Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Sage!

Help Sage!

My gebil Sage is not getting better. He take this medication now, it is yellow and it goea into his water. He wont drink, I never see him drink. He hasnt drank for at least 2 days.Do you think he is lonely? What should I do.?? I am thinking about takeing him back to the store so he can be housed with other gerbils. But I dont know if thats best. I dont want him to becom snake food. Help.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

it didnt come with the package, it is juat yellow pills in a foil package I can take a pick if you want?

isnt Ornacyn Plus for birds? My Sage is a gerbil.

here is his meds, in the package...

usually a baytril injection will fix this sort of thing But the vet didnt find it nessary? I hate this.

maybe you should take Sage to the store and ask them why he isn't getting better

~*~Thanks Liana For The AWESOME sig!~*~

Tweety_Pie

~*~Kelsey~*~

good idea.

omg really it molds. I better change his water asap. I called EVERY VET in my area and NON are open. What do I do?

I am gunna take a pic of the pill out of the package and tell me if it looks like ornacyn plus. They said the vet looked at him, they might have lied.

here is his meds...

I have to crush it up with a knife and then put it in 2 mils of water, with a knife tip of sugar. then shake it up till disolved.

YES THAT IS ORNACYN PLUS!!!! He needs REAL meds, that is not going to clear up an ear infection. Your gerbil will die if he isn't treated. He needs to see a vet immediately!

You are supposed to mix it with 8 ounces of water, a full water bottles full as it tastes really bitter. The problem with these meds are that the animals do not get a sufficent amount of the antibiotic. Even in 2 ml it's very bitter and they won't drink it. He needs to have water if he has not drank if he will become dehydrated.

Aother thing is that if you give these meds they are light sensitive so you need to cover the water bottle with foil so that the antibiotic stays full strength. Same goes for tetacycline.

Do a search for this "RMCA Drug Chart" and after you find the site, look for either Ornacycline or Tetracycline and it will tell you why it's not good to use these meds. He needs Baytril or at least Clavamox...at the least. Don't ever trust that a petstore will take care of them. They don't take animals to the vet because they lose money. A true vet, knowing your gerbil had an ear infection would NOT give these meds, he would have prescribed something stronger.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

omg what do I do? I guess start by covering his water bottle with foil. and then what. I hate that pet store. .. I am totaly sqrewed because my mom wont take him to the vet. she says the meds are medication and they will work, she refuses to beleive other wise. . I dont know what to do. . I guess give him as much love as I can for the time being. and keep giving him the stupid meds that do nothing. I tasted one and it tasted so bitter. It says to sweeten with sugar and only use 2mls of water for each pill. the directions were wrote on a postet. So I guess I will use 8 mls ??? I seen Sage drinking today. so thats a good sign. I hate this. I thought This would all be over. I guess not. *sigh*

Another good thing to sweeten it with is powdered hummingbird nectar. I'd sneak him to the vet. I bussed to my vet with my mouse when he started barbering.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Another good thing to sweeten it with is powdered hummingbird nectar. I'd sneak him to the vet. I bussed to my vet with my mouse when he started barbering.
    I am going to get my mom to buy some humming bird nectar she wants some ne ways. I will add it to Sages water asap.

And about sneaking to the vet, that wouldent work. You have to make an appointment and have it approved. I also dont have the money to "sneak to the vet". And if my mom get a bill for it in the mail she would give sage away. along with my hamsters. .

If I were you, I would call the petstore, demand to speak to the manager, and threaten to sue him for selling you sick livestock and then lieing about giving it needed medical attention if he doesn't give it some real meds...

Some people are sooo stupid!!!
    I've been BOO'd!