pet him and before I could tell him not to touch him, Duncan bit him in the arm. The bite didn't break the skin but it did rip his winter jacket. I told him I would buy him a new winter jacket for $200 IF he didn't turn Duncan in to the health department. I didn't want Duncan to get in trouble and since the bite didn't break the skin, I saw no reason to report it. I gave the neighbor a copy of Duncan's rabies certificate for his records and peace of mind. Well, a few days later, I received a letter from the health department telling me that they had received notice of a bite and that Duncan had to be quarantined for 10 days. I called a friend of mine at the health department and he didn't have to go away for 10 days after all. But I was so angry at him. So I didn't give him the $200. Perhaps I'm wrong but I refuse to give him any money....he will have to sue me now and I don't think he will. So anyway, he and I had a "discussion" about this the same day that Duncan got out. So I am a bit concerned that he did something to Duncan. Our front door window has a crack in the plexiglass that is large enough to stick a hand through.... I don't think he would do anything but it is a coincidence.
    I am moving on May 3rd however to an apartment by myself with Duncan. I can't wait! I can't have all these unknown variables in Duncan's life. It's not safe for him and I need a place for him where I don't have to worry about others.

Anyway, he is feeling fine now and if I can just get through the nest week and a half, he will be safe!!