Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED!

JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED!

Hi guys! I'm SOOOO EXCITED?!!@!@!!!! Some of you who have been here longer know the story of my Harley. Well I've been really depressed this month since December 1st was the one year anniversary of when I adopted Harley. WELLLL... my perfect medicine came into the shelter today. In the exact form of Harley!!!! ... just a little smaller. He's a 10 month old Wirehair Fox Terrier named Woody. He's got the same spunk, stubborness, dominance, and attitude that makes the breed so darn cute!

Well, the second Woody walked in the door with the woman who was surrendering him, I attached to him and didn't leave him alone! His old owner surrendered him because he "got bigger"

Anyway, I have Woody here with me on a trial basis. I need to watch him with Shiloh and Lolly. He and Reece are fine, although still working out who's top dog Lolly is cautious of Woody, but not freaked out. I haven't introduced Shiloh to him yet. Nothing could ever replace Harley in my heart, but after spending the whole day with Woody, I just felt like I really wanted to try to adopt him. Especially since everyone interested in him were REALLLLLY bad applications!!!!

Here's Woody:

And here's Harley

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Oooh, boy, does trouble come in cute packages, or what? Just looking at that terrier grin makes me think he's up to something ...
    I've Been Frosted

Aly, he is adorable, what a cute babie he is. I don't blame you I would fall for him too.

By the way, Reece, Lolly, and Shiloh are our Dogs and Cat of the next week. http://communities.msn.com/fortheloveofdogs

I know you don't like msn, but just come in long enough to look at their pictures. LOL
    Jackie

Awwww thanks for reminding me Jackie. They look sooooo cute

I really do mean to visit your community more often even though I don't care for MSN, but I get busy and forget
    Alyson

What a cutie! Go ahead, adopt him!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Oh what a cute boy Woody is, Aly. It's such a shame that he was surrendered because he was "getting too big", I wish people would use their brains before getting puppies, but he really landed himself in the right shelter! I think it'd be great if you adopted him, and I hope he gets along with Shiloh better then Harley did. Are you going to sneak him in to your apartment, or are you planning a move into a house or someplace where you can keep more animals?

Leslie - I'm going to resort to begging!! I will pay them an extra deposit and even let them keep all the refundable parts of my pet deposits. I hope they will let me.

This boy is just a doll. He's not really dominant with people, just animals. Even then, he's not near as dominant as Harley. He's smart as can be! I've had him up at work behind the desk with me again today. I taught him 3 tricks in the past two days. He can now jump into my arms with a signal (he jumps straight up while I'm standing and I catch him), walk on his hind legs backward on command, and walk backwards on all fours on another signal.

The good news is although he has selective hearing, he seems to have it only with other people. But he almost always listens to me. I love him soooo much. The bad news is his energy level may be way too much for Lolly and Shiloh. I'll give it time though.

Oh and he's only 8 months, not 10.
    Alyson

Oh, Aly, you are going to put me into my "I want a Wirehair Fox Terrier" mode again. This is torture seeing this little guy. I am so drawn to the "bad boys". At least I can live vicariously through you. I've got my fingers crossed that this one will work out. I've never forgotten Harley and it is a good thing at the time I didn't know that the Wisconsin adoption didn't work out because had I known I would have had my husband drive me up there and picked him up. (Right, like my husband would have done it! ha).

Well it looks like this WILL NOT work out. If fact I'm sure it won't. For one thing, fox terriers and cats do not mix. I introduced Woody and Shiloh this morning and Woody was on a mission to seek and destroy cat.

Reece and Woody have a constant struggle for dominance. Being 2 males of the same size and close age, I should have expected it. But I thought Reece was Mr. Submissive. Turns out he's not, especially in his territory. They do have their moments of nice play, but only when distracted by a toy. But if they get tired of the toy, Woody pushes and pushes and pushes Reece with dominant moves. Reece corrects him and Woody comes charging back. He's REALLY dominant.

Lolly surprised me by going up to Woody and play bowing when she met him. But in about 5 seconds flat she'd had enough of him and ran away. I can hold her on the couch while Reece and Woody play and she's fine, but if Woody gets near her, she'll yelp and yap.

I emailed the woman who took Harley to see if she knew of anyone looking for a WH Fox Terrier. Someone who has experience in this breed really needs to take him. He's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful dog, but he does need work. I love him to death. Its another heartbreak but maybe someday I'll be able to have another wirehair fox terrier
    Alyson

Great news! The woman who fostered Harley is coming to pick up Woody next week. She's going to foster him and place him in a home
    Alyson

Great News! Too bad you couldn't keep Woody. I know it probably broke your heart He is a looker too! So handsome.

Aly, whatever finally happened with Harley?
    Did he find a forever home? Any reports?

aly, you are bound and determined to catch up aren't you? lol I'm really sorry he didn't work out. We have had our share of dominance issues, but luckily Mike works it out beautifully. He gets in their faces and lets them know exactly who is the alpha and then they back down and if there is an issue, then we raise our voices and that's the end of it. I know it's not easy. Good luck, and I'm sure you will find your perfect match soon.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Oh, boooo!!! Still, better you wait it out Aly until the perfect match comes along. Woody is beautiful! What a scamp!! I think before long he'll find the perfect forever home! Hang in there. And Aly, your Xmas photos were ADORABLE!!!!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing so hard. I had to get up to take all the dogs out because I have another extra one at my house. She's way too scared for the shelter and I just couldn't resist her big brown eyes so I took her home from work today. Anyway, when she went to the bathroom, she had both of her back legs up off the ground and she walked on her front legs while peeing. HAHAHA! It was so funny. I can't stop laughing!! She's doing SOOO GOOD now that she's out of the shelter. She can't be around Woody but she loves Reece, Lolly, and Shiloh. All four of them were laying on the couch together earlier. She'd be the PERFECT addition to the household but she got 3 applications today They aren't very good living environments for her because all of the people who applied have really loud kids. I'll get her picture up as soon as I can. Its hard to take one of her because she's scared to death of the camera.

Rachel - Harley was placed with a retired woman in Texas. When the foster mom took him to his new home, she said he was so incredibly well behaved it was like he knew he was finally home. She got a Christmas card from the woman saying how wonderful she and Harley are doing together It still breaks my heart to think about him, but I am so glad he is doing good.

mugsy - Woody isn't actually dominant with me, just with the dogs! He pushes Reece so much, he brings out a side in Reece I have NEVER EVER seen!

Sandra - Thanks I was hoping you all would like the pics

I got a picture of the little girl while I was typing this. It about scared her to death and made her shake violently though so I can't take anymore. Her name is Willow and she's a Cairn Terrier mix.

Another little scruffy terrier I fell in love with... go figure
    Alyson