Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chylothorax??

hi,
    i'm so glad to hear lucky is doing well!

i spoke with my vet, she seems to have a pretty good handle on things right now. unfortunately, different cats will respond to treatment differently...ozzy is on rutin, and has been for a lil over a month. his heart is good- so he doesn't require lasix at this point.

that's why this is all so frustrating...who knows when it will go away...there's is nothing more to do for our animal friends- but manage the symptoms. which means i have to monitor when ozzy coughs, and take him in when it's too much. according to my vet, there is no proof that rutin works- but its the only thing that might help. if it does - great!! if not, no further harm done.

tonight, he's been playing with his brothers, so i think i can safely say he's feeling a bit better after being tapped.

so...sleeping with one eye open continues...

take care-
    ozzlou

I think we can use Bassett as proof that Rutin works.. she's done so well since being on it. Since there are no side effects, I'm not going to "test" it and take her off to see what happens!!!

It's great to know all our chylo-babies are doing better

Yeah, I think Lucky is proof that the Rutin works too! I hope it works for Ozzy

LOL, I think I still sleep with one eye open! I know my ears are always hearing......I think I hear everything at night. Sometimes that's good, and other times its not!!

Keep us posted with Ozzy.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

hi.

i think when my vet says there's no proof rutin works, she referring to clinical trials...like we know motrin is an anti inflammatory, cuz everyone has that result. i'm counting on it working, myself.

you won't see me taking him off the rutin anytime...i wonder if the difference is that his has to be in liquid form...he's so stubborn he won't take pills. last time there was a pill offered to him- it took 2 vet techs and the vet to try and shoot it down his throat, and he still spit it out...lil stinker.

i'm glad that bassett and lucky are doing well...it makes me optpmistic. ozz coughed once last night, i wasn't home for a while- so i'm hoping he was ok today.
    his spirits seem to be good, so i think the tap did him well.
    i'll just keep praying!

thanks for checking in, guys.
    ozzlou

Prays for the chylo kitties!

That's so awful! I hope that all three of PT's chylo kitties are doing well, especially Ozzy! I can't believe they took so much fluid out of his lungs, the poor thing ... he is lucky to have such a good Mum like you - there are so many disgusting people out there who would abandon a sick kitty because it is "too much trouble"

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

How is Ozz today??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

hi slick,
    thanks for asking.
    on weekends, i work 12 hr shifts...so i don't really know how his whole day went.
    i do know that last night he had a coughing spell, and unless i'm totally paraniod (quite possible ) it sounded like a harder cough than usual. the spell seemed to last longer too.
    he greeted me when i got home this eve...and he gobbled up his medicine...so he seems fine.
    in fact- between coughing fits- he seems like a perfectly happy kitty, who loves to play with his brother.
    i guess i should be thankful for that.

thanks for asking.
    ozzlou

Be thankful for small mercies, I say. I think if I were in your shoes I'd be soooo paranoid. If my kitty had coughing spells, I go nuts! I'm really praying hard that things improve for you and that the medication works. Please give Ozz kisses from me.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

well...
    we're off to the vet again today....
    i made an appt for 3pm...to get an xray, and possibly tap him.
    he's been coughing too much, and i don't like the sound of it.

paranoid?
    definately...
    frustrated??
    hell yeah.

ozzlou

Keep your chin up! I know this is frustrating, but unfortunetly we have to go through it.

Let us know what happened at the Vet's...........

Lucky had a coughing fit last night too, needless to say just as I was beginning to sleep with both eyes closed! Hope its nothing here, hopefully just allergies. But that's what we all thought in the beginning.

Good luck.......
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

hi,

i hate that you're going through this too...but glad i have someone who knows the total and utter frustration.

they tapped 150cc's off his lungs today. that makes 240cc's total, including last week. we're going to try some theophyline, to see if it will help with his breathing. i prolly spelled it wrong- but its a bronchodilator, and may improve his lung capacity. i'm praying really really hard that it helps.

praying really, really, really, really, really hard for all of our kitties.

take care,
    ozzlou

Praying really really really and really hard here too. Please get well Ozzy!!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

thanks for the prayers...keep them coming.

ozzy was just tapped yesterday, and is already coughing today.
    the idea is, that if he was just tapped, he should have no reason for coughing...

take care
    ozzlou

CatsnClay...how's Lucky?

Ozzlou...How's your cat?
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Yes, how are the other babes doing? I was noticing today how well Bassett is doing.. she is playing a lot more which is something she hasn't done in years.

I pray for your kids every day.. I hope they are doing well