Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: how much was your dog?

Originally posted by marysmerrycats

I wonder, do any of these breeders ever go to any shelters and see those dogs, do they ever donate money to them?
    it is a difficult subject, because I also have certain breeds in mind that I would love to have someday, but..
    Yes, some do. I know there's a Siberian Husky kennel in Utah and they breed show huskies as well as racing huskies (they train them and race them also, not just breed them). And I know she also rescues sibes and adopts them out. (I would have loved to get a dog from her but she didn't have any pups or rescues at the time)

Originally posted by anna_66
    Before I answer, I'd like to say, before I joined Pet Talk I never knew what a puppy mill was, or a backyard breeder. I was ignorant

That's exactly the same for me. When we were looking into getting a dog, I had no idea where to start. We searched through the local humane societies, but they were empty or had one or two dogs with real issues. Since we were "newbies" we didn't feel comfortable starting out with issues. Labs in the petstore were going for $900 and I wasn't comfortable paying that as you had no idea if they were healthy or not. When we found Malone, he was from a clean but still a BYB. If I had known about them, I would have searched for a lab rescue...but I didn't know. We spent $300 for him, but he is certainly priceless to me!!

I am so glad to have found pettalk and am now educated and realize some of the issues behind BYB and petstore pets. Thanks Pettalk!!!

Deisel: $125 (SPCA)
    Phoebe: $200 (ROTTIE RESCUE)

Since Misty was a rescue she was free! At the time we were short on money so we made an 100 dollar donation. I think its a good idea not to charge for rescues..just to donate..because there probably would have been a lot of rescues.probably double what we have today. if they had HIGH prices for them.

Does anyone agree?

Misty loves you! Do you love misty?Awww, look at that cute face! Who can resist?

"Shoot for the moon because even if you miss, you will still land among the stars."

Re: how much was your dog?

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I have herd someone say their dog was like $800.00 . ..

how much was your dog?
    I think I said that.
    Rusty: $850.00
    [color=royal blue]LOVING MOMMY TO MY FUR BABY, RUSTY![/COLOR]

THANX SOOOO MUCH TO POPCORNBIRD FOR THE GREAT SIG!!!!
    DOGLOVRFOREVR

When I adpoted Missy they charged me $75 for her, but that included her being spayed and her first set of shots which I didn't think was a bad deal.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Like some others, I would never buy a dog. As I'm sure most of you know, my life revolves around rescuing animals. Its really ALL I do. And when I say that, I am not trying to say that people who go to breeders are wrong. I am just saying what is right for ME. But what is right for me may not be right for the next person so I am not here to judge. And I completely understand falling in love with pet store dogs or backyard breeder dogs. We can say not to support BYB's, but I bet most of us wouldn't be able to turn our back on the innocent lives if we saw their little eyes looking at us in person.

I hope those of you who have dogs from breeders don't think I'm implying anything about you when I talk about rescue all the time. I talk about it all the time because its my life. I work at one shelter and volunteer at 2 and do transports for rescues. Its hard to not talk about it when so highly involved. But I am not trying to imply anything about you or your dogs.

All my dogs came from the shelter, and 2 of them were free because they were "unadoptable". The shelter just signed them over to me (they know me anyway because I've been volunteering there for years). Reece had an adoption fee. My cat was free because I got her off the street. And they all cost me about a billion dollars in vet bills and pet store visits

Oh yeah, I just wanted to add that since I'm in shelters every day, I can tell you that you can find any breed, size, shape, color, personality there. It just may take longer if you're looking for something really specific. But I have seen everything from purebred puppies to senior mutts. I am sure it is different in a few other areas, but most of the time you can find any type of dog at the shelter if you live in a big city. This isn't directed at anyone. I just wanted to point it out since I see everything here that comes in and out of the shelter on a daily basis.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

aly
    no I could not turn my back on a back yard bred dog, BUT I would not be there in the first place, so I would not see it... and by not getting one, I don't have to turn my back on shelter animals!

now, I don't mean to insult anyone that has got their dog that way in the past.. past is past.

Mary - I agree with you. I didn't mean to aim that comment to you. I was just trying to tell those people that I understand, although I wouldn't have been there either.

I hope I'm making sense. Forgive me, I haven't had much sleep in the past month since I've had all these foster babies.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

No it wasnt you. I herd someone say it at overwaitea. lol I was shoping with my mom and I herd a lady talking about her min pincher and how it coast $800.00..

I knew very well of back yard breeders ect.. my mom wont even let me look at pups at a puppy mill, there is one Where I live it is a junk yard. One of my friends bought a pure bred golden from them, and it died a month later. the pups there are sick very sick. the ppl who run it are sick in the head.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

aly
    I know you didnt mean me, I didnt think it was aimed at me, that was just my opinion... and I know you have had a tough time with the fosters, I don't know how you do it all by yourself! try to get some rest, you have to take care of YOU, too!

Jynnelle, did you call the SPCA on them??? You should..
    I didn't even know that there were puppy mills in Kelowna That's so sad, I hope that the owners stop doing this
    I've been BOO'd!

The United States - the southern part, that is :)
    My first dog, Levi, was around $150.
    (Who "ran away") Why do parents think they can fool us?

My second dog, Maggie, was free.
    ~*~YGirl Sleuth~*~

No boy is worth tears. But when you find the one that is, he will never make you cry

Originally posted by doglovrforevr
    I think It was me... Rusty was $850.00. The reason is because his parednts are BEAUTIFUL show dogs and they win shows.
    What kind of dog is Rusty?
    I can't tell from the pics.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I got Max for $20.00 at a pet store.. &hes a big big doggy now