Thread: Add Gwen to my list!

Add Gwen to my list!

I found out that the woman who had planned to adopt Lacie's meezer baby girl was planning to have her declawed!!!!

Needless to say, I put a stop to that adoption! I will now be keeping Gwen here with my gang!

Yes, I need to be shot!!! hehehe

Kim

My Gwen:

Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I'm so glad that you found out about this declawing information before it was too late. Gwen will make a great addition to your household. She's such a sweetheart. No, I don't think that you're crazy for wanting to keep her too. I'm just so glad that you were able to stop the adoption and that now Gwen will have a happy loving forever home with you and all the other kittens and cats.

CONGRATS!!!!

Welcome to the gang Gwen!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Gwen is such a sweetie. How lucky both of you are

I think someone need to give you a "kitten fever" innocculation (sp?) before it is too late!

Now I know why it has been so hard for me to get ahold of a foster mom cat of my own.............KIM HAS THEM ALL!!!!!!!

In all honesty, though, you are so lucky to be able to keep some of the babies. I have to pomise myself to NOT take any for myself.

Little Gwen is the cutest!!!

Education, education, education...

Having had cats declawed myself, in the past, I have found that hardly anyone tries to educate the prospective owners about training cats to posts. I am a true believer that most cats would prefer a post to the sofa! Please try to educate these folks when you turn them away. There will just go on to the next person, get the cat, declaw etc.

There is such controversy about declawing and I know that from time to time it comes up here. Lots of people declaw cats. Does that make them bad people, no, it makes me believe that no one ever offered them an alternative to declawing. Maybe you can find a way to give away scratching posts with the cats.

Please don't be so harsh on people who have declawed their cats. I just know that they didn't do it to be mean, just to save their furniture and not be constantly yelling at their cats.

One of the other things you can do for your kittens and cats is get them used to having their nails clipped - show the prospective owners how to do it and then show them how to train the cat to the post....and show them how you have AlREADY trained them...in preparation.

Declawing is expensive and I suspect people would rather not do it....just give them the education please!

Thanks for listening!

SAS
    P. S. I am not convinced that cats even know that they don't have claws, when they have been declawed. They still use the glands under their paw pads and often keep scratching away, sans the claws!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 04-18-2003 at 07:45 AM.

I have to agree with SAS, some people just don't know about the alternative methods. I found out about e.g. Soft Paws only on this forum. And if we think this is important, we have to explain it to people. More people know, better for all the kitties. Still, I think, it should be forbidden, this way more people would know that this is cruel and they have to find alternatives.
    Fortunately, they don't declaw here, and I would have never thought of doing it to my kitties.

Wow, that was close, but I'm glad that you decided to keep her. I would NEVER let anyone declaw if I could stop it. I'm so glad you put a stop to this.
    Gwen is so cute too!
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

other "red flags"

I didn't want to get in to everything about this woman.... but their were other "red flags" .... the declawing was just the icing on the cake so to speak. I really felt horrible about going back on her... in fact she called me this morning. I held to my guns.... but it was very difficult!!! She claimed that she was only going to get her declawed because she thought it would make ME happy!!!?
    I was like WHAT? She assumed that because I insisted they be kept indoors, that having them declawed would INSURE me of that!? Whatever, I know she thought she was doing the right thing, but like I said... other "red flags" .... such as:

This woman has several health problems, another just diagnosed this week. She mentioned how she has trouble bending over and moving around fast .... it would be very hard for her with 1 much less 2 baby kittens!!!

She just got laid off from her job last week .... again, I'm sorry ... but she can't provide for these babies without income. Also she apparently moves around alot. She just moved into the basement of an old home , and is already talking about wanting to move again. This basement has ZERO windows ... no sunlight or fresh air AT ALL for the kitties! Again, a sad situation for the woman as well, but I have to represent the defenseless cats ... I can't represent the people as well.

I have learned that most cats do not adjust well to alot of moving around! I think I may even keep ALL of the 20 cats / kittens I have now and devote my time and life to providing the absolute best I can for them! If so, I will not / can not take in any more.

Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Kim I am so happy you are keeping Gwen! I can't wait to see how dark her points turn as she gets older.

I am glad you are careful about screening people who want your foster kittens.
    It sounds like this lady needs to get her life together more before adding kittens or any pets to her life.

I am curious, how many full-time and how many foster cats do you have in your house now?
    You may just end up keeping all of your fosters but that way you will be sure that they have a great home!
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy